An All Offense Draft? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

An All Offense Draft?

If we end up with 5 picks... which isn't a bad assumption, one trade down would accomplish this... I'd like to see us go with 2 D, and 3 O, with the two better picks split between the two units. I will always favour a balance.

But quite honestly, if we can secure one of the Ogbah-replacements that I crave, then I'd swallow the idea that all of the other picks could be for short term gain... even though I think this is the ass-backwards way to go. I am a firm believer that you draft for long-term, and trade/sign FAs for short-term.

I will always believe that if we draft solely for short-term, we are dooming ourselves long-term, but I won't scream about it.

If you're drafting for the long term, you shouldn't even consider need. You should go strictly off talent, fit, and positional value. Generally, I agree this would be the best approach, and I have Kraft, Mingo, and Miller as excellent values in SF's mock.

If we end up with 5 picks... which isn't a bad assumption, one trade down would accomplish this... I'd like to see us go with 2 D, and 3 O, with the two better picks split between the two units. I will always favour a balance.

But quite honestly, if we can secure one of the Ogbah-replacements that I crave, then I'd swallow the idea that all of the other picks could be for short term gain... even though I think this is the ass-backwards way to go. I am a firm believer that you draft for long-term, and trade/sign FAs for short-term.

I will always believe that if we draft solely for short-term, we are dooming ourselves long-term, but I won't scream about it.
Next year Miami will have its full arsenal of picks. Maybe that's when you look for long-term answers on defense? Obviously, if a too good to pass up player is there, you take him, regardless of position.

Right now if you rank the Dolphins offensive units, I would guess something like this.

Quarterback...top 10, top 5 if Tua plays closer to 17 games.

Offensive line...bottom third. I believe PFF had Miami at 22 or 24.

Running back...middle of pack at best. Mostert had a really good year in 2022.

Wide Receiver...top 5, but not a lot of depth. Hill and Waddle may be the best duo in the NFL.

Tight End....32nd? At least on paper.

Offense needs help.

Last edited:
There is the possibility that Miami will address RT and/or LG later in the Summer when they have the Byron Jones $$$ to spend.

From a pure need standpoint I see LG as the bigger need as I have no confidence in Eichenberg while I still think there is a chance Jackson can be solid at RT.

I have talked quite a bit on here about drafting a C and moving Williams back to LG. There are 3 pretty good prospects at C at least one(probably more)of whom will be on the board for Miami. OG Steve Avila is a plug and play option but he seems less likely to make it to 51.

RB is not a huge need as in my view an improved OL will take acre of the running game with the guys they have now. But I would not mind adding a young RB after R3(which would require picking up and extra day 3 pick or 2).

TE is a luxury as far as I am concerned. I would love to plug Kraft or LaPorta into the offense but for m the OL has to come first.

On the defensive side I think the secondary is set. The two LB's they added should temper the need to draft one as well.

The DL is at a bit of a crossroads. We assume Wilkins will be extended and that is great but it will strain the budget a bit.Will that cost them Seiler? Even if they pay Seiler too they will not have much depth inside.is Davis going to be healthy and productive? Or is he a soon to be ex-Fin?

Ogbah seems to be a goner according to this forum but what if he returns to the form that got him the contract that everyone celebrated and now hates?

As I see it any draft investment in the DL this year comes down to DE vs DT, they just don't have the picks to dedicate 2 of them to the DL.

There are interesting prospects at both positions that could be available to Miami on Day 2.

Edge/DE:

Tuli Tuipulto-USC. Brings flexibility as he has played all over the DL for USC.
Andre Carter-Army. A total project with real upside potential, unlikely to contribute early.
Karl Brooks-Bowling Green. A favorite of mine as I feel he is a great fit and is being underrated.
Nick Herbig-Wisconsin. A tweener type who is a pure pass rusher, not sure if he could play LB or add weight and be a real DE.
Isaiah Foskey-ND. Bigger DE with good production at a high level. Was not as good this year compared to 2021 but looks to be a solid NFL pass rusher.
Derrick Hall-Auburn. Another tweener who maybe projects to DE but might be a 3/4 guy.
Keion White GA Tech. Great size, is an older prospect, did not run but the workout he did do was solid from a strength standpoint.
KJ Henry-Clemosn. Forgotten guy from the Tigers D, has pretty good size, workout was slightly above average.
Mike Morris-Mich. Pre Combine darling who did not work out well, but could be an Ogbah type DE for Miami.

