Amendola to sign with Dolphins | Page 16 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Amendola to sign with Dolphins

We gave this contract to Brian Hartline back when the cap was alot smaller... This is not the type of contract that'll make or break your cap situation...

Let's see what the actual contract details look like first but Brian Hartline was rewarded for putting up a 1k season and then turned around and put up a 1k season the following year and was then released with a 4.2M dead cap hit.

Amendola has never sniffed 1k and will most likely split snaps with Wilson. He will likely not even get close to the amount of snaps Hartline got in those two years even though he was phased out under a new system with Lazor. Hartline also only missed 4 games in 6 years in Miami and was 27 when he got the new deal.

No, this ONE contract will not make or break your salary cap. Add up all the overpaid players on the dolphins and then tell me what that does to your cap. Branch, Kiko, Timmons, Mario Williams, Suh, etc. If not for Timmons AWOL incident we would be on the hook for almost the full amount of his contract.

Given the way this FO structures contracts, it will likely have a low first year cap hit and end up being a one year deal for $8.5M with a 4.25M dead hit in 2019. Chances are the guy gets hurt. He averages 12 games per year with 4 starts. Are we once again expecting a player to be something he's never been? Durable, young...

This may seem nuts but I actually see now that there is a plan at work here. And that plan is to have a smarter football team. Think about it. Amendola is a guy who has a high football IQ and has been able to play in a very complex offense in New England with success. Albert Wilson is known as a guy with a very high football IQ and we went out and grabbed him.

Go back to Adam Gase's press conference on Friday after the Baltimore meltdown. He said he was done compromising his offense for anybody and he wanted guys who would learn the playbook inside and out.

A lot of things coming into focus now, IMO.
I agree with you, it's refreshing to see the Dolphins with a coach who has a plan. The only thing that I hate, is picking up older players at high salaries in FA...that said I'll wait and see the end product.

All this is telling me that Gase wants to spread it out and rotate receivers. Believe it was stated he had to dumb down his offense because some could not grasp it.

I would have preferred to have signed Wilson, Carlos Hyde at rb, $3 million in cap space and draft a receiver in the mid rounds if needed.

I agree with you, it's refreshing to see the Dolphins with a coach who has a plan. The only thing that I hate, is picking up older players at high salaries in FA...that said I'll wait and see the end product.

The reality of the NFL pay structure is this:
1) There are a limited number of draft positions available. Teams can sign up any number of undrafted personnel, but in the end there is a fixed number of players allowed on an NFL team.
1) Drafted personnel make a good salary, but it is basically limited to where they were picked in the draft. Think of them as raw mined diamonds, whose blemishes and value will be brought out in the next 4 to 5 years. If they are badly flawed they won't last even that long.
2) At the end of their initial contract with a team the player is more experienced, has a track record that can used to try and establish a monetary value at his position and be 4 or 5 years older then when he was drafted, probably with an injury history. At this point in his career a player can:
  • Get traded while under contract.
  • Get a new, extremely lucrative contract with his current team
  • Get an offer from his team but try free agency to see if he can get more money
  • Get cut by his team and see what he can get by himself in free agency
The point is this, with the exception of UDFA's, Free Agents are usually older and have an NFL established performance history as compared to a draftee. For they reason they will be much more expensive than a draftee.

They are few in number and exist in a very limited and selective market for a limited amount of time. They are now like diamonds, fully formed with all their flaws visible. In this market they are like either an industrial grade diamond, which is not any better or possibly not as good as a raw mined diamond (a Draftee), or they are a real GEM (pardon the pun) and will be worth much more money then a raw mined diamond (a Draftee).

So Free Agents are going to be older with known strengths and weaknesses and very expensive. If they fill a teams need which can't be filled by the draft they will make whatever the market can bear.

This is the way it works in the NFL.

Danny has a new profile pic on twitter, lol.

3c127kOu_400x400.jpg

If I'm Jakeem Grant ... I'm feeling awful nervous right now. If I'm Carroo, I'm calling my agent about new teams who may be interested. If I'm DeVante Parker, I'm keeping Rotoworld on my phone at all times. None of our existing WR's can be happy about adding two new receivers.

Amendola is talented, but the knock on him--literally--is that he cannot stay healthy. Another year older and more fragile ... I sure hope there are a bunch of games-played type incentives.

You can't be serious about Jakeem Grant feeling "awful nervous right now." You're entitled to your opinion but from my view, Grant is safer on this roster than Parker. Literally, he's only behind Stills as far as safe from cuts or not seeing the field. Of course, barring any crazy injury scenario.

No one on the roster can do what he can. No one and that makes him very safe!

You can't be serious about Jakeem Grant feeling "awful nervous right now." You're entitled to your opinion but from my view, Grant is safer on this roster than Parker. Literally, he's only behind Stills as far as safe from cuts or not seeing the field. Of course, barring any crazy injury scenario.

No one on the roster can do what he can. No one and that makes him very safe!
Yeah, actually I am. I know Grant is saying all the right things ... but no WR corps is going to have 3 undersized speed guys and start all of them. With two more guys (one of whom is Amendola) who can also return punts and be a speed threat ... his skills are quickly becoming duplicative. Now, I'm a huge fan of Grant, and think his start-stop quickness is unparalleled ... but you cannot deny that there is somewhat of a skill overlap adding these two WR's in place of a different sort like Landry.

Yeah, actually I am. I know Grant is saying all the right things ... but no WR corps is going to have 3 undersized speed guys and start all of them. With two more guys (one of whom is Amendola) who can also return punts and be a speed threat ... his skills are quickly becoming duplicative. Now, I'm a huge fan of Grant, and think his start-stop quickness is unparalleled ... but you cannot deny that there is somewhat of a skill overlap adding these two WR's in place of a different sort like Landry.

So they would get rid of the cheapest, youngest, most familiar, and most explosive option of the bunch?

Did you just put Amendola in the speed threat category on par with Grant? Yikes!

I'm really trying to see your angle here Digital. But I really can't see it. If they were crazy enough to release, cut Grant he would be picked up in a second and almost without question by the Patriots.

I get what you're saying about overlapping talents. But you don't dump a guy that's coming on like Grant when he only adds a plus to your Roster. Hell, has he even been hurt since he's been with us? Certainly not like Amendola has.

Amendola is a slot receiver. Grant is an outside receiver. They are both Red Raider alums. Amendola is no threat to Grant. Grant is genuinely thrilled to welcome Amendola to the team.

Albert Wilson will spell Amendola as well as the outside receivers, so his presence will likely affect Grant's touches. But only in a minimal way. Gase will design plays for Grant and make sure he gets his targets.

Grant has 13 career receptions while Parker is 113 over the past two seasons. I know some people are upset Parker isn't an elite level receiver at this point, but a sane and unbiased assessment would clearly say Parker is the better player by a wide margin. I don't think Grant's odds are much higher than Carroo's or Isaiah Ford's, and I would still consider a day three receiver if the draft value is there and it's a better option than other needs. For example if there's B level receiver on the board and c level linebackers,defensive tackles, safeties, tight ends, safeties and running backs I'm ok with taking the receiver.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom