Alex Smith vs Ryan Tannehill | Page 14 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Alex Smith vs Ryan Tannehill

When did a QB rating of 93.5 become average? THat's better that Roethlisberger this year. When did 4208 yards passing become average? That would be good enough for 6th this year.

QB rating of 93.5 became average when having a 93.5 qb rating placed you 12th in the league which is what he was in 2016. 4208 I would say is slightly above average as the league average that year was 3864 so the difference between Tannehill's 4208 and 3864 is 344 yards. So he threw 344 more yards than the league average thus slightly above average.

Last edited:
QB rating of 93.5 became average when having a 93.5 qb rating placed you 12th in the league which is what he was in 2016. 4208 I would say is slightly above average as the league average that year was 3864 so the difference between Tannehill's 4208 and 3864 is 344 yards. So he threw 344 more yards than the league average thus slightly above average.

Stats are for loser, case in point Tannehill only had 344 yds more than the average in a season where he goes on IR in week 13 or some s*** so he must not be average, lol. Imagine how good a team like Jacksonville would be if they had a talent like Tannehill, must be nice to have an elite D. I'm sure Russell Wilson is missing that luxury right about now. Just goes to show how much of a team game this sport is, and you can always tell when someone doesn't understand this game when they obsess over the QB.

You will never get a season like that out of Tannehill. He is just an average QB. It's weird that this fanbase thinks Tannehill even holds a candle to Alex Smith (who is an above average QB that managed to be drafted number 1 overall and has gotten better over the course of his career. If he can't keep a job in KC, Tannehill will be gone after next season. Not hating, just stating the obvious.

Not hating.....lol

Neither were the last 3 dozen hate posts over the past 5 seasons

Stats are for loser, case in point Tannehill only had 344 yds more than the average in a season where he goes on IR in week 13 or some s*** so he must not be average, lol. Imagine how good a team like Jacksonville would be if they had a talent like Tannehill, must be nice to have an elite D. I'm sure Russell Wilson is missing that luxury right about now. Just goes to show how much of a team game this sport is, and you can always tell when someone doesn't understand this game when they obsess over the QB.

No sir the year he had 344 more yards than the league average was 2015 a year which he played 16 games, you misunderstood. I am a bit confused by your comment though...you say Jacksonville would be a better team with Tannehill, but than say how much of a team game it is and than suggest people don't understand the game by obsessing over the QB.

So which is it? Is a QB a difference maker thus Jacksonville would benefit from Tannehill or is a QB irrelevant because its a team sport?

If stats are for losers than what do you use for evaluation?

There has not ever been a QB with the route to the NFL that Ryan Tannehill has had. He learned how to play QB on the job in the NFL. Those are facts. You can call them excuses or whatever you'd like, but it's nearly impossible to come up with a direct comparison to Tannehill for that very reason.

You realize Tannehill was a QB in HS was recruited to play QB in college only played WR because he wanted to get on the field, never attended WR meetings, attended all QB meeting in college. Here are some QB's that had less pass attempts in College than Tannehill who had 774.

Cam Newton 292 Att
Aaron Rodgers 665 Att
Alex Smith 587 Att
Jim Kelly 676 Att
Joe Montana 515 Att
Carson Wentz 612 Att
Brock Osweiler 680 Art
Troy Aikman 694 Att
Vinny Testaverde 674 passes Att
Jameis Winston 851 Att (close enough)

I would take Andy Reid as the Fins HC in a second

You realize Tannehill was a QB in HS was recruited to play QB in college only played WR because he wanted to get on the field, never attended WR meetings, attended all QB meeting in college. Here are some QB's that had less pass attempts in College than Tannehill who had 774.

Cam Newton 292 Att
Aaron Rodgers 665 Att
Alex Smith 587 Att
Jim Kelly 676 Att
Joe Montana 515 Att
Carson Wentz 612 Att
Brock Osweiler 680 Art
Troy Aikman 694 Att

sigh.. the first 2 I checked I determined that your information is flawed- either by comission or omission.. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt for now

Cam Newton.. Blinn CC could not find number of attempts/completions BUT considering:
By fall, Newton was ready to play. He threw for 2,833 yards, rushed for 655, and accounted for 39 total touchdowns. The Buccaneers went 11-1, and won the NJCAA national championship

Aaron Rodgers
Butte JCC
165-265 attempts, to lead Butte to a 10-1 record, NorCal Conf championship and No.2 ranking
you could probably add another 200-300 attempts and 11 or 12 more games starting experience including championship ones for both.

I decided to stop there, cuz that's enough to make the point I think should be obvious by now.

Last edited:
No sir the year he had 344 more yards than the league average was 2015 a year which he played 16 games, you misunderstood. I am a bit confused by your comment though...you say Jacksonville would be a better team with Tannehill, but than say how much of a team game it is and than suggest people don't understand the game by obsessing over the QB.

So which is it? Is a QB a difference maker thus Jacksonville would benefit from Tannehill or is a QB irrelevant because its a team sport?

