An indepth analysis of robert griffin iii | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

An indepth analysis of robert griffin iii

Has a strong armed QB, with a 6-1 TD-INT ratio, ever failed in the NFL?

Serious question.

I think datruth55 is SPOT ON with his questioning of that first video clip.

Robert Griffin had a pocket to work with on that throw. All he needed to do was stare the play side safety the way he wanted with his eyes, step up and throw the deep vertical to his receiver.

He didn't have three defenders blocking his passing lane. He had a perfect triangle read where either the inside post route was going to come wide open, or the 9 route was going to come wide open. Instead of sticking with the play, he executed the scramble drill and got lucky that the safety that bit on the inside post stopped reading the quarterback, and that the cover two corner didn't have the speed to recover backward and plaster his receiver.

This is a prime example of the kind of thing he got away with in the pros that I don't know that he'll get away with in the NFL. It's also a prime example of how he doesn't trust the pocket, doesn't see the field from the pocket, and likes to escape where he can get clearer vision and manipulate defenders with his legs rather than manipulate defenders with a true passer's tools.

I think datruth55 is SPOT ON with his questioning of that first video clip.

Robert Griffin had a pocket to work with on that throw. All he needed to do was stare the play side safety the way he wanted with his eyes, step up and throw the deep vertical to his receiver.

He didn't have three defenders blocking his passing lane. He had a perfect triangle read where either the inside post route was going to come wide open, or the 9 route was going to come wide open. Instead of sticking with the play, he executed the scramble drill and got lucky that the safety that bit on the inside post stopped reading the quarterback, and that the cover two corner didn't have the speed to recover backward and plaster his receiver.

This is a prime example of the kind of thing he got away with in the pros that I don't know that he'll get away with in the NFL. It's also a prime example of how he doesn't trust the pocket, doesn't see the field from the pocket, and likes to escape where he can get clearer vision and manipulate defenders with his legs rather than manipulate defenders with a true passer's tools.

rg3isntblind-1.png

Is that really what he should be stepping up in the pocket and throwing across from? Probably your best argument is he should have tried to hit that receiver running across the middle rather than going for the home run or dump it off to the guy right there.

Has a strong armed QB, with a 6-1 TD-INT ratio, ever failed in the NFL?

Serious question.

Well the jury is still out on Kevin Kolb (also coached by Art Briles) who had 30 TDs and 4 INTs his senior year.

Graham Harrell hasn't amounted to much in the NFL. He had 45 TDs and 9 INTs his senior year (that's only 5-to-1 but it's close).

I don't think Chase Clement from Rice was ever drafted he had 44 TDs and 7 INTs his senior year.

I don't know what Kellen Moore will do in the pros but in the last 3 years Moore has thrown 115 TDs and only 16 INTs (that's better than 7-to-1).

rg3isntblind-1.png

Is that really what he should be stepping up in the pocket and throwing across from? Probably your best argument is he should have tried to hit that receiver running across the middle rather than going for the home run or dump it off to the guy right there.

He's got to trust the pocket. Like I said the RT was pushing the DE passed him if he had stepped up, the Center had leverage on the DT, he could have easily stepped up to where the RB is and you can also see from this Kendall Wright (#2 on the right) already had his man beat streaking down the sideline.

He's got to trust the pocket. Like I said the RT was pushing the DE passed him if he had stepped up, the Center had leverage on the DT, he could have easily stepped up to where the RB is and you can also see from this Kendall Wright (#2 on the right) already had his man beat streaking down the sideline.

yep step up and as soon as you see what looks like the safety turn to cross with the crossing wr from that side let fly to kendall wright who's wide open on the streak...that looks like a very easy read to me...if the safety bites on the cross throw the vertical especially when you see how much wright had won on the outside

there's no reason to bail there...

I'll agree with the second part, looking at it again he could have gone down that route, but I still understand his reasoning. Then again it all depended on that back safety biting on the crossing wr, which he did for a bit instead of letting the help he had get him. Had he not it would have been much different. Though his mistrust of the pocket has nothing to do with his sight, but more likely that he doesn't trust the protection.

rg3isntblind-1.png

He needs to climb the pocket towards the LOS and then move laterally left or right.... if you trace his steps, it should form a "T" from the depth of his drop.

He'll learn that when he has to start taking snaps from under center. It may take a while. It's not a point of emphasis from a coaching standpoint if your taking 100% of your snaps from the shotgun.

You take away half the field when you bail early, or bail from a perfectly fine pocket. See Blaine Gabbert.

He needs to climb the pocket towards the LOS and then move laterally left or right.... if you trace his steps, it should form a "T" from the depth of his drop.

He'll learn that when he has to start taking snaps from under center. It may take a while. It's not a point of emphasis from a coaching standpoint if your taking 100% of your snaps from the shotgun.

You take away half the field when you bail early, or bail from a perfectly fine pocket. See Blaine Gabbert.

that play to me looks like a blown coverage on the safetys part...he's got help underneath on the crossing route from 3 different guys he's got to maintain depth on the deep vertical sideline route and also in case that crossing route would have been a deep post into the center of the field...instead he jumps the cross and leaves his cb on the outside beaten like a drum hung out to dry...had rg3 stayed in and delivered thats easy money...

thats the way i'm seeing it at least

Everyone reads it differently I suppose. I see a perfect opportunity to step up into the pocket, continue with your triangle read, and when the safety declares himself, hit the right guy with good timing and accuracy.

I don't personally see a busted coverage from the safety. Safety could have waited a split second longer to commit himself, but given the coverage alignment that inside post was a threat. It would have taken a pretty good throw from the pocket to hit the 9 route in the end zone...the kind of throw you need to be prepared to make if you're an NFL quarterback.

