LB: Lawrence Taylor, Dick Butkus, Jack Lambert, Jack Ham
CB: Rod Woodson, Mel Blount, Deion Sanders, Darrell Green
S: Ronnie Lott, Ken Houston

Special Teams:
K: Jan Stenerud
P: Ray Guy
PR: Billy Johnson
KR: Brian Mitchell

Edit: That is my list, it's not based on numbers, or any kind of statistical references, it's based on who i think had the most impact at any position during the years that i have watched Football. It may be that i have the all time leading Passer, Dan Marino as my number one QB, but even as a Phin fan i look at it as who got the job done, who won games, who had the ability, who was able to lead, comeback ect.

And WCU, your totally right about Sanders, without him they aren't even 5-11 i mean what were they the year after he retired? 2-14! I mean he had so much impact on that team, and was such a great player, thats why he's my number one running back.

R Roby for Guy, M Carter for M olsen, M Singletary for Ham, J Montana for W Moon,M clayton as an extra WR. I would also have to find room for B Matthews somewhere on the O line.. can anyone remember the two safeties that played for the Rams in the 80's, they were pretty good

Soory--forgot to say that this is a pretty awesome team

PHIDolphins13 said:
And WCU, your totally right about Sanders, without him they aren't even 5-11 i mean what were they the year after he retired? 2-14! I mean he had so much impact on that team, and was such a great player, thats why he's my number one running back.

Sanders was BY FAR the most talented "runner" I've ever seen. But his all-or-nothing running style wasn't conduscive towards an effective running game. Strategically, passing games are designed to get the big chunks of yardage while the running game is meant to keep the chains moving and wear down the defense.

Because of his amazing talent, Sanders' running style actually became more like a "typical" passing game. While it was great at creating Sportscenter highlights, it wasn't a good fit for "winning football".

Also, the year after Sanders retired the Lions actually improved to 9-7 (from 5-11).

Pyper, you make some interesting points, and wow, i'm shocked that Detroit got better after Barry Sanders, i dont really remember that year. I remember they were 2-14 one season, i thought that was the season after Barry retired, thank you for telling me that.

Barry Sanders was was one of those ultra special once in a lifetime type players. The kind of guy that it didn't matter the talent around him. All you had to do was give him the ball and we would will his team to win. There are VERY few players who fit that bill, Marino being among them. These guys don't need a "system" or "scheme", they just beat the other team. So if you are compling a list where the criteria is simply "Best Carbon Based Lifeform To Play This Position" you have to include Barry.

WCUgodsmacked13 said:
yea sorry, should be brady right? no Bledsoe or maybe todd eason?? no qb the pats have ever had is good enough to be marinos towel boy. Best QB ever, period.

The name you were searching for was TONY Eason.

As for Brady being better than Marino......ABSOLUTELY!!!! It's NO contest.

What good is a quarterback who can't come through in the BIG spots??? Performance under pressure in the clutch is the only way to judge QB's.

With that being said.....

QB: Joe Montana, Tom Brady, John Elway
RB: J.Brown, W.Payton, L.Tomlinson
FB: ??? (The position has changed so much. It depends on what you're looking for).
WR: J.Rice, R.Moss, I.Bruce, Sterling Sharpe
TE: T.Gonzalez, S.Sharpe, B.Coates
LT: B.Armstrong
LG: John Hannah (Gene Upshaw as back up)
C: Mike Webster (Dwight stephenson)
RG: Larry Allen
RT: Anthony Munoz

DE: Reggie White, Deacon Jones, Bruce Smith
DT: Joe Greene, Richard Seymour, Warren Sapp
NT: Ted Washington (There's never been anyone like him. He's not just big, he's athletic)
OLB: Jr.Seau, L.Taylor, A.Tippett
MLB: M.Singletary, D.Butkus, R.Lewis
CB: Rod Woodson, Mike Haynes, Ty Law
FS: Carnell Lake, K.Houston
SS: Ronnie Lott, R.Harrison

Pyper, Dan Marino and John Elway both had more comeback wins than Brady and Montana, and even so i'd never put Tom Brady on an all-time list like this. Not to mention the players that both Brady and Montana had around them, i'm fine with Montana on anyone elses list, but Brady? no way!

As for:
Ted Washington? <---Nah, so many better guys
Rodney Harrison <--he's up at the top but i think he's more intimidating than a great coverer. Lott was both
John Hannah <---Eh, a lot of Patriots getting on this list...
Ben Coatses? Carnell Lake? I dont even understand the reasoning of that...