DL/DT:

Siaki Ika-Baylor. Hugh DT, had a bad year and worked out poorly. Pas for me although I know others like him.
Keeanu Benton-WISC. Another Badger who is a favorite in this forum.Versatile DL who could play both inside and out.Would have no problem drafting him.
Kobie Turner-Wake. Good size and is good against the run. Pass rush is a work in progress but he has the tools to become productive there in time.
Keondre Coburn-Texas. Run stuffer with some bull rush value, has good short area quickness/footwork and could develop into a better pass rusher than he has shown.

As I said barring additional picks I don't see Miami using 2 picks on DL players so in this exercize we are going to take one from the two lists total.

From the DE list my guy would be Brooks followed by Tuli and Morris. They all seem like Ogbah types in that they will set the edge and hold up against the run.

The only interior guy I really feel strongly about his Benton and I would be happy to have him.

Add a few picks in the 3-5 round area and I would be happy with Benton and Morris, plus and interior OL(Wypler/Tippman/Schmitz/Avila), with RB(any of 7-8 guys after the top 5 guys, Chase Brown is a favorite of mine, but I would love Spears) and TE(Kraft/Laporta) after that.

Well... let me be the contrarian.

I hate the idea of an all offensive draft, Hate it.

There are too many coming holes in this football team. Ogbah's gone after this year. Sieler and Wilkins are both due new expensive contracts and we have no depth here to begin with. Baker is moderately overpaid for what he brings to the table. Long is on a two-year deal. X could be gone soon... Ramsey is a two-year rental. Only Edge and Safety are good for a few more years... this defense is a short-term construction, and we don't have many young players in the chain.

Yes, we need a BLOCKING TE (and they are cheap); Yes, we need a young RB (which can frequently be found late); Yes, we need a swing Tackle prospect... but most of our Defense WILL be gone in two years... this is almost inevitable.

An all-offense draft would be a sugar high.
We only have two picks in the top 100 then 1 6th and 1 7th

I know you know that but it’s like I get what your saying but we need young prospects on offense much more than the F

Tight end and running back and Oline are void of prospects plus this draft is deep in two of those units

There is the possibility that Miami will address RT and/or LG later in the Summer when they have the Byron Jones $$$ to spend.

From a pure need standpoint I see LG as the bigger need as I have no confidence in Eichenberg while I still think there is a chance Jackson can be solid at RT.

I have talked quite a bit on here about drafting a C and moving Williams back to LG. There are 3 pretty good prospects at C at least one(probably more)of whom will be on the board for Miami. OG Steve Avila is a plug and play option but he seems less likely to make it to 51.

RB is not a huge need as in my view an improved OL will take acre of the running game with the guys they have now. But I would not mind adding a young RB after R3(which would require picking up and extra day 3 pick or 2).

TE is a luxury as far as I am concerned. I would love to plug Kraft or LaPorta into the offense but for m the OL has to come first.

On the defensive side I think the secondary is set. The two LB's they added should temper the need to draft one as well.

The DL is at a bit of a crossroads. We assume Wilkins will be extended and that is great but it will strain the budget a bit.Will that cost them Seiler? Even if they pay Seiler too they will not have much depth inside.is Davis going to be healthy and productive? Or is he a soon to be ex-Fin?

Ogbah seems to be a goner according to this forum but what if he returns to the form that got him the contract that everyone celebrated and now hates?

As I see it any draft investment in the DL this year comes down to DE vs DT, they just don't have the picks to dedicate 2 of them to the DL.