To me, if anyone screwed up it's probably the left corner back for peeking into the backfield too much. You have to know the responsibilities of everyone on the defense. On this particular play they have a spy assigned to Robert Griffin playing form a Mike position. It's his job to keep a lid on RG3's running. There's also an underneath zone cover guy who passed the inside post receiver to the safety. He's in much better position to chase down RG3 if he busts contain. There's no need for the left corner to be so obsessed with what's going on with RG3 in the backfield. He's got to stay in a position where he can plaster the perimeter 9 route to his side that ended up catching the touchdown.

Everyone reads it differently I suppose. I see a perfect opportunity to step up into the pocket, continue with your triangle read, and when the safety declares himself, hit the right guy with good timing and accuracy.

I don't personally see a busted coverage from the safety. Safety could have waited a split second longer to commit himself, but given the coverage alignment that inside post was a threat. It would have taken a pretty good throw from the pocket to hit the 9 route in the end zone...the kind of throw you need to be prepared to make if you're an NFL quarterback.

To me, if anyone screwed up it's probably the left corner back for peeking into the backfield too much. You have to know the responsibilities of everyone on the defense. On this particular play they have a spy assigned to Robert Griffin playing form a Mike position. It's his job to keep a lid on RG3's running. There's also an underneath zone cover guy who passed the inside post receiver to the safety. He's in much better position to chase down RG3 if he busts contain. There's no need for the left corner to be so obsessed with what's going on with RG3 in the backfield. He's got to stay in a position where he can plaster the perimeter 9 route to his side that ended up catching the touchdown.

yeah i can see what you're seeing also but to me if thats a post route that safety is beaten already by being that far up and flat...thats a bad angle imo to be in to try and defend a post...your gonna be trailing on the outside pretty much being that flat and thats exactly what you want on the play...the wr to win to the inside on the safety... to me if its a post griffens got a 2 way go there...and i definitely think that if you want to play qb in the pros ypu need to be able to hit that sideline vertical...unleash a rope out in front and its paydirt

that play to me looks like a blown coverage on the safetys part...he's got help underneath on the crossing route from 3 different guys he's got to maintain depth on the deep vertical sideline route and also in case that crossing route would have been a deep post into the center of the field...instead he jumps the cross and leaves his cb on the outside beaten like a drum hung out to dry...had rg3 stayed in and delivered thats easy money...

thats the way i'm seeing it at least

What I'm talking about has nothing to do with the coverage, it has to do with how a quarterback manipulates the pocket in order to be in position to continue with his progressions.

Griffin reads the safety and the opposite hash in Art Briles system. The safety on the opposite hash is in perfect position. He's right where he's supposed to be.

The linebacker has passed off the receiver to the safety once he exits his zone. The safety has to defend the hash first. The seams are where the defense is vulnerable.

The CB covering Wright shouldn't be playing outside leverage if he's expecting no help on the inside. Wrong technique and letting Wright get position on him is where it all went wrong to begin with... no matter what Griffin chose to do.

What I'm talking about has nothing to do with the coverage, it has to do with how a quarterback manipulates the pocket in order to be in position to continue with his progressions.

Griffin reads the safety and the opposite hash in Art Briles system. The safety on the opposite hash is in perfect position. He's right where he's supposed to be.

The linebacker has passed off the receiver to the safety once he exits his zone. The safety has to defend the hash first. The seams are where the defense is vulnerable.

The CB covering Wright shouldn't be playing outside leverage if he's expecting no help on the inside. Wrong technique and letting Wright get position on him is where it all went wrong to begin with... no matter what Griffin chose to do.

ok i understand that...but isn't it possible the cb is playing outside leverage cause he expects the safety on that side of the field to maintain depth on anything vertical or a post into the deep middle???

you can see what looks like a lb in all out sprint coming from the opposite side trying to get depth in the middle of the field...to me that safety should maintain depth

ok i understand that...but isn't it possible the cb is playing outside leverage cause he expects the safety on that side of the field to maintain depth on anything vertical or a post into the deep middle???

you can see what looks like a lb in all out sprint coming from the opposite side trying to get depth in the middle of the field...to me that safety should maintain depth

The linebacker is turning and running to defend the deep middle of the field right between the hashmarks. It's a Cover-3.

The weakness of a Cover-3 is 4 verticals... that's how you attack it. It's a Run-and-Shoot concept.

It stresses the seams of a defense, which is where it's most vulnerable. It forces the safeties to commit, and they have to defend the hash mark first.

Art Briles has been running this offense for decades. His quarterbacks aren't putting up all those numbers because of blown coverages. He knows how to attack defenses.

They're easy reads for the quarterback. I've seen it in high school football for decades.

Griffin reads the safety to the opposite hash first and watches for rotation. There was no rotation here by the safeties, therefore he knew the safety to Wright's side had to commit to the hash mark first and foremost. Briles has drilled this into Griffin all along.

The linebacker is turning and running to defend the deep middle of the field right between the hashmarks. It's a Cover-3.

The weakness of a Cover-3 is 4 verticals... that's how you attack it. It's a Run-and-Shoot concept.

It stresses the seams of a defense, which is where it's most vulnerable. It forces the safeties to commit, and they have to defend the hash mark first.

Art Briles has been running this offense for decades. His quarterbacks aren't putting up all those numbers because of blown coverages. He knows how to attack defenses.

They're easy reads for the quarterback. I've seen it in high school football for decades.

Griffin reads the safety to the opposite hash first and watches for rotation. There was no rotation here by the safeties, therefore he knew the safety to Wright's side had to commit to the hash mark first and foremost. Briles has drilled this into Griffin all along.

ahh...ok...i got ya...thanks for the explanation

Back
Top Bottom