An indepth analysis of robert griffin iii | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

An indepth analysis of robert griffin iii

So are you saying Brees is throwing passes blind? Brees stands tall in the pocket, he also has an over the top delivery which helps him a lot. I don't know what the number of batted balls are for Brees but I do know guys like Kyle Orton (6'4") and Rex Grossman (6'1") have a high number of batted balls because they don't have quick releases and they don't have a high release point.

no, i'm not saying he's throwing passes blind. he sees where defenders are as well. but he knows where his guys are and trusts them

So are you saying Brees is throwing passes blind? Brees stands tall in the pocket, he also has an over the top delivery which helps him a lot. I don't know what the number of batted balls are for Brees but I do know guys like Kyle Orton (6'4") and Rex Grossman (6'1") have a high number of batted balls because they don't have quick releases and they don't have a high release point.

I personally think that having balls batted down usually has more to do with feet and paying attention to your passing lanes than anything. If you're 6'5" and have an over the top delivery then you're probably going to reduce the number of batted balls just by virtue of those facts. But how many guys have that going for them? The primary source of variation in the number of batted balls is, in my opnion, how cognizant you are of your passing lanes and how quickly you use your feet to manipulate them.

There's a correlation between height and tendency to get balls batted at the line...but not a strong one. Only about 20%.

I personally think that having balls batted down usually has more to do with feet and paying attention to your passing lanes than anything. If you're 6'5" and have an over the top delivery then you're probably going to reduce the number of batted balls just by virtue of those facts. But how many guys have that going for them? The primary source of variation in the number of batted balls is, in my opnion, how cognizant you are of your passing lanes and how quickly you use your feet to manipulate them.

There's a correlation between height and tendency to get balls batted at the line...but not a strong one. Only about 20%.

Are you saying QB height is positively correlated with getting less balls batted down? Makes sense, but where does 20% come from? Just curious what data you're looking at...

Bottom line is, that only works IF you don't believe me about him not seeing the field through clutter. That's the straw that breaks the camel's back. He can even overcome the mechanical issues, the offensive style issues, even the tendency to want to bail on good pockets, if he's truly seeing the field from inside the pocket and through clutter. But if he's not, then it's not going to work.

How does Barkley overcome this problem? There are knocks about his height as well. What does he do differently that separates himself from RGIII in this regard? Or is it that he is just taller even though they are listed at the same height?

OR, is it even a height issue and more about not making proper reads?

Nevermind. I just saw this was asked and answered.

Are you saying QB height is positively correlated with getting less balls batted down? Makes sense, but where does 20% come from? Just curious what data you're looking at...

I compiled the data myself. The correlation between height and balls batted down is about 20%. Or rather, -20%.

Back
Top Bottom