An Idea to Think About. | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

An Idea to Think About.

Idiocy?

What was idiotic about asking all of you to poop or get off the pot?

Originally posted by dolfan4good

This defgense was leading the league in fewest points allowed and you claim that this CORE of players is not working? Sure, they just faced a buzzsaw of an offense in Tennessee and gave up 2 early scores but the offense did absolutely nothing to keep our defense off the field and make adjustments between series. This is the best defense we have had in a long time and it is working. Blame the offense for NOT doing their part!!!!! When you have a back like RW, there is no reason why we shouldn't win the Time of Possession every game!

If you are trying to trade Zach in a "Hershel" type trade, I think I'd rather trade JT who, unlike Zach, has not shown that he can put 2 years together in a row.

Yeah your right, I agree they are a great Defense and I've enjoyed watching them play over the past years (Only the first half of each season though).

Yes it maybe that our offense keeps waring them out, but last year we rushed for 1800+ and we still gave up too many points at the end.

They say DEFENSE wins Championships, and we've had the (within) top 5 Defense the past what 5-6 years. How many championships? -Hell, how many 1st round wins?

We pay all the money to Defense, and the only player we have on offense is Ricky, and we all know he wouldn't be here if his contract with the Saints wasn't "Owner Friendly".

Point, we need to drop some of the defense to get some offense.

Originally posted by KenCalo

Point, we need to drop some of the defense to get some offense.

I will agree with this in the following way.... I think Wanny neglected the Offense in the off season after missing out on Wayne Gandy. I think he changed his philosophy to "If we can't score 7 more points a game then lets stop the opponent from scoring 7 points". Thus he went out and signed Seau, Zgonina, Knight, and Buckley.

I don't think at this point that dismantling the defense will serve any good. Unless of course a different coach with a different defensive philosophy comes in and then certain players no longer fit the mold.

Originally posted by finfan54

i dont know, zach was out this game and there was a huge space left open over themiddle. i think your wrong. but i woudl trade sam madison for a first rounder. i would trade JT if i signed adewale and we could get another serious draft pick. but i wouldnt pull the trigger if we didnt get enough in return. and i wouldnt even think QB unless you can get a good one that you know will be able to play in the nfl. i think we should draft OL bigtime and get rid of ruddy, nails, Perry, and maybe todd wade if he asks for too much. that means, you need to draft some serious linemen. when will any fan understand that you need a great Oline in order to do anything in this league? everyone wants superstars but dont understand that the horses up front is what wins you game after game. noone talks about the Oline in KC but they are the best. i wonder who the best team in teh NFL is? duh.

I agree with the "OL", and maybe I shouldn't have used Zach as an example. He is the heart of the defense. If we get rid of a couple "big name" slackers on defense and add to the offense. Then maybe Zach wouldn't have to tackle 18 times a game to keep us in a game.

Originally posted by dolfan4good

I will agree with this in the following way.... I think Wanny neglected the Offense in the off season after missing out on Wayne Gandy. I think he changed his philosophy to "If we can't score 7 more points a game then lets stop the opponent from scoring 7 points". Thus he went out and signed Seau, Zgonina, Knight, and Buckley.

I don't think at this point that dismantling the defense will serve any good. Unless of course a different coach with a different defensive philosophy comes in and then certain players no longer fit the mold.

No I never meant dismantling. Just trade a couple for a better draft pick. (Which I know it's not a guantee we'll get a great young player).

These past years have been great. The Dolphins are a winning team, what 6 straight playoff appearances before last year. Bad side is the embarrassing loses in the playoffs, and since they made it to the playoffs they don't get many top round picks in the draft.

-would I want a few bad years to gather great young talent and hope to make a 2-3 year run at the championship, or continue being a great team but just not great enough?

Zach Thomas is probably the only player on the entire friggin' team with any heart. I think if I was going to rebuild the Dolphins from square 1, and cut every single player... the ONE guy I'd want to have back would be Zach.

dam it people our D is great when the opponent has a losing record .. its like we are good enough to beat the little people but when we play with the big boys we get spanked... this week we should beat baltimore.. i mean they have a guy who has not seen live action in 2yrs... then the schedule gets hairy again.. lets see how our great D does vs quality people.. dont measure them by the cupcakes they beay measure them by how they perform vs big time teams.

Trade for draft picks:
(This is tough to say but here’s my list of players to trade that will get us some good spots)
Zack Thomas – He’s getting hurt a lot lately, and he’s not big enough to really flatten people (ex. Lewis & Spikes). He’s also not a good pass rusher.
Jason Taylor – Good one year, bad the next 2 years. He’s a contract player! He’s just manhandled too much (Size maybe?) Maybe he’ll be a better linebacker.
Sam Madison – I’m tried of hearing how good the CBs are, and then seeing Madison beaten by a receiver that just scored a touchdown. (Could be mainly because QB has all the time in the world)

Three guys that make a difference on this team every year. And your assesment of Jason Taylor is COMPLETELY wrong. He didnt have ONE good year.. he's been to the pro-bowl 2 years in a row and he actually is doing very well this year... he may not have all the sacks he did last year but its not all about that. Its about being able to stop the run, bat down balls, cause fumbles, hurry the qb and open it up for the other DE to make sacks (ALL has been accomplished). We have a strong defense and i think they are just getting tired of doing so much work to go nowhere because of the offense. We need to KEEP our defense and severly build on our offense and we will have a great team. Getting rid of guys like Zach (the heart of our defense), Jason (a damn good player) and Madison (part two of the best corner duo in the league) is just plain stupid.

