all time nfl team | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

all time nfl team

DolphinDevil28 said:
Sorry, I dont' mean to insult, I really don't.

But, that is horrible. You left several of the game's all-time greats out of your team.

I went with more of the "great" players of the game, the guys who helped shape the game into what it is today. rather than the overpaid crybabies that play today. I felt i couldn't put Marino on the list because that would just be cheesey.

godfater21 said:
I went with more of the "great" players of the game, the guys who helped shape the game into what it is today. rather than the overpaid crybabies that play today. I felt i couldn't put Marino on the list because that would just be cheesey.

OK, cool.

But I evaluated my team based on how I think potential fits into today's football vs. yesterday's football.

Athletes vs. athletes. How good would Sammy Baugh be against Ray Lewis, you know??? ;)

6 pages and not one mention of the guy who held every major receiving record before Jerry Rice came along.

After scanning those lists, the one thing that amazes and frustrates me is the frequent preference of Mike Webster above Dwight Stephenson. Frankly, that is rank lunacy. I'm a Dolphin fan but anything but a homer. I would comfortably place Joe Montana ahead of Marino and I'm not sure any other Dolphin would threaten the alltime list. Maybe Warfield at WR. He was special.

But no chance in fleshly reality that Dwight Stephenson wasn't the best pivot of all time. He was incredibly quick, smart and strong with amazing balance and understanding of the position. Like Howie Long said after watching tapes of Stephenson vs. William Perry in '85, "I'm not learning anything from this other than seeing one guy throw another guy to the ground."

And please, Larry Csonka was a pure fullback. He never threatened to be anything else. He lined up at FB and took every snap as a FB. We ran I formation or split backs and Csonka was the hard nosed FB.

Most of the lists are very good. We have had several alltime lists just in the scant months I've posted here so I won't offer a full squad again. But Gale Sayers is pathetically missing among most of the lists at HB. He was the most gifted HB ever.

I guess I don't put as much premium on longevity as other posters, mentioning Stephenson and Sayers. I certainly don't penalize for an early career ending injury. In that regard, another guy who merits listing is Kenny Easley of the Seahawks at free safety. Until his liver injury Easley was a ballhawking superstar, tall and rangy and fast. Remember, in college Easley played at UCLA at the same time Ronnie Lott was at USC and Easley was consensus the better player. Easley was drafted ahead of Lott in '81. Those two would be my alltime safety combo and I'm damn confident no other pairing would be as good.

DolphinDevil28 said:
OK, cool.

But I evaluated my team based on how I think potential fits into today's football vs. yesterday's football.

Athletes vs. athletes. How good would Sammy Baugh be against Ray Lewis, you know??? ;)

Yeah i understand. but it is very complicated to try to draw comperisons like that because the rules are so different know. back then you could clothesline, spear, rip the guy down by his face mask. plus training programs are also very different. back then a 300 pound lineman was unheard of. now it seems if your not at least 300 pounds you are considered a joke. This is just one of those topics where everyone bases it off of something different and no two people would have the same list.

campeonaso said:
qb marino

rb j.brown

fb csonka

wr rice carter

te winslow

dl b. smith ,reggie white,strahan

lb l taylor, seau ,butkas ,singleton

s lott and raider player

cb deion and ?
on this list the dolphins are the team that have more players :csonka ,marino ,seau , and carter
what do you think about my list

Jack Tatum better known as " The Assasin" is the Raider db. He is the guy who paralized Daryl Stingley a Pats wr. He was one hell of a db.

I only read page one of this thread but I have a feeling this is going to turn into a "best quarterback ever" debate. It is one of those questions with no right answer.

1st Team Backups

Qb- Marino Montana
Rb- Sweetness(payton) Jim Brown/sanders
Fb- Tom Rathman Mike Allstot
Te- K. Winslow T. Gonzales
Wr- J. Rice,l. Allworth, John Jefferson,
Wr- Lynn Swann Mark Clayton,art Monk
T- A. Munoz, Dan Dierdorf Richmond Webb, Forest Gregg
G- John Hanna, L Allen Gene Upshaw, Russ Grimm
C- D. Stephenson Mike Webster

De- Deacon Jones, Ed "too Tall Jones" Reggie White, Bruce Smith
Dt- Joe Grenne, Merlin Olsen Randy White, Alan Paige
Lyle Alzado
Lb- L. Taylor, D. Butkus, J. Lambert Singletary,jack Ham
Hugh Green
Cb- D. Sanders, Mike Haynes Darrell Green, Mel Blount
S- Ronnie Lott, Jake Scott Steve Atwater, John Lynch

P- Ray Guy Reggie Roby
K- Jan Stenerud Gary Anderson

76AZFINFAN said:
1st Team Backups

Qb- Marino Montana
Rb- Sweetness(payton) Jim Brown/sanders
Fb- Tom Rathman Mike Allstot
Te- K. Winslow T. Gonzales
Wr- J. Rice,l. Allworth, John Jefferson,
Wr- Lynn Swann Mark Clayton,art Monk
T- A. Munoz, Dan Dierdorf Richmond Webb, Forest Gregg
G- John Hanna, L Allen Gene Upshaw, Russ Grimm
C- D. Stephenson Mike Webster

De- Deacon Jones, Ed "too Tall Jones" Reggie White, Bruce Smith
Dt- Joe Grenne, Merlin Olsen Randy White, Alan Paige
Lyle Alzado
Lb- L. Taylor, D. Butkus, J. Lambert Singletary,jack Ham
Hugh Green
Cb- D. Sanders, Mike Haynes Darrell Green, Mel Blount
S- Ronnie Lott, Jake Scott Steve Atwater, John Lynch

P- Ray Guy Reggie Roby
K- Jan Stenerud Gary Anderson

This looks pretty good to me actually. I think you could probably tinker with the WRs a bit, but still a good list.

76AZFINFAN said:
Jack Tatum better known as " The Assasin" is the Raider db. He is the guy who paralized Daryl Stingley a Pats wr. He was one hell of a db.

Sure he dont mean Lester hayes or Mike Haynes

Back
Top Bottom