An All Offense Draft? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

An All Offense Draft?

There is the possibility that Miami will address RT and/or LG later in the Summer when they have the Byron Jones $$$ to spend.

From a pure need standpoint I see LG as the bigger need as I have no confidence in Eichenberg while I still think there is a chance Jackson can be solid at RT.

I have talked quite a bit on here about drafting a C and moving Williams back to LG. There are 3 pretty good prospects at C at least one(probably more)of whom will be on the board for Miami. OG Steve Avila is a plug and play option but he seems less likely to make it to 51.

RB is not a huge need as in my view an improved OL will take acre of the running game with the guys they have now. But I would not mind adding a young RB after R3(which would require picking up and extra day 3 pick or 2).

TE is a luxury as far as I am concerned. I would love to plug Kraft or LaPorta into the offense but for m the OL has to come first.

On the defensive side I think the secondary is set. The two LB's they added should temper the need to draft one as well.

The DL is at a bit of a crossroads. We assume Wilkins will be extended and that is great but it will strain the budget a bit.Will that cost them Seiler? Even if they pay Seiler too they will not have much depth inside.is Davis going to be healthy and productive? Or is he a soon to be ex-Fin?

Ogbah seems to be a goner according to this forum but what if he returns to the form that got him the contract that everyone celebrated and now hates?

As I see it any draft investment in the DL this year comes down to DE vs DT, they just don't have the picks to dedicate 2 of them to the DL.

There are interesting prospects at both positions that could be available to Miami on Day 2.

Edge/DE:

Tuli Tuipulto-USC. Brings flexibility as he has played all over the DL for USC.
Andre Carter-Army. A total project with real upside potential, unlikely to contribute early.
Karl Brooks-Bowling Green. A favorite of mine as I feel he is a great fit and is being underrated.
Nick Herbig-Wisconsin. A tweener type who is a pure pass rusher, not sure if he could play LB or add weight and be a real DE.
Isaiah Foskey-ND. Bigger DE with good production at a high level. Was not as good this year compared to 2021 but looks to be a solid NFL pass rusher.
Derrick Hall-Auburn. Another tweener who maybe projects to DE but might be a 3/4 guy.
Keion White GA Tech. Great size, is an older prospect, did not run but the workout he did do was solid from a strength standpoint.
KJ Henry-Clemosn. Forgotten guy from the Tigers D, has pretty good size, workout was slightly above average.
Mike Morris-Mich. Pre Combine darling who did not work out well, but could be an Ogbah type DE for Miami.

DL/DT:

Siaki Ika-Baylor. Hugh DT, had a bad year and worked out poorly. Pas for me although I know others like him.
Keeanu Benton-WISC. Another Badger who is a favorite in this forum.Versatile DL who could play both inside and out.Would have no problem drafting him.
Kobie Turner-Wake. Good size and is good against the run. Pass rush is a work in progress but he has the tools to become productive there in time.
Keondre Coburn-Texas. Run stuffer with some bull rush value, has good short area quickness/footwork and could develop into a better pass rusher than he has shown.

As I said barring additional picks I don't see Miami using 2 picks on DL players so in this exercize we are going to take one from the two lists total.

From the DE list my guy would be Brooks followed by Tuli and Morris. They all seem like Ogbah types in that they will set the edge and hold up against the run.

The only interior guy I really feel strongly about his Benton and I would be happy to have him.

Add a few picks in the 3-5 round area and I would be happy with Benton and Morris, plus and interior OL(Wypler/Tippman/Schmitz/Avila), with RB(any of 7-8 guys after the top 5 guys, Chase Brown is a favorite of mine, but I would love Spears) and TE(Kraft/Laporta) after that.

Generally, it's hard to find difference-makers at Edge outside the Top 40. I don't think this class is particularly good, so I wouldn't rush to test that. If you're going to find one, you probably need to look outside of prototypes - someone like Yasir Abdullah.

I am not expecting to find a big time pass rusher where Miami is picking, but you can find versatile DE who can bring some pass rush value and be good against the run.

Several of the guys I named fit that bill and will likely be drafted outside the Top 40.

I am curious to watch the Fangio Defense this year to get a better handle on the type of players that fit best.

I think it is pretty likely Achane will be there at 51.

I would love to see another crazy fast guy in the offense but you can get that with Keaton Mitchell on Day 3 or guys like Spears and Tucker and Deuce Vaughn much later than Achane.

I just don't see RB as a need. Build the OL and Miami has more than enough RB talent to run the ball effectively.
I do think Miami can find a RB late and that's probably what Grier will do.

That 51 maybe a little early for Achane, but I don't know if I could pass him up in the 3rd if he makes it there.