Re: Re: An Idea to Think About.

Originally posted by MissMeth

Three guys that make a difference on this team every year. And your assesment of Jason Taylor is COMPLETELY wrong. He didnt have ONE good year.. he's been to the pro-bowl 2 years in a row and he actually is doing very well this year...

Oh and lets not forget his apperance at the pro-bowl in 2000 when he went with Trace Armstrong as the #1 and #2 of sacks!

Madison would be a guy I'm in favor of letting go. Surtain and his knee are getting worrisome, but he's our best player on defense IMO.

I'd like to get picks as well, but guys who are Pro-bowlers are what you use picks to try and find. It's a risky prop to let them go for unproven guys who may turn out to be Jamar Fletcher.

First of all Hello, I've been reading all of your comments for a couple weeks now, and many of you seem to be real knowledgeable Dolphin fans.

So here is my first thread - (I may tick off a few of you. Just remember I am a loyal Dolphin Fan, and it's the team we love not any one player).

New HC next year: (given!)
(Offensive assistant from the Chiefs would be nice maybe) He can replace all assistant coaches.
Special Teams – No creativity, very boring & unproductive. Well that pretty much goes for the rest of the current coaching staff.
Defense – Needs a blitz package coach (maybe a Marvin Lewis, Bill Beleche (sp?) assistant)

Trade for draft picks:
(This is tough to say but here’s my list of players to trade that will get us some good spots)
Zack Thomas – He’s getting hurt a lot lately, and he’s not big enough to really flatten people (ex. Lewis & Spikes). He’s also not a good pass rusher.
Jason Taylor – Good one year, bad the next 2 years. He’s a contract player! He’s just manhandled too much (Size maybe?) Maybe he’ll be a better linebacker.
Sam Madison – I’m tried of hearing how good the CBs are, and then seeing Madison beaten by a receiver that just scored a touchdown. (Could be mainly because QB has all the time in the world)

Next Draft:
The top five picks should be in order QB, OL, LB, OL, WR (with the trades above and current seating) we should get 6-8 picks in the first 3 rounds.

I’m tried of hearing how good this team should be. The fact is they’re not! Select a base of core players (ex. Ricky, Surtain & etc.) rebuild majority with younger players and get a couple nice FA’s to lead. I’ll rather pay my Direct Ticket Bill to watch a younger team that grows into a Champion or best case “a surprise team that wins a championship†Than pay to watch a projected superbowl contender play like a bunch of confused cornholes. I’ve watched the current core develop into a good team but then they stalled. 6 years later and no improvement – looks like time for a change.

I’ve been a Devoted Dolphin Fan since 74 (you know a year after their last Championship) I have never even thought about jumping ship for another team, and I never will.

Welcome, Ken. First, I agree pretty much with what you're saying but i wouldn't draft a QB first. Reason is that we won't pick soon enough to get one that could almost start right away anyhow plus, it wouldn't make sense to get one behind this line just to have him killed. So i would go OL with the first two picks, then draft a groomer later. once past rnd 3, you basically pick the best athlete available at NEED postions. But trading some of the "premier" talent for picks?? You betcha, i would in a heartbeat! But for the sake of opening up another can of worms, i'm leaving Zack totally out of this. With that said, there are only 2 players on this team who, IMO, are untouchable.......... Ricky and Surtain. Otheres i would "petition" to keep are CC, Randy, O-gun and T-Buck. The latter 2 would have to be resigned and altho i've never been a big T-Buck fan, he could work well in our situation.
But eveyone else is expendable. I would trade players individually or packaged to gain as many early picks as possible. JT and Madison should each command #1s and hopefully, teams like bottom third are ideal in that the picks come sooner, of course. Others could be pakaged to gain 2nd rndrs and such, but simply trading for a bunch of 6th and 7th rndrs in not very smart, INO, cuz these late rnd picks usually wind up only as tackling dummies in camp anyway and wind up being cut. But all of this is assuming that we'll have a new hC next year that knows what to do with any picks gained. We damn sure don't need Wannstedt still here with a complement of "Jets picks" next April. We'd only wind up with 4 more Fletchers!!! :lol:

I CANT BELIEVE THIS BOARD WANTS TO GET RID OF JASON TAYLOR!! THIS IS JUST RIDICULOUS! maybe i can understand Sam Madison.. maybe i can understand a few other guys.. but Jason has a year thats not as great as the rest and your ready to discard the guy! Some dolfans make me sick.

Three guys that make a difference on this team every year. And your assesment of Jason Taylor is COMPLETELY wrong. He didnt have ONE good year.. he's been to the pro-bowl 2 years in a row and he actually is doing very well this year... he may not have all the sacks he did last year but its not all about that. Its about being able to stop the run, bat down balls, cause fumbles, hurry the qb and open it up for the other DE to make sacks (ALL has been accomplished). We have a strong defense and i think they are just getting tired of doing so much work to go nowhere because of the offense. We need to KEEP our defense and severly build on our offense and we will have a great team. Getting rid of guys like Zach (the heart of our defense), Jason (a damn good player) and Madison (part two of the best corner duo in the league) is just plain stupid.

i can understand your points and won't bring an argument. but it will be awfully hard to keep our D and severely build on O. With the D eating up so much cap space, and it'll be higher next yr., it will be hard to make enough "major" moves on O. ;)

Sorry but that's the problem. All of the the big stars on defense is taking up cap space. We can't get any offensive help unless we drop a couple defensive.

I really was using the 3 names I did to discuss this idea. Some of you got it, and the rest of you just got offended.

Back
Top Bottom