ALIJAH VERA-TUCKER At 18 | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

ALIJAH VERA-TUCKER At 18

I'm seeing that many prospects at oline are being ranked by their arm size now. For example, some draft experts now think slater can be a good center because he can play center. Now Sewell is now being looked at as a guard. The only problem I had with Sewell were how he plants his feet at times when defending against pass rushers. He run blocks like a bull for sure he has unique toughness. He was the best lineman in the country at age 19, and now he is 20 about to be 21. He looks like he packed more muscle from his last season everywhere.
Time will tell how good he is but how many future 1st or even 2nd round pick pass rushers did he played against at Oregon? People always talk about what was the competion for some players but nobody seems to say anything about Sewell's competition.

I have never understood the reluctance to draft a guard in the first round. Having solid starters at every position on the OL is mandatory If you expect to have an OL that can both run and pass block. If the Dolphins believe Vera-Tucker is better than the players they now have playing guard, I would have no problem with them selecting him with the 18th pick.

I prefer a DE, LB, or RB with the 18th pick but if they decide to draft another offensive lineman with that pick, I would understand it based on how the OL regressed over the latter part of the 2020 season.

I'm seeing that many prospects at oline are being ranked by their arm size now. For example, some draft experts now think slater can be a good center because he can play center. Now Sewell is now being looked at as a guard..

Not just arms. It's his frame too, 330+. And his vertical is under 30 which is not good for first round tackle. And he is close to 8.00 three cone, which is not good for first round tackle. So it is more than just arms being borderline.
Sewell can play tackle, but his numbers are not first round, and his overall athleticism is that of a top 50 guard. But you can take him in the first round and put him at tackle, if you want to, no problem. We drafted Hunt and put him at tackle too.

I will have him as Day 2 tackle together with Trey Smith and Larry Borom, as my only day 2 tackles.

I have never understood the reluctance to draft a guard in the first round. Having solid starters at every position on the OL is mandatory If you expect to have an OL that can both run and pass block. If the Dolphins believe Vera-Tucker is better than the players they now have playing guard, I would have no problem with them selecting him with the 18th pick.

I prefer a DE, LB, or RB with the 18th pick but if they decide to draft another offensive lineman with that pick, I would understand it based on how the OL regressed over the latter part of the 2020 season.
it's just diminishing returns at some point. you need a qb and guys that can make off script plays. broken tackles, breakway runs, awkward catches, etc. this is more important in today's nfl. need an average oline and playmakers. points is the ultimate objective. o lineman are important to the point where they can't restrict the offense from scoring but after a certain point whatever marginal gains in offensive line aren't really going to help the bottom line of scoring more

it's just diminishing returns at some point. you need a qb and guys that can make off script plays. broken tackles, breakway runs, awkward catches, etc. this is more important in today's nfl. need an average oline and playmakers. points is the ultimate objective. o lineman are important to the point where they can't restrict the offense from scoring but after a certain point whatever marginal gains in offensive line aren't really going to help the bottom line of scoring more
An average offensive line might get you to an average record but it isn’t going to win you any Super Bowls. I totally agree that having playmakers on the offense and defense is extremely important. Yet the Chiefs have the best QB in the league as well as the some of the top playmakers in the entire league and yet they were destroyed by Tampa in the Super Bowl because their offensive line was terrible in the game.

That is why the Chiefs signed Joe Thuney to the largest contract ever for a guard in NFL history. They also signed another guard and center in free agency.

Obviously the Dolphins need to upgrade the WR position and the RB position but they have 4 selection in the top 50 to add skill position players. I just hope one of those picks is an offensive lineman and I don’t care if that offensive lineman is a tackle, guard, or center. If that offensive lineman is taken with the 18th pick, I’m good with that.

If we draft a G when we have needs at WR, RB, DE, C, possibly rotational DL, S and RT? Yeah I hope not I would rather have Collins, Paye, WR if we go Pitts, Harris or Etienne before this guy.

Hell we can get a stud C at 50. A guy like Meyers, Dickerson or Humphrey might be there. At the very least 36 for Humphrey. But not 18.

Time will tell how good he is but how many future 1st or even 2nd round pick pass rushers did he played against at Oregon? People always talk about what was the competion for some players but nobody seems to say anything about Sewell's competition.
Here is the messed up part. We dont often see college elite pass rushers go against elite tackles. Maybe the biggest reason we see busts.

I guess if I really look at it I am a proponent of BPA. He appears to be the best G available with the ability to swing to T. The good teams draft the best players period. We may not fill all of our holes this draft but as long as we bring in talent we will be better, period. I still say there are a couple of proven edge guys in FA we could reel in for the right price. Like others have said I don't want to spend a premium pick on a roll of the dice (Phillips, Rousseau) or a safe (Paye) option.

But WR or Pitts, C and RB need to be addressed early within top 4 picks.

There are many trends with bust pass rushers. The first trend is:

"This player hasn't reached his ceiling."
"Not NFL ready but a freak athlete"
"Disappeared once or twice against good defensive college teams"
"Injuries"

And just about most people in this draft at edge fit this description specially with the miami guys.

Back
Top Bottom