The only reason Jacksonville is even still in the playoffs is because of their defense. Obviously QB's are important, but Jacksonville like certain teams do every single year prove you can go far without a top tier QB, hell the Broncos won it all a few years back because of their D so it isn't that rare at all. Tannehill is a much better QB than Bortles, but the 2017 Jags are a much better team than the 2017 Dolphins. If Miami can build a team similar to these Jags talent wise, Tannehill would be more than enough to win a SB, and that's all that matters. Miami has a lot of problems with its roster right now specifically at DE, LB, pass coverage in general, power back, back up QB, TE, offensive line, WR if we can't keep Juice to name a few. We need to get those fixed before we even think about getting a new starting QB, That's what Coughlin did in Jacksonville and they actually really do need a new QB, but they have their priorities straight and aren't obsessing over the position, which is why they are in the position they are today. If having a "superstar" QB is all that mattered in regards to winning the SB (The ONLY thing I care about), then why is Russel Wilson sitting at home today? He played so well this year he was considered an MVP candidate after the Eagles game, but without that elite defense, Seattle is just another team despite their "superstar" QB. Defense and an effective run game, the 2 things Seattle excelled in when they did win the SB, are far more important than what is perceived to be a "star" QB. Football men like Coughlin and Parcells know that, which is why they build from the ground up (aka trenches), which is what we should be doing as well...

QB rating of 93.5 became average when having a 93.5 qb rating placed you 12th in the league which is what he was in 2016.

(A) That is not what average means (I think you are looking for median)
(B) Even if it did, 12th in the league of 32 teams would be well above the median since there are a minimum of 32 QBs. Add the QBs with partial seasons but enough throws to qualify and the number is higher than 32 making the median higher than 16.

4208 I would say is slightly above average as the league average that year was 3864 so the difference between Tannehill's 4208 and 3864 is 344 yards. So he threw 344 more yards than the league average thus slightly above average.

Slightly?

Also, why use rank with QB rating but computed average with yards? He was ranked 9th in yards in 2015.

seattles sitting at home because the defense didn't play up to it's all world standards down the stretch for the first time in I guess it's 6 years...due to attrition and age

Little correction to you logic flaw. Just because people believe that QBs are not the sole reason for wins and losses, doesn't mean they believe they believe QBs are irrelevant.

You present 2 possible positions and asked for a choice between the two. In reality the choices should be:

1. Only the QB is relevant
2. Only the players other than the QB is relevant
3. It is a team game and both matter. (and which is the bigger factor on any one team varies based on the situation)

seattles sitting at home because the defense didn't play up to it's all world standards down the stretch for the first time in I guess it's 6 years...due to attrition and age

Hell the defense was a MASH unit, they had no running game (he lead the team in rushing with 586 yards . . . the next closest player had 240 yards) and the pass protection continues to be bottom level. If Russell Wilson gets sacked 40 times next year he will have the all time record for consecutive seasons of being sacked 40 times in a season (currently at 5 in a row).

The dude still put up 34 touchdowns to only 11 INTs and had 4000 yards passing, 61.3% completion and a 95.4 QB rating. He was remarkable this year.

But he also serves as the poster child for letting everybody know that you just cannot do it by yourself in this league and people wanting to get rid of Ryan Tannehill because "he can't do it by himself" just are not understanding that. Get this man a competent offensive line for 16 games, one that can produce an effective enough running game on a consistent basis and a defense that can be at least average . . . and see where the cards fall.

Until it happens we will likely see Ryan continue to make gains but the team success may not match up to it . . . Ryan or pretty much any other QB you try to bring in here.

Cam Newton 292 Att
Aaron Rodgers 665 Att
Alex Smith 587 Att
Jim Kelly 676 Att
Joe Montana 515 Att
Carson Wentz 612 Att
Brock Osweiler 680 Art
Troy Aikman 694 Att

Link to the part where he didn't attend WR meetings? Because from my recollection, it wasn't that he attended one over the other. As I recall, he attended BOTH.

Also, you might want to check your stats, because I'm pretty damned sure you're missing some JUCO stats. And attempts isn't really the point. Of all of those players...how many, exactly, switched from Wide Receiver (where he led the team one year) to Quarterback midway through their Junior season, then were drafted into the NFL 18 months later as a top 10 QB?

Link to the part where he didn't attend WR meetings? Because from my recollection, it wasn't that he attended one over the other. As I recall, he attended BOTH.

Also, you might want to check your stats, because I'm pretty damned sure you're missing some JUCO stats. And attempts isn't really the point. Of all of those players...how many, exactly, switched from Wide Receiver (where he led the team one year) to Quarterback midway through their Junior season, then were drafted into the NFL 18 months later as a top 10 QB?

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story...t-quarterback-wide-receiver-experience-041712

“I loved playing receiver, but I never really viewed myself as a receiver," Tannehil said. "I was always a quarterback playing receiver. I didn’t attend a single wide receivers’ meeting while in college, either. That was important. Coach Sherman always had me in the quarterback meetings, even when I was the third-string quarterback and a starting wide receiver.”

Back
Top Bottom