AL and NL manager of the year | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

AL and NL manager of the year

Alex44 said:
Managers need to get the mental part of the game down for the players (especially young ones) Pinch hit in the right spot, go to the bullpen in the right spot, keep the players head up

IMO managers do a lot more than people seem to give them credit for, If a manager gets his players to play 110% he is a great manager IMO and he will win more games

MLB managers are glorified babysitters. They make sure their millionare players are happy. Make sure their egos are in check and they aren't feeling disrespected.

That is 90% of their job. The other 10% is, do we call a bunt in the 7th inning to advance a runner. And do we pull a double switch here. And those "rules of game" are all but written in stone and managers can live and die by the numbers there and not get in too much hot water.

MikeO said:
MLB managers are glorified babysitters. They make sure their millionare players are happy. Make sure their egos are in check and they aren't feeling disrespected.

That is 90% of their job. The other 10% is, do we call a bunt in the 7th inning to advance a runner. And do we pull a double switch here. And those "rules of game" are all but written in stone and managers can live and die by the numbers there and not get in too much hot water.

On teams like the Yankees and Red Sox your right.

But on younger teams the manager and how he handles them is extremely important IMO also I think a team liking/respecting their manager is important to (especially if you have egos on the team)

MikeO said:
cause you ran him out of town for losing the 2003 ALCS when it wasn't his fault. In all honesty it wasn't.

Now he rebounds and shows the world how good of a manager he is. While Francona did win in 2004, but take away a few weeks in that October he has been a disaster ever since.

It's a little FU from Grady if he wins manager of the year

:sidelol:

Classic clueless/Red Sox hate post. It just proves how little (no pun intended) you know about Little and how bad of an in game manager Grady was. Forget about the Game 7 thing for a minute. He was just a brutual manager. He was a great clubhouse manager but when the game was on the line he would make the dumbest decisions known to man. Like take David Ortiz and Manny out of games for pinch runners in the 7th innings of games in close situations. Always mis-managing the pen or batting. He was terrible.

The fact is half of the Red Sox FO didn't want to hire the guy but did only because he was known as a good clubhouse man the and clubhouse before he arrived was the worst in baseball should tell you something.

Go read "Feeding the Monster" so you can be better informed.

Now about Game 7: Who's fault was it for Game 7 then? He had control of the team, and had every member of the pen healthy and ready yet let Pedro stay in a game he clearly had no business being in. He watched the guy die for 2 years at the 100 pitch mark yet leaves him in around that in the biggest game of his career? Sorry but he's a bad manager. Game 7 was just the icing on the cake for his exit.

Alex44 said:

But on younger teams the manager and how he handles them is extremely important IMO also I think a team liking/respecting their manager is important to (especially if you have egos on the team)

then explain the Reds Jerry Narron is a terrible manager and the reds have been playing good

Alex44 said:

The big thing managers can do is kill their pitching staff especially young pitchers. You don't see Jeff Tourborg getting much work these days after he killed off so many good young pitchers.

And if Lirano is out for a full year (365 days) and doens't return till next All Star break like some seem to think, don't expect Minny's manager (Grhardeniher.....I can't spell his name) to stay around long. Making the playoffs or not.

Ray Finkle said:
:sidelol:

Classic clueless/Red Sox hate post. It just proves how little (no pun intended) you know about Little and how bad of an in game manager Grady was. Forget about the Game 7 thing for a minute. He was just a brutual manager. He was a great clubhouse manager but when the game was on the line he would make the dumbest decisions known to man. Like take David Ortiz and Manny out of games for pinch runners in the 7th innings of games in close situations. Always mis-managing the pen or batting. He was terrible.

The fact is half of the Red Sox FO didn't want to hire the guy but did only because he was known as a good clubhouse man the and clubhouse before he arrived was the worst in baseball should tell you something.

Go read "Feeding the Monster" so you can be better informed.

Now about Game 7: Who's fault was it for Game 7 then? He had control of the team, and had every member of the pen healthy and ready yet let Pedro stay in a game he clearly had no business being in. He watched the guy die for 2 years at the 100 pitch mark yet leaves him in around that in the biggest game of his career? Sorry but he's a bad manager. Game 7 was just the icing on the cake for his exit.

He can't be too bad if he ends up winning the West and manager of the year in LA! With that lineup and that pitching staff.

MikeO said:
He can't be too bad if he ends up winning the West and manager of the year in LA! With that lineup and that pitching staff.

Because the West is so good? Come on. The Dodgers actually have a pretty good line up (Nomar, Furcal, Kent, Drew, Ethier, Lugo, Lofton) and their rotation is as good if not better than any pitching in the West, ditto for their pen.

Just ignore the other stuff I posted though, it's no big deal. :shakeno:

Would you trust him with your team in a big game?

Alex44 said:
Managers need to get the mental part of the game down for the players (especially young ones) Pinch hit in the right spot, go to the bullpen in the right spot, keep the players head up

IMO managers do a lot more than people seem to give them credit for, If a manager gets his players to play 110% he is a great manager IMO and he will win more games

If fans look at the moves most managers make and actually know things about baseball it's really common sense.

MikeO said:

Exactly, that's why alot of managers are recycled. Art Howe was doing alright in Oakland than can't manage his way out of box with the Mets. If we're really going to give credit to guys it should be the pitching coach and the hitting instructor.

MikeO said:
I don't hate the Marlins. My god you guys are so friggin sensative!! But when a team draws NO fans (even when they win) and the team just has fire sales every other year, I will call them a JOKE. Because they are just that. It has nothing with hating a team or franchsie. It's just calling it like I see it!!

And I can't consider Girardi for anything until that team is over .500. And the fact he plays in the WORST division in baseball hurts too. That division being so bad will prevent Willy Randolph from getting the award. It will prevent Girardi from even being considered.

I think you're the sensitive one. I don't care that you're not a Marlins fan, but any time the issue is brought up, you lash out.

And you're missing the point of the team's success. It doesn't matter how bad the division or league is. This is a team that has played 20 rookies, most of them in the daily lineup, the rotation, or key bullpen roles. They have a miniscule payroll. They have no fan support. Dump on Loria all you want, dump on the attendance all you want, because all of that is warranted. But in talking about the GM, the scouting staff, the coaches, and the players, they are doing something absolutely remarkable.

Think about it. Beinfest, Hill, and the rest of them were dealing this winter from the exact opposite of a position of power. Everyone knew every player except for maybe Willis and Cabrera was available and that they only needed to trade minor leaguers, yet they amassed a starting 1B, SS, and two of our current SP. The scouts were good enough to recognize a guy like Dan Uggla as MLB talent. They had the foresight to see that with proper coaching from proper coaches, a guy like Miguel Olivo or Joe Borowski could be successful. They realized inexpensive, battle-tested veterans like Matt Herges and Wes Helms could be very helpful. And most of all, they absolutely committed themselves to building up from the bottom again. They didn't pull a Baltimore rebuilding job. You absolutely have to give credit to the players who had every right to accept the fact that they were going to finish in last place, miles away from being relevant, historically bad, and are now just three games out of the Wild Card lead heading into September, regardless of how good or bad the competition is.

It's worthless to play the "if" game, because last year, the sucky, underachieving Marlins win the division at 83-79 if they're in the NL West. So do the Mets. So do the Phillies. The Indians, Athletics, and Twins all make the playoffs if they're in the West last season, but no one discredited the Padres for it. It's not their fault they took advantage of their situation. And the very next year, into September, all 5 teams are still around, with 4 of them really legitimate contenders.

Fact is, Kansas City chose to sign Reggie Sanders, Doug Mientkiewicz, Mark Grudzielanek, and Scott Elarton while trading for Mark Redman. The Marlins found real talent that actually had a future, and while they were the most anonymous team in a long while, they have 63 wins. Vegas had them at 65. The Royals have already been mathematically eliminated from the playoffs.

dusty baker! jk

giardi all the way!

for AL i would say torre (but maybe that is because i am biased)

Back
Top Bottom