Amendola to sign with Dolphins | Page 17 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Amendola to sign with Dolphins

Amendola is a slot receiver. Grant is an outside receiver. They are both Red Raider alums. Amendola is no threat to Grant.

Albert Wilson will spell Amendola as well as the outside receivers, so his presence will likely affect Grant's touches. But only in a minimal way. Gase will design plays for Grant and make sure he gets his targets.
I know all about the Texas Tech connection. And I agree that Grant can be an outside WR. But remember, Amendola played outside at one time too, and Grant was viewed as a slot receiver as well. These are similar players at different stages of their careers. I _hope_ it works out, and I _hope_ everyone stays healthy and they all play. But the reality is that we're making a lot of changes. A few drops and poor production in training camp ... we may be looking at a Grant-less team, and if I'm Jakeem, I'm well aware of that.

Grant has 13 career receptions while Parker is 113 over the past two seasons. I know some people are upset Parker isn't an elite level receiver at this point, but a sane and unbiased assessment would clearly say Parker is the better player by a wide margin.

Oh, we are playing that game. How many attempts, on the field play, starts has Grant had compared to Parker? Because no "sane and unbiased" person would even post what you did given the opportunities to produce aren't even close by a "wide margin."

I'm I saying Grant is better than Parker straight up? No! I'm saying based on where they are on the team at the moment. I believe Grant is alot safer coming into this year and going into next year than Parker is.

Further, I would guess the coaching staff is a lot happier with Grant at this stage in his development than they are with Parker.

Oh, we are playing that game. How many attempts, on the field play, starts has Grant had compared to Parker? Because no "sane and unbiased" person would even post what you did given the opportunities to produce aren't even close by a "wide margin."

I'm I saying Grant is better than Parker straight up? No! I'm saying based on where they are on the team at the moment. I believe Grant is alot safer coming into this year and going into next year than Parker is.

Further, I would guess the coaching staff is a lot happier with Grant at this stage in his development than they are with Parker.

Obviously Parker has more targets than Grant. Landry had more targets than Parker and it doesn't stop people from comparing the two players. Look beyond the numbers. In no universe would a sane gm say at this point Grant deserves to be on a roster ahead of Parker. The same people who are saying Grant is more promising would be screaming bloody murder and calling for Tannenbaum's head if Miami traded Parker for a 5'6 receiver with 13 career receptions.

If I were Carroo and Parker I'd take notice. If the right offer comes along they will be gone.

No offer is coming for Carroo. But I could see something reasonable for Parker. Sadly, I don't think we will ever see anything more from Parker as a player. His potential is limitless but he's at his ceiling.

Grant is gonna be a special player - his heart is huge and his talent and speed are there.

With Albert Wilson and Grant and Drake and Stills we have speed. REAL SPEED BABY!!!!

No offer is coming for Carroo. But I could see something reasonable for Parker. Sadly, I don't think we will ever see anything more from Parker as a player. His potential is limitless but he's at his ceiling.
I doubt we trade Parker at this point. Very cheap contract and he gets this year to see if he can be as good as we were hoping for.

Ozzy rules!!

I know all about the Texas Tech connection. And I agree that Grant can be an outside WR. But remember, Amendola played outside at one time too, and Grant was viewed as a slot receiver as well. These are similar players at different stages of their careers. I _hope_ it works out, and I _hope_ everyone stays healthy and they all play. But the reality is that we're making a lot of changes. A few drops and poor production in training camp ... we may be looking at a Grant-less team, and if I'm Jakeem, I'm well aware of that.

Unless you have some inside information that none of us are privy to? I see no scenario, outside of something egregious, where Grant isn't on this team. His last couple of games of the season practically guaranteed him a spot on the starting roster.

Obviously Parker has more targets than Grant. Landry had more targets than Parker and it doesn't stop people from comparing the two players. Look beyond the numbers. In no universe would a sane gm say at this point Grant deserves to be on a roster ahead of Parker. The same people who are saying Grant is more promising would be screaming bloody murder and calling for Tannenbaum's head if Miami traded Parker for a 5'6 receiver with 13 career receptions.