There are interesting prospects at both positions that could be available to Miami on Day 2.

Edge/DE:

Tuli Tuipulto-USC. Brings flexibility as he has played all over the DL for USC.
Andre Carter-Army. A total project with real upside potential, unlikely to contribute early.
Karl Brooks-Bowling Green. A favorite of mine as I feel he is a great fit and is being underrated.
Nick Herbig-Wisconsin. A tweener type who is a pure pass rusher, not sure if he could play LB or add weight and be a real DE.
Isaiah Foskey-ND. Bigger DE with good production at a high level. Was not as good this year compared to 2021 but looks to be a solid NFL pass rusher.
Derrick Hall-Auburn. Another tweener who maybe projects to DE but might be a 3/4 guy.
Keion White GA Tech. Great size, is an older prospect, did not run but the workout he did do was solid from a strength standpoint.
KJ Henry-Clemosn. Forgotten guy from the Tigers D, has pretty good size, workout was slightly above average.
Mike Morris-Mich. Pre Combine darling who did not work out well, but could be an Ogbah type DE for Miami.

DL/DT:

Siaki Ika-Baylor. Hugh DT, had a bad year and worked out poorly. Pas for me although I know others like him.
Keeanu Benton-WISC. Another Badger who is a favorite in this forum.Versatile DL who could play both inside and out.Would have no problem drafting him.
Kobie Turner-Wake. Good size and is good against the run. Pass rush is a work in progress but he has the tools to become productive there in time.
Keondre Coburn-Texas. Run stuffer with some bull rush value, has good short area quickness/footwork and could develop into a better pass rusher than he has shown.

As I said barring additional picks I don't see Miami using 2 picks on DL players so in this exercize we are going to take one from the two lists total.

From the DE list my guy would be Brooks followed by Tuli and Morris. They all seem like Ogbah types in that they will set the edge and hold up against the run.

The only interior guy I really feel strongly about his Benton and I would be happy to have him.

Add a few picks in the 3-5 round area and I would be happy with Benton and Morris, plus and interior OL(Wypler/Tippman/Schmitz/Avila), with RB(any of 7-8 guys after the top 5 guys, Chase Brown is a favorite of mine, but I would love Spears) and TE(Kraft/Laporta) after that.

Definitely a great deal of defensive talent that I'd love for Miami to get. If Grier can add picks, defense would make more sense.

White is almost always projected top 40. If he fell to Miami's pick that could fall under "too good to pass up." I wouldn't be disappointed in a number of those DL's that you highlighted.

Avila is one of my favorites on the offensive line and very versatile. Plug and play at center or guard. Again, I don't think he makes it to Miami and might even sneak into the 1st round.

I think the Dolphins can add a running back late, who could be an eventual starter. That's probably what I would do unless Gibbs drops. I really like Charbonnet for Miami as a well rounded back.

On paper, Miami's tight end room has to be the worst in the league. Either pick 51 or 87 likely has to go TE.

I doubt it happens but a Gibbs drop to 51 would be a hard call to make. Even with the depth of talent at Rb to be had later, Gibbs in McDaniel's offense could be scary.

I probably would not do it but he would be tough to pass on.

I doubt it happens but a Gibbs drop to 51 would be a hard call to make. Even with the depth of talent at Rb to be had later, Gibbs in McDaniel's offense could be scary.

I probably would not do it but he would be tough to pass on.
I'm also wondering how far Achane falls. Like Gibbs, he could be a monster in McDaniel's system.

If you're drafting for the long term, you shouldn't even consider need. You should go strictly off talent, fit, and positional value. Generally, I agree this would be the best approach, and I have Kraft, Mingo, and Miller as excellent values in SF's mock.
I could be talked into Miller on the third day, but I'm not nearly as high on Kraft or Mingo as some here... Kraft, I think will be over drafted and Mingo looks like a big slot, Cedric Wilson type.