Qb - Marino

Rb - B. Sanders

Fb - L. Csonka

Wr - J. Rice, P. Warfield

Te - T. Gonzolez

Lt - T. Boselli (pre Injury)

Lg - Gene Upshaw

C - Dwight Stephenson

Rg - Larry Allen

Rt - Anthony Munoz

Le - Deacon Jones

Dt - Warren Sapp

Dt - Joe Greene

Re - Reggie White

Olb - Lawrence Taylor

Mlb - Dick Butkus

Olb - Junior Seau

Cb - D, Sanders

Cb - Rod Woodson

Fs - Ken Houston

Ss - Ronnie Lott

PHIDolphins13 said:
Pyper, Dan Marino and John Elway both had more comeback wins than Brady and Montana, and even so i'd never put Tom Brady on an all-time list like this. Not to mention the players that both Brady and Montana had around them, i'm fine with Montana on anyone elses list, but Brady? no way!

As for:
Rodney Harrison <--he's up at the top but i think he's more intimidating than a great coverer. Lott was both

It's always difficult putting current players on All Time lists but I look at it this way.

Brady hasn't just won 3 SB's in four years. He's won 3 SB's in HIS FIRST 4 years as a starting QB in this league. The guy is only 27 and in excellent position to rewrite the record books in terms of winning championships. When its all said and done Brady will not only go down as #1, he'll be #1 with an exclamation point.

I don't really look at Ted Washington as a Patriot. We only had him for one year. As far as NT's go which is what Washington has been his whole career (3-4 defense) there is NO one better. He's old now but I'm talking about in his prime. He's a 360 plus pounder with athletic ability. He's a total freak of nature. If you're picking guys based on their stats on a box score, he's not your guy. But if you're picking guys based on what they actually do on the football field, you can't ignore Ted Washington.

I've got Lott over Harrison but couldn't think of anyone better to back Lott up.

How can you question John Hannah??? I figured you'd question Law or Tippett or Armstrong.....but not Hannah. Hannah is widely regarded as the best OG in the history of the game. Its actually not even close.

As for Law over Sanders. I don't like finesse players. This is football. I want players who enjoy contact. Players who know how to tackle. And as far as covering ability. He not only competed against all the WR's picked for this team, HE SHUT THEM DOWN!! That's good enough for me.

PHIDolphins13 said:

As for:
Ben Coatses? Carnell Lake? I dont even understand the reasoning of that...

That is biased towards the Pasties--Armstrong was certainly no better than Norm Evans, Winslow and T Christiansen were both better than Coates. Hannah I will except. as for Brady he is still young and playing in a strong team. Dan often played in average teams but still excelled. I also doubt that Brady has the heart that Dan had when he was playing. We will only know that when the Pats are not doing so well

Ok. For the record: Tom Brady, Joe Montana, are SYSTEM qbs. Marino was in a league of his own. Even Bill Walsh himself said as much. But hey, You Pats fans must know something the legendary Walsh doesn't.

Point being, Brady is a smart qb that plays well in the system that he's in. The differance between him and Marino is this: You put Brady on any other team in the league (say, the Bears or Cards) and he will look like the 6th round pick that he is. Marino could beat NFL defenses with the Rhein Fire.

Redvs.Blue Phin said:
Ok. For the record: Tom Brady, Joe Montana, are SYSTEM qbs. Marino was in a league of his own. Even Bill Walsh himself said as much. But hey, You Pats fans must know something the legendary Walsh doesn't.

Point being, Brady is a smart qb that plays well in the system that he's in. The differance between him and Marino is this: You put Brady on any other team in the league (say, the Bears or Cards) and he will look like the 6th round pick that he is. Marino could beat NFL defenses with the Rhein Fire.

Nice one shag :wink:

Redvs.Blue Phin said:

LOL!!! Thanks for the laughs.

Like when Brady took over a team that had gone 5-13 in its last 18 and 6-19 in its last 25 and led them to a 57-14 record in four seasons, including three Super Bowl Championships.

I find it interesting that Marino played for two coaches who will both end up in the Hall of Fame, who combined to win 4 Super Bowl's WITHOUT him and yet somehow didnt' win any with him.

Marino was a stat guy......Nothing else.

PYPER said:
The name you were searching for was TONY Eason.

As for Brady being better than Marino......ABSOLUTELY!!!! It's NO contest.

What good is a quarterback who can't come through in the BIG spots??? Performance under pressure in the clutch is the only way to judge QB's.

With that being said.....