What is with this either-or scenario? No one is saying trade Parker or Grant. Clearly, they both can exist on this roster. All I've said is that no one on our roster including the two new receivers can do what Grant can do.

You know what Parker can do based on his time here? Make a spectacular catch every once-in-awhile. That's a Fact!

You know what Grant can do based on his time here? Score a TD from anywhere on the field. That's a Fact!

I think some of us are too quick to dismiss a player and some are too quick to anoint them as the next big thing. Grant's been on both ends of the stick over the past 8 months. He wasn't as bad as people were saying he was in July and August and he's not as good as some tend to think he is now.

Last edited:
What is with this either-or scenario? No one is saying trade Parker or Grant. Clearly, they both can exist on this roster. All I've said is that no one on our roster including the two new receivers can do what Grant can do.

You know what Parker can do based on his time here? Make a spectacular catch every once-in-awhile. That's a Fact!

You know what Grant can do based on his time here? Score a TD from anywhere on the field. That's a Fact!

No they are saying cut Parker and keep Grant and that Parker is on thinner ice to make the roster than Grant. I'm saying no way in hell Grant is ahead of Parker on depth chart.

As for Parker I think he was used to being the big dog in a receiver room and that wasn't the case with Landry in room. Some players need to be feel they are viewed as the big dog to perform like one. Not saying that's good or bad, just that putting more on Parker's shoulders could be a good thing. We shall see.

Last edited:
Sure they are people in this very thread have said Parker is on thinner ice to make the roster than Grant. I'm saying no way in hell Grant is ahead of Parker on depth chart.

As for Parker I think he was used to being the big dog in a receiver room and that wasn't the case with Landry in room. Some players need to be feel they are viewed as the big dog to perform like one. Not saying that's good or bad, just that putting more on Parker's shoulders could be a good thing. We shall see.

All kidding aside. Do you really believe that's what Parker was lacking? Do you honestly believe he needed Landry to leave so he could finally step up and be the BIG DOG?

OK, I like Amendola ... when he's healthy. I'm not doubting his ability. The Patriots, like many good franchises in numerous sports, tend to let good players go a year early rather than a year late. IMHO, this is likely the case with Amendola--he still has plenty of ability. My questions are:
1. Will he stay healthy?
2. Why do we now have 3 small speedsters, which seems redundant? (Grant, Amendola, Wilson).
3. What does this mean for Stills/Parker/Caroo?
4. How does this and the Wilson acquisition impact punt returns?
5. Are we going to address the TE position or make it another after-thought/retread?

I will be watching closely, because it is starting to feel like the Smurfs era in Washington, and I'm not sure we have Duper and Clayton ... and nobody will ever fill Dan Marino's shoes.

All kidding aside. Do you really believe that's what Parker was lacking? Do you honestly believe he needed Landry to leave so he could finally step up and be the BIG DOG?

Actually I think that could be the case. Force feed a player through their ups and downs and you may end up getting a player that no longer worries about the ups and downs and just plays the game. It happens all the time in football and other sports as well. Sometimes it's by a player ahead of them leaving and sometimes it's by a player being traded to another team. But in Miami Parker has always been the little brother to Landry. Not saying that it wasn't justified just that let's see what little brother can do now that the focus on him is kicked up a notch. Some rise to the occasion and some wilt. I choose to believe Parker can and will rise.

Actually I think that could be the case. Force feed a player through their ups and downs and you may end up getting a player that no longer worries about the ups and downs and just plays the game. It happens all the time in football and other sports as well. Sometimes it's by a player ahead of them leaving and sometimes it's by a player being traded to another team. But in Miami Parker has always been the little brother to Landry. Not saying that it wasn't justified just that let's see what little brother can do now that the focus on him is kicked up a notch. Some rise to the occasion and some wilt. I choose to believe Parker can and will rise.

If that's what it takes then in my mind it doesn't sound promising. A BIG DOG kicks butt no matter who's in the room.

A few drops and poor production in training camp ... we may be looking at a Grant-less team, and if I'm Jakeem, I'm well aware of that.
I know the drops are a concern, but going by this official Miami Dolphins promotional video it appears to suggest that the organization is simply thrilled with Grant’s extraordinary speed now...

Back
Top Bottom