Analizing the personalities of the Top 4 QB prospects | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Analizing the personalities of the Top 4 QB prospects

MrChadRico

Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
Due to the fact weve needed a QB for going on 20 years, I, just like most of you have probably researched the top QBs of each draft going back to the year 2000. What I always find fascinating are the personalities of the QB prospects comming out of college. How does someone's interviews and overall maturity reflect on camera and with the media and how do those attitudes translate to NFL success. From Johnny Manzel's arrogant antics to Andrew Lucks "ah shucks" humble attitude. Then there are guys in the middle who have a quite confidence like Russell Wilson, so how do these 2020 QBs personalites stack up? Let's discuss in this thread.

If you havnt seen the top 4 QBs get interviewed yet, you should go watch some of them because we have a very interesting group.

These are my observations, right or wrong, just my honest first take opinion on the personalities of these QBs. Feel free to make similar posts with your opinions bc like I said I find this topic fascinating.

Tua - Tua has a real maturity about him. He just comes off as a solid guy who you would want in your corner. Hes not arrogant but he just holds a confident aura around him. Hes likable and probably is comfortable in all social settings. He would be a natural leader in the NFL. I could see a future career in Media after his NFL days are over. In my opinion a 10 out of 10 on my weird personality scale for franchise QBs.

Herbert - Very relaxed and cool cat. Not going to get him riled up easily. Comes off as a hard worker who likes to be part of the system and not the face of the franchise. Seems very likable but not very assertive. Might not have the greatest leadership traits, can be kind of passive. Very nice person, kinda quite, not someone you will see out partying with the team on Mondays. Takes his job very very seriously. Leadership qualities 8 out of 10.

Jordan Love - Seems very solid, not too arrogant and has confidence in his abilities. Hes not the guy that's gonna tell you how talented he is, hell let his on field work prove the point. Seems very likable and with his flashy play style, players will love to play with him. Seems a bit surprised hes going to the NFL, comes off like a guy who's "just glad to be here" and might be shy a bit of the big stage. Kinda of a mommas boy. Harder to get a solid read on him as he hasnt had as much press as the other 3. Leadership Qualities 8.5 out of 10.

Joe Burrow -............ I have to say, no QB prospect has reminded me as much of Ryan Leaf as Joe Burrow. The guy comes off very arrogant, hes confident, but the arrogance is the overriding thing you take away from watching him speak. His team will follow him, as long as hes playing well. I could see his attitude rubbing teammates the wrong way during tough stretches of the season. Not the ideal personality for an NFL QB. Self arrogance on the very high level. Might have all the skills but hes more arrogant than Aaron Rodgers is and the kid hasnt taken a snap in the NFL. My weird personality score for Burrow. 5 out of 10 subpar.

What do you guys think of these guys? Did you have different views of them?

Due to the fact weve needed a QB for going on 20 years, I, just like most of you have probably researched the top QBs of each draft going back to the year 2000. What I always find fascinating are the personalities of the QB prospects comming out of college. How does someone's interviews and overall maturity reflect on camera and with the media and how do those attitudes translate to NFL success. From Johnny Manzel's arrogant antics to Andrew Lucks "ah shucks" humble attitude. Then there are guys in the middle who have a quite confidence like Russell Wilson, so how do these 2020 QBs personalites stack up? Let's discuss in this thread.

If you havnt seen the top 4 QBs get interviewed yet, you should go watch some of them because we have a very interesting group.

These are my observations, right or wrong, just my honest first take opinion on the personalities of these QBs. Feel free to make similar posts with your opinions bc like I said I find this topic fascinating.

Tua - Tua has a real maturity about him. He just comes off as a solid guy who you would want in your corner. Hes not arrogant but he just holds a confident aura around him. Hes likable and probably is comfortable in all social settings. He would be a natural leader in the NFL. I could see a future career in Media after his NFL days are over. In my opinion a 10 out of 10 on my weird personality scale for franchise QBs.

Herbert - Very relaxed and cool cat. Not going to get him riled up easily. Comes off as a hard worker who likes to be part of the system and not the face of the franchise. Seems very likable but not very assertive. Might not have the greatest leadership traits, can be kind of passive. Very nice person, kinda quite, not someone you will see out partying with the team on Mondays. Takes his job very very seriously. Leadership qualities 8 out of 10.

Jordan Love - Seems very solid, not too arrogant and has confidence in his abilities. Hes not the guy that's gonna tell you how talented he is, hell let his on field work prove the point. Seems very likable and with his flashy play style, players will love to play with him. Seems a bit surprised hes going to the NFL, comes off like a guy who's "just glad to be here" and might be shy a bit of the big stage. Kinda of a mommas boy. Harder to get a solid read on him as he hasnt had as much press as the other 3. Leadership Qualities 8.5 out of 10.