QB: Joe Montana, Tom Brady, John Elway
RB: J.Brown, W.Payton, L.Tomlinson
FB: ??? (The position has changed so much. It depends on what you're looking for).
WR: J.Rice, R.Moss, I.Bruce, Sterling Sharpe
TE: T.Gonzalez, S.Sharpe, B.Coates
LT: B.Armstrong
LG: John Hannah (Gene Upshaw as back up)
C: Mike Webster (Dwight stephenson)
RG: Larry Allen
RT: Anthony Munoz

DE: Reggie White, Deacon Jones, Bruce Smith
DT: Joe Greene, Richard Seymour, Warren Sapp
NT: Ted Washington (There's never been anyone like him. He's not just big, he's athletic)
OLB: Jr.Seau, L.Taylor, A.Tippett
MLB: M.Singletary, D.Butkus, R.Lewis
CB: Rod Woodson, Mike Haynes, Ty Law
FS: Carnell Lake, K.Houston
SS: Ronnie Lott, R.Harrison

You accuse US of being bias?

I'm gonna go in order of your LAUGHABLE homerism.

Tom Brady: He's the best player in the game right now. That being said, I'd take Marino, Fouts, Young, Unitas and Aikman over Brady in a heartbeat.

"As for Brady being better than Marino......ABSOLUTELY!!!! It's NO contest." is the most rediculous thing I have read since your last post. Marino is 2nd All time in victories and 4th quarter comebacks. To say he was not clutch is simply absurd.

As for the "he choked in big game/never won the Super Bowl" arguement that is crap as well. Winning championships is a TEAM ACCOMPOLISHMENT. Ask Trent Dilfer or Mark Rypien. Dan was'nt out there doing his matador impersonation when teams where running it down our throats...that was the defense and the last time I checked Dan did'nt play defense.

Throw Tom Brady on a team with no running game and no defense and I bet Golden Boy's winning ways come to an abrupt end.

Ben Coates: LOL!!!!!!!!!! He is'nt even a top 10 all-timer. Dave Casper, Mike Ditka, Ozzie Newsom, Kellen Winslow. They all rank higher.

Bruce Armstrong: He was'nt even the best in the league when he played yet he's the best left tackle ever? Pace, Ogden and Walter Jones are all better then him. That puts him 4th without even looking at the Hall of Famers. Putting Armstrong as the best left tackle ever is the ULTIMATE in homerism and proved that you have ZERO objectivity.

John Hannah: I'll give you that one.

Richard Seymour: Almost as laughable as Armstrong. Dan Hampton, Bob Lilly, Merlin Olsen, Alan Page, Randy White...they are All timers. Seymour is'nt even the best in the league right NOW, let alone an all timer.

Andre Tippet: He was a good player. Again, he was'nt even the best when he played. Ham, Hendricks, Lanier...

Ty Law: AGAIN...not the best playing right now yet he is an all timer?

Rodney Harrison: :roflmao:

The moral of this post is don't be a hypocrite. Don't accuse us Dolphin fans of being homers when you post perhaps the most homerish reply in the history of message boards.

PYPER said:
LOL!!! Thanks for the laughs.

Like when Brady took over a team that had gone 5-13 in its last 18 and 6-19 in its last 25 and led them to a 57-14 record in four seasons, including three Super Bowl Championships.

I find it interesting that Marino played for two coaches who will both end up in the Hall of Fame, who combined to win 4 Super Bowl's WITHOUT him and yet somehow didnt' win any with him.

Marino was a stat guy......Nothing else.

You have already shown your stripes Chowd. You are the most non-objective Patriot fan ever to post on this board. Congrats...that is quite the accompolishment.

I guess the fact that golden boy has a GREAT supporting cast has nothing to do with him winning?

unifiedtheory said:
Tom Brady: He's the best player in the game right now. That being said, I'd take Marino, Fouts, Young, Unitas and Aikman over Brady in a heartbeat.

Aikman??? That's even worse than Marino. I think Aikman threw 20 TD's ONCE in his entire career. Aikman is without a doubt the most OVERRATED QB OF ALL TIME. Even Marino looks great standing next to him.

unifiedtheory said:
"As for Brady being better than Marino......ABSOLUTELY!!!! It's NO contest." is the most rediculous thing I have read since your last post. Marino is 2nd All time in victories and 4th quarter comebacks. To say he was not clutch is simply absurd.

As for the "he choked in big game/never won the Super Bowl" arguement that is crap as well. Winning championships is a TEAM ACCOMPOLISHMENT.

What do these numbers mean to you???