Next year Miami will have its full arsenal of picks. Maybe that's when you look for long-term answers on defense? Obviously, if a too good to pass up player is there, you take him, regardless of position.

Right now if you rank the Dolphins offensive units, I would guess something like this.

Quarterback...top 10, top 5 if Tua plays closer to 17 games.

Offensive line...bottom third. I believe PFF had Miami at 22 or 24.

Running back...middle of pack at best. Mostert had a really good year in 2022.

Wide Receiver...top 5, but not a lot of depth. Hill and Waddle may be the best duo in the NFL.

Tight End....32nd? At least on paper.

Offense needs help.
Agree that the offense needs help... but when I look purely at value, TE and RB are generally not the way to go, both positions are 'cheap' by NFL terms. Hell... Mostert and Wilson together don't get 5m/year, and TEs are a) usually bad for a couple of years, and b) don't get big paychecks.
People who expect us to draft a TE, AND have him play at a high level while we are still in this two-year window are a mite optimistic.
At least with a RB, they are usually good right away.

Agree that the offense needs help... but when I look purely at value, TE and RB are generally not the way to go, both positions are 'cheap' by NFL terms. Hell... Mostert and Wilson together don't get 5m/year, and TEs are a) usually bad for a couple of years, and b) don't get big paychecks.
People who expect us to draft a TE, AND have him play at a high level while we are still in this two-year window are a mite optimistic.
At least with a RB, they are usually good right away.
All good points. I'd love to tap into the rich CB and DL talent in this draft and maybe that happens. I think if Grier trades down, and adds a pick, it's a more likely scenario.

Apparently Irv Smith nearly chose Miami so the Dolphins were at least considering another veteran add there. Although the TE position is usually slower to develop at the NFL level, how worse can a rookie be over Gesicki's production? I don't think that should prevent Grier from drafting in a talented TE class.

I do think Miami can find a rb late.

All good points. I'd love to tap into the rich CB and DL talent in this draft and maybe that happens. I think if Grier trades down, and adds a pick, it's a more likely scenario.

Apparently Irv Smith nearly chose Miami so the Dolphins were at least considering another veteran add there. Although the TE position is usually slower to develop at the NFL level, how worse can a rookie be over Gesicki's production? I don't think that should prevent Grier from drafting in a talented TE class.

I do think Miami can find a rb late.
The TE pool is deeper than I've ever seen it... and that's EXACTLY why I'd be hesitant to draft one early.
I'd reduce it down to the 4-5 guys that I like, then try to wait out the other teams. I certainly wouldn't go first here and I think that's what a lot of people are suggesting when they want a TE at 51.
I wont scream, but honestly... the one pick that I just instantly hated over the past few years was Hunter Long... I hate, hated that pick from the first day.

I'm also wondering how far Achane falls. Like Gibbs, he could be a monster in McDaniel's system.
I think it is pretty likely Achane will be there at 51.

I would love to see another crazy fast guy in the offense but you can get that with Keaton Mitchell on Day 3 or guys like Spears and Tucker and Deuce Vaughn much later than Achane.

I just don't see RB as a need. Build the OL and Miami has more than enough RB talent to run the ball effectively.

I could be talked into Miller on the third day, but I'm not nearly as high on Kraft or Mingo as some here... Kraft, I think will be over drafted and Mingo looks like a big slot, Cedric Wilson type.

Imo Kraft is Goedert v2 but with better speed. Think he's comfortably better than Mayer.

Jonathan Mingo is bigger, faster, and more physical than Wilson. You can line him up anywhere - including X - and his value is that he can do the dirty work or create explosive plays from any of those positions. Think of Sherfied if he were bigger, faster, and more explosive - also much better after the catch. He can give you big plays off RAC or a vertical threat. He might never be a high-target guy, but his versatility and explosiveness is particularly valuable to an offense like Miami's.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230331_163031_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230331_163031_Chrome.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_20230331_163001_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230331_163001_Chrome.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 7
Back
Top Bottom