Joe Burrow -............ I have to say, no QB prospect has reminded me as much of Ryan Leaf as Joe Burrow. The guy comes off very arrogant, hes confident, but the arrogance is the overriding thing you take away from watching him speak. His team will follow him, as long as hes playing well. I could see his attitude rubbing teammates the wrong way during tough stretches of the season. Not the ideal personality for an NFL QB. Self arrogance on the very high level. Might have all the skills but hes more arrogant than Aaron Rodgers is and the kid hasnt taken a snap in the NFL. My weird personality score for Burrow. 5 out of 10 subpar.

What do you guys think of these guys? Did you have different views of them?

I don't much care about personality as long as it's not poisonous. Every team already has all those personalities on it, so one more won't be a culture shock.

Personality make affect a team's rank of a player, but I doubt it will be a deal killer

For the most part I agree with your assessments here. But I have to say I don’t think the Burrow/Leaf comparisons are completely accurate. Yes, Burrow is ****y and he plays ****y, but what did Leaf in was a complete and utter lack of accountability. When things started to go wrong he yelled at his coaches and teammates, stormed out of meetings, and essentially acted like a child throwing a tantrum. While I can’t speak to whether or not Burrow would do this, we have seen times this past season when he’s been faced with adversity. Being down against Alabama. Being 2 scores down against a good Florida defense. Being down 2 scores in the national title game against a defense that made an argument for both most talented and best coached. He didn’t seem to waiver in any of those situations and he found ways to get his offense back on track and eventually take over the game. I know it’s ancient history (so there are probably things I’m forgetting), but I don’t remember Leaf carrying Washington State to any memorable come from behind wins after the team took a shot to the chin. ****iness on the field isn’t necessarily the detriment it may be made out to be for a QB as long as they can back it up and they maintain a sense of accountability.

there is a major smugness about Burrow that you could just see a lot of people wanting to punch him in the face. The major issue with those types of personalities are, when things start going bad...because you play for the Bengals...and they will. Are you still going to be able to lead thru adversity on the field. The only thing is, even before getting drafted i think Leaf made a comment about not giving a **** just wanting that contract, its kind of a good thing they added in the rookie scale

Not sure where you got the info to come to these conclusions …. but if they are semi-accurate then 3 of the 4 seem to be ready for the next step … thanks for the time and effort as these qualities may not rear their head during the game they can certainly have an affect on a team.

Tua reminds me so much like Russell Wilson. Such a calm leader and presence and an excellent QB.

Herbert is a quiet kid, can't question his leadership because he's not public with it.

Burrow is a very confident player. He better hope he's elite day one or an OL is gonna suplex his ass.

I will say this though, alot of it is how the personality of the eye of the beerholder is. My best friend in the company and myself have always had differing views of QB's. He LOVED qb's like Manziel and Mayfield, where as im more along the lines of do you're job type players that i favor. We've seen that its hard to have a robot as a QB when it comes time to be a leader, but at the same time i really feel that too extreme of an entitled douche is just as bad. The douche is going to lead you thru some super highs, but also some super lows that might tear a team apart. the robot is just going to do his job and go home, not really rallying anyone around him either way

My biggest concern with Herbert is his alleged extremely reserved introverted personality. His passion outside of football is his major, biology and he comes from a family of biologists, going back to his grandfather. If we are looking for a dominant vocal leader in the locker room who will excel in the media, he's probably not your guy. However, he's probably not going to get into trouble off the field. But what really counts is his play as a QB and he has a big arm.

Tua reminds me so much like Russell Wilson. Such a calm leader and presence and an excellent QB.

Herbert is a quiet kid, can't question his leadership because he's not public with it.

Burrow is a very confident player. He better hope he's elite day one or an OL is gonna suplex his ***.
how come you don't mention Jalen Hurts?

My biggest concern with Herbert is his alleged extremely reserved introverted personality. His passion outside of football is his major, biology and he comes from a family of biologists, going back to his grandfather. If we are looking for a dominant vocal leader in the locker room who will excel in the media, he's probably not your guy. However, he's probably not going to get into trouble off the field. But what really counts is his play as a QB and he has a big arm.
yeah but if we need to look up stuff under a microscope he can serve both jobs

there is a major smugness about Burrow that you could just see a lot of people wanting to punch him in the face. The major issue with those types of personalities are, when things start going bad...because you play for the Bengals...and they will. Are you still going to be able to lead thru adversity on the field. The only thing is, even before getting drafted i think Leaf made a comment about not giving a **** just wanting that contract, its kind of a good thing they added in the rookie scale

Wasn’t Marino very smug like this coming out of college? He never had to struggle because he came into a great situation. Would have been interesting to see how his career would have gone had he been selected by the Buccaneers or someone.

Burrow doesn't remind me of Leaf at all. Leaf was very immature coming out of Washington State. He was also jerk. Burrow has confidence, but doesn't carry himself like Leaf did. I have long said that Leaf was a bust from the neck up only. Physically, he had all the tools you could want. I still believe a more mature Leaf would have had a good, if not great NFL career. Maturity is a big deal and the aforementioned QB's should all be fine that way.

Sounds like a Tannehill clone.

Back
Top Bottom