29 of 50 for 318 yds, 1 TD, 2 Int's..........67 Rating..........LOSS (SF 38-16)
20 of 48 for 248 yds, 2 TD, 2 Int's..........55 Rating..........LOSS (NE 31-14)
23 of 49 for 323 yds, 3 TD, 2 Int's..........72 Rating..........LOSS (Buf 44-34)
22 of 45 for 268 yds, 1 TD, 2 Int's..........57 Rating..........LOSS (Buf 29-10)
17 of 43 for 141 yds, 0 TD, 2 Int's..........29 Rating..........LOSS (NE 17-3)
26 of 37 for 243 yds, 0 TD, 2 Int's.........65 Rating..........LOSS (Den 38-3)
11 of 25 for 95 yds, 1 TD, 2 Int's..........35 Rating...............LOSS (Jac 62-7)

Those are his numbers in seven of the most important games of his career. Each one a loss in the playoffs. Perhaps if he'd have played better his team would have, at the very least, been more competitive. But with shoddy QB play like that, they hardly stood a chance.

unifiedtheory said:
Ask Trent Dilfer or Mark Rypien.

That argument has NEVER held any weight. Why do all the Marino appologists always cling to it??? Nobody is arguing on behalf of the Dilfer's of the world. Dilfer was a role player. Nothing more. We all know that.

My criticism of Dan isn't that he never won a Super Bowl or failed to win the big game. My criticism is that he played MISERABLY in all of those big games.

Look at Jake Delhomme. He didn't lead the Panthers to a win in the Super Bowl but he certainly rose to the occassion and played the game of his life. That's what big game QB's do. That's what Marino spent his career FAILING to do.

unifiedtheory said:
Dan was'nt out there doing his matador impersonation when teams where running it down our throats...that was the defense and the last time I checked Dan did'nt play defense.

According to the stats above, he didn't play much offense either.

unifiedtheory said:
Throw Tom Brady on a team with no running game and no defense and I bet Golden Boy's winning ways come to an abrupt end.

You mean like in 2001 when the Patriots defense was ranked 24th out of 31 teams. Or in 2003 when their leading rusher barely had 600 yards. Brady sure struggled in those years. What was his record again??? 31-5....

unifiedtheory said:
Ben Coates: LOL!!!!!!!!!! He is'nt even a top 10 all-timer. Dave Casper, Mike Ditka, Ozzie Newsom, Kellen Winslow. They all rank higher.

Big Ben was AMAZING in his prime and unlike some of the other names on that list, he could catch and block. The guy had the BIGGEST and softest hands I've ever seen. I stand by my selection of putting him 3rd. In truth, at his best he may have been the best ever. Still, the Hall of Fame is based on longevity as much as anything else, so he'll probably never get in. He only played for, I don't know, 8 years???

unifiedtheory said:
Bruce Armstrong: He was'nt even the best in the league when he played yet he's the best left tackle ever? Pace, Ogden and Walter Jones are all better then him. That puts him 4th without even looking at the Hall of Famers. Putting Armstrong as the best left tackle ever is the ULTIMATE in homerism and proved that you have ZERO objectivity.

This might have been a homer pick, although I think you're dismissing it too quickly. Frankly, I was having trouble remembering great LT's. I'm not a big Ogden fan. Freeney abused him and made him look silly last year. Pace and Jones are legitimate options though. The thing about Armstrong is that he played in an era against some of the games greatest pass rushers and he always did extremely well against them. Bruce Smith, Reggie White, LT, Derrick Thomas, the list goes on and on.

unifiedtheory said:
John Hannah: I'll give you that one.

Richard Seymour: Almost as laughable as Armstrong. Dan Hampton, Bob Lilly, Merlin Olsen, Alan Page, Randy White...they are All timers. Seymour is'nt even the best in the league right NOW, let alone an all timer.

Seymour IS the best in the league right now but I agree, it is premature to put him on the Best Ever List. See, I can be reasonable. He sure does have an amazing resume. Four years in the league and he's already a 3 time All-Pro and 3 time Super Bowl Champion.

unifiedtheory said:
Andre Tippet: He was a good player. Again, he was'nt even the best when he played. Ham, Hendricks, Lanier...

Tippet was widely considered the best LB of his day not named LT. He was a force against the run and the pass and his 35.5 sacks over a two year period might even be a record.

unifiedtheory said:
Ty Law: AGAIN...not the best playing right now yet he is an all timer?

Rodney Harrison: :roflmao:

I stand by Law 100 percent and he most certainly IS the best CB in the game right now, when healthy, anyway. Who's better? Champ Bailey? Please....Bailey has always been more hype than substance.

unifiedtheory said:
The moral of this post is don't be a hypocrite. Don't accuse us Dolphin fans of being homers when you post perhaps the most homerish reply in the history of message boards.

You guys are just a bunch of unobjective homers. The Patriots are the greatest team ever and will eventually prove that as they win more championships than any team ever has.

Peace,

);p

Back
Top Bottom