Andrew Luck & Brandon Marshall wouldn't get along anyway. Serious personality clash.. | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Andrew Luck & Brandon Marshall wouldn't get along anyway. Serious personality clash..

If this team starts winning Brandon Marshall will be just fine. If they don't he will be a cancer. That is the nature of having a guy like Marshall on the team.
Problem is, to win consistently, you need a quarterback who's a player and a leader, and Brandon Marshall's very presence may get in the way of the development of that.

Also it's helpful to consider that he is known to be an above average b-ball player. Alpha basketball players ALWAYS demand the ball. But in basketball, it's not taboo at all for the alpha to do so, as it is in football. That's going to be a part of his personality make-up as well.

Problem is, to win consistently, you need a quarterback who's a player and a leader, and Brandon Marshall's very presence may get in the way of the development of that.

It shouldn't though. A good coach will make sure things don't get that bad. A good QB will say F that guy I am throwing to whoever is open regardless if it pisses him off.

No, I'm actually fully processing the miniscule one you're proposing, as well, and discounting it completely in comparison to the breadth and depth of a person's personality.

No no, b/c you are home on a Friday night, you'd rather indulge in a pissing contest. Let us not confuse intellectual discussion with pee-pee jousting.

go ahead with the one-upsmanship...i know u can not resist

Also it's helpful to consider that he is known to be an above average b-ball player. Alpha basketball players ALWAYS demand the ball. But in basketball, it's not taboo at all for the alpha to do so, as it is in football. That's part of his personality as well.
I don't think that's helpful to know at all. I think if someone has Borderline Personality Disorder, the range of explanations for their behavior that provides is fairly encompassing.

---------- Post added at 09:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:05 PM ----------

No no, b/c you are home on a Friday night, you'd rather indulge in a pissing contest. Let us not confuse intellectual discussion with pee-pee jousting.
I don't think I'm confusing anything.

Brandon Marshall will like any QB that wins lots of games. No question. If by chance he has problems then he can get lost. He is way over paid anyways

Seriously original poster....you making way to much out of absolutely nothing

It shouldn't though. A good coach will make sure things don't get that bad. A good QB will say F that guy I am throwing to whoever is open regardless if it pisses him off.
It has to be a coach who's fully supported by the owner, however. This public undermining of the head coach would never provide the support needed to fend off a Brandon Marshall in the face of the effort to develop the play and leadership of a young QB.

Part of the "diva-quieting" recipe in New England is Belichick, but obviously his standing there is much different from Sparano's here.

I don't think that's helpful to know at all. I think if someone has Borderline Personality Disorder, the range of explanations for their behavior that provides is fairly encompassing.

---------- Post added at 09:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:05 PM ----------

I don't think I'm confusing anything.

It actually is very helpful (the b-ball mentality that is a part of Marshall). And you can not separate that from this type of athlete. Great players in that context do and will demand the ball. But when you play b-ball for years and years (and we are talking upbringing), that is what you will do when you are good on the court..."give me the ball."

What the media does, is it takes that out of context and spins a negative on it. Conversely on the court, as a teammate, that can be a very good thing- particularly when your teammates need a lot of help (the cavalry has arrived). He's not saying, "i'm selfish, give me the damn ball." the context of the b-ball mentality is "I will help raise us up to victory, I'll be your hero. I'll man up, give it my all, and help us win this game."

That is what he's been saying lately, in his own way.

It actually is very helpful. And you can not separate that from this type of athelete.
Again, all that pales in comparison to Borderline Personality Disorder in my opinion.

Take a group of 30 people with Borderline Personality Disorder who are all the same with regard to the variables you've mentioned (UCF, basketball, etc.), and they will be VASTLY different from another group of 30 people with normal personalities but who are also all the same as the first group with regard to the variables you mentioned (UCF, basketball, etc.).

The main way the latter group would be different is that they would be flexible enough personality-wise to be willing and able to rein themselves in for the good of their team. They wouldn't rigidly exhibit their personality flaws regardless of the situation, as Marshall does, which is the sine qua non of a personality disorder.

Again, all that pales in comparison to Borderline Personality Disorder in my opinion.

Take a group of 30 people with Borderline Personality Disorder who are all the same with regard to the variables you've mentioned (UCF, basketball, etc.), and they will be VASTLY different from another group of 30 people with normal personalities but who are also all the same as the first group with regard to the variables you mentioned (UCF, basketball, etc.).

The main way the latter group would be different is that they would be flexible enough personality-wise to be willing and able to rein themselves in for the good of their team. They wouldn't rigidly exhibit their personality flaws regardless of the situation, as Marshall does, which is the sine qua non of a personality disorder.

Couldn't disagree more.

The flaw in your assumption, IMO, is that you are still attributing what he is saying, to the media, is the result of BPD- thus what he said was flawed as a result(which is not entirely black or white in value). It's comparable to Eugenics. You see him as flawed genetically, so everything he is saying to the media is flawed. At which point it doesn't matter what he says and thus should be discarded because he is flawed genetically.

But it is important to look at him fairly from an athletic psychology standpoint, where one can objectively interpret what he is saying to the media relates to the "alpha athlete mentality" as I mentioned- which strongly correlates to his athletic success and mindset formed in his upbringing (both b-ball and football combined). Or should we deem that extroverted athletic confidence (from scoring points and playing well) is a symptom of BPD then?

Furthermore, depending on which way you value what he says, it can (by other sides of the fence- from a teammate's perspective) be viewed as a positive message of "rescue the team." If so, how is that a flawed message to a team that needs a rescue?

Andrew Luck = humble, stable, team-oriented professional.

Brandon Marshall = emotionally unstable diva-receiver.

I think it would be a serious culture clash.

That's just silly. You're not matchmaking on a dating site here. They're not going to get married, have children together, live together and sleep every night together. They're going to play football as men on the same team.

There are many personality clashes on the best of football teams. It doesn't really mean anything.

Seriously, this thread is just stupid.

Couldn't disagree more.

The flaw in your assumption, IMO, is that you are still attributing what he is saying to the media as the result of BPD, and that what he said was flawed (which is not entirely black or white in value). It's comparable to Eugenics. You see him as flawed genetically, so everything he is saying to the media is flawed. At which point it doesn't matter what he says and thus should be discarded because he is flawed genetically.

But it is important to look at him fairly from an athletic psychology standpoint, where one can objectively interpret what he is saying to the media relates to the "alpha athlete mentality" as I mentioned- which strongly correlates to his athletic success and mindset formed in his upbringing (both b-ball and football combined). Or should we deem that extroverted athletic confidence (from scoring points and playing well) is a symptom of BPD then? Furthermore, depending on which way you value what he says, it can (by other sides of the fence- from a teammate's perspective) be viewed as a positive message of "rescue the team." If so, how is that a flawed message to a team that needs a rescue?
I'm not sure where "what he is saying to the media" (your words) entered this discussion.

I'm talking about Brandon Marshall as a whole and why his personality would clash with Andrew Luck's, a la the topic of this thread.

I'm not sure where "what he is saying to the media" (your words) entered this discussion.

I'm talking about Brandon Marshall as a whole and why his personality would clash with Andrew Luck's, a la the topic of this thread.

i.e. what he shares with the media and how the media contextualizes it. Referring to the information the media has covered of him at this point and what we are judging his personality by.

also, it was suggested that marshall couldn't 'rein himself in' for the good of the team. how did he get along with henne? were they sitting next to each other, in the film sessions, having conversations about routes etc, working out their timing. recalling the media reported as so, and they were off to a good start before henne got injured. henne...a pretty humble and modest guy, not dissimilar to luck.

Back
Top Bottom