The TE pool is deeper than I've ever seen it... and that's EXACTLY why I'd be hesitant to draft one early.
I'd reduce it down to the 4-5 guys that I like, then try to wait out the other teams. I certainly wouldn't go first here and I think that's what a lot of people are suggesting when they want a TE at 51.
I wont scream, but honestly... the one pick that I just instantly hated over the past few years was Hunter Long... I hate, hated that pick from the first day.
Agree, the tight end position is really deep. But when you are looking at te's who can be a receiving threat and block, the numbers are a little lower.

I would probably look to the 3rd round, unless there's an early run. This is one position where I don't think the Dolphins can miss out.

I'm not sure what's left at the position in free agency and I don't think Gronk is coming to Miami, despite social media rumors.

I am not expecting to find a big time pass rusher where Miami is picking, but you can find versatile DE who can bring some pass rush value and be good against the run.

Several of the guys I named fit that bill and will likely be drafted outside the Top 40.

I am curious to watch the Fangio Defense this year to get a better handle on the type of players that fit best.

I just wouldn't take any of them over Kraft, LaPorta, or Gibbs.

I prefer a defensive draft. Other than TE I think we are set. As far as LG, I firmly believe they can get one in UDFA. I do not see impact in those offensive selections other than Kraft. I'm okay with Kraft but would prefer Schoonmaker, he tested well and comes from premier school. I'm Okay also with LaPorta, Musgrave, and Strange.

Generally, it's hard to find difference-makers at Edge outside the Top 40. I don't think this class is particularly good, so I wouldn't rush to test that. If you're going to find one, you probably need to look outside of prototypes - someone like Yasir Abdullah.

Abdullah would be my #1 target ILB in this draft. I have very little interest in any other ILB.

I do think Miami can find a RB late and that's probably what Grier will do.

That 51 maybe a little early for Achane, but I don't know if I could pass him up in the 3rd if he makes it there.
Achane at 84 would be a different story, that is the territory I would be more willing to go Rb with Spears, Bisby, Achane, McBride, Miller, Vaughn, Tucker, Brown and Mitchell being 3rd-5th round guys.

Honestly I would be happy with any of those guys but I would prefer Spears, Achane and Bisby over the rest.

I just wouldn't take any of them over Kraft, LaPorta, or Gibbs.
It is doubtful Gibbs will be an option and while I would like to grab a TE, and I like those two in particular, I am going OL ahead of them if that is the option.

I'd like to trade down and get the IOL and the TE and get a RB later but the Draft might not play out that way for Miami.

Achane at 84 would be a different story, that is the territory I would be more willing to go Rb with Spears, Bisby, Achane, McBride, Miller, Vaughn, Tucker, Brown and Mitchell being 3rd-5th round guys.

Honestly I would be happy with any of those guys but I would prefer Spears, Achane and Bisby over the rest.
What are your thoughts on McIntosh? I like him as a receiver out of the backfield. I also think he's in that 3-5 range depending on what teams are looking for.

It is doubtful Gibbs will be an option and while I would like to grab a TE, and I like those two in particular, I am going OL ahead of them if that is the option.

I'd like to trade down and get the IOL and the TE and get a RB later but the Draft might not play out that way for Miami.

I just don't like the OL projected to be available. If you told me at 51 Miami could lock down RT, yes, I'd be all for that. I'm not confident that's on the table.

I wouldn't hate LG, and there should be someone capable at 51, but with Kraft or LaPorta you get more upside.

I just don't like the OL projected to be available. If you told me at 51 Miami could lock down RT, yes, I'd be all for that. I'm not confident that's on the table.

I wouldn't hate LG, and there should be someone capable at 51, but with Kraft or LaPorta you get more upside.
I would argue that a quality C or LG would help Tua more than a TE ever will.

I think any of the top 3 C's or Avila would have a huge impact on the OL, filling what was the weakest spot with either Avila, or Williams moving back to LG and making way for an actual C.I may be a bigger Luke Wypler fan than most but the way he moves his feet seems like he was made to play in this Offense.Tippmann has good feet too, as does Mauch.Schmintz is less of an athlete than the others but he is a quality OC prospect, most have him #1 in the class.

Cody Mauch is an OT who might move inside who would help as well and could possibly stick at RT. Matt Bergeron from Syracuse is similar as OG might be his future but he looks like a fit athletically at RT for Miami.

Darnell Wright is probably a dream to slide to Miami and they won't sniff any of the other top OT's.

As I said, I am somewhat confident that a vet RT can be found later in Training Camp when the team gains the Byron Jones Cap space. I suppose an IOL could be added that way as well.

But I would be worried should the team come out of this Draft with nothing on the OL.

This team has a Super Bowl future that will be scuttled by poor OL play.

What are your thoughts on McIntosh? I like him as a receiver out of the backfield. I also think he's in that 3-5 range depending on what teams are looking for.
I have never been a big McIntosh fan but I should probably add him to my list. He is versatile as he can catch it and blocks well which is not always true with rookie RB's.

Unless they add a few picks i don't think the Fins will be drafting a true LB.

Back
Top Bottom