All things bills | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

All things bills

If Losman can't win the starting job this year I think you would have to call him a bust and move on. Most publications have the Bills slotted to pick #1 overall next year and really what can ya lose if Losman gets a final chance to prove he can be your QB, not like you could fail to live up to expections and finish below last place.

I think with Holcomb you are in the same boat as we were last year with Gus; a servicable QB with no upside. Maybe win a few extra games and you don't get to pick a new franchise QB. Leave ya always wondering if Losman could have got the job done in 2006.

Really I don't see what ya can lose by giving Losman the starting job. If he does well and you all finish near 8-8 or something and shows improvement then you have a QB and something to build on. If he plays horribly again then you know he is a bust and you can drop him and move on to probably Brady Quin.

I have to agree with article and you WC. I was surprised at how little faith Mikey showed in JP. I think Dick will do what MM never did...set the kid up to succeed. Hell, I hope you screw around and exaserbate the problem some more this year, but I don't think you will. There is a truth spoken in the article..you know what the best Holcolmb can give you, what JP can become has yet to be discovered.

Wagon Circler said:
Pretty good article was written a couple days ago, I don't know if you saw it but here it is. http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9588982

This guy shares my exact viewpoint.

Overall, I agree that you have to give Losman his shot. I still find his comments troubling. On several occasions last season he proclaimed that certain problems he was having were solved because he and the coaches had talked about what he was doing wrong. He didn't seem to grasp that it was going to be harder than just 'deciding' to play better. Well, from the article above, we get this little gem from Losman:

"I think I'm able to handle those situations a lot better now because I'm a lot calmer than I was. If something went bad last year I was furious. But now I'm getting coached hard; getting yelled at in front of everyone. You just take a deep breath, move on to the next play and make sure it doesn't happen again."

HELLO, JP!!!!! How do you know you are calmer? You haven't been back in any situations yet. I've heard reports from Bills camp that claim JP looks fine until he makes a mistake. Then he still has problems moving on.

It seems like he is as immature as I felt he was last season.

Losman is an unknown, with him you could go 4-12, 12-4 or anything in between. You know what Holcomb brings to the table, he might win 8 games, but would likely fumble 2 of those away in the 4th quarter.

He was originally brought in as a backup to Losman and accepted that role. To be in competition for the starter role gives him maybe his last kick at the can in that regard. He's playing hard and doing his best, but he's being surpassed. He's a constant, where Losman's upside is just begining to be tapped.

Will JPL be anything more than what he was last year? ....He already is.

Will he make it in the NFL on any level as a QB? ......Even Wyche who worked closely with him in the last regime and may know him better than anyone, says he thinks he has all the tools, but would'nt guarantee that he would 100%.

I'm sure Levy and Jauron made enough enquiries and saw enough film to think he was worth a shot. Nall was brought in not only for extra heat in that race, but for a good look to see what potential lay there as well.

If it does'nt work out, look for the Bills to do what you did here in the free agent market next year.

I've heard McGahee looks slimmer and faster and has been actually running pass routes which should be something Bills fans like to hear. As for the QB situation as a Phins fan this maybe hypocritical considering my stance on Feeley but using a 1st rd pick on Losman should give him an opportunity. I don't think this is being a Phins homer when I say the Bills aren't expected to do much and if you go 8-8 with Holcomb and need a QB after the season is that really better long-term wise than going 6-10 with Losman and knowing he's not the answer? I'd start Losman and see what he can do and tell him it's his job for the season.

ZolarZ_GoPhins said:
I think with Holcomb you are in the same boat as we were last year with Gus; a servicable QB with no upside. Maybe win a few extra games and you don't get to pick a new franchise QB. Leave ya always wondering if Losman could have got the job done in 2006.
True Holcomb is a known factor, why start him this year when expectations are in the toilet? Giving JP a shot at the season will let the FO know whether they need to use that #1 pick on another QB or not next year!

opfinistic said:
True Holcomb is a known factor, why start him this year when expectations are in the toilet? Giving JP a shot at the season will let the FO know whether they need to use that #1 pick on another QB or not next year!
Every day above ground is a good day for Ralph Wilson and Levy. They don't have time to develop someone who may or may not be a starter 3 years down the road.

Look for them to go after the best fitting free agent on the market if JP can't do the job.

PS... who had the 2nd most receptions over 40 yrds in the NFL last year? :confused:
Answer. Lee Evens.....now who threw him most of those balls? :D

While the media talks about the QB competition, I think the critical unit on the Bills is the oline. If the oline can improve to decent, then either Holcomb or Losman can succeed. If the oline is **** like last year, then no QB is gonna do decent.

opfinistic said:

just because some "experts" say the expectations are low dont mean the bills think that way too

I think Losman will win the job this preseason and play decently during the regular season...but we shall see.

Looking at the stats it's easy to say Losman had a much better day. I watched most of the Bills/Panthers game and Losman is a better player than Holcomb.

The thing about Losman is I haven't heard one 'Expert' say that he doesn't hav the tools to succede in the NFL. He has a strong arm and is very moble.

Question is- Does he have the Head to play in the NFL, or is it all the coaching staff's fault.

How do you not give a guy with his talents a chance to show he can play for a whole year. I personally think he has some serious issues mentally with his ablity to play the game. Let him show what he has on the field, to deny him that at this point with Holcomb as yer only savior is rediculous. Yet the Bills did it last year pretty much so I have no idea what they are gonna do, but I would start Losman this year the whole year and see what he can do. Worst case ya finish last draft a new QB and Holcomb can play next year till ya new QB is ready.

Maybe the better question is what can you do with Holcomb, anything less then 8-8 with him starting is a waste IMO. Start Losman and end this debate..... PLZ =P

Back
Top Bottom