Anquan Boldin Makes the Pro Bowl | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Anquan Boldin Makes the Pro Bowl

You can argue that he made most of his catches because they were trailing but take into consideration also that the opposing D knew he was going to get the ball and he still did.

Originally posted by ChambersOwnz84
Oh, NOWWWWWWWW he has skills? Go back and read all of my threads in March-April where most of you called me crazy.

Thank you!! You and me both man. :clap: Everyone called us crazy and said "we have pressing needs at OLB", which we did but we couldve drafted Eddie Moore with our 2nd pick easily. Anquan was always one of my favorite WRs since his days at Pahokee and of course FSU. I had a feeling he was going to be an elite receiver someday. And now hes so close(another Pro Bowl should do). And we passed on him.:rolleyes:

Re: Re: Anquan Boldin Makes the Pro Bowl

Originally posted by PhinstiGator

Boldin would not have got any playing time with us. We did NOT even get enough passes to our #1 WR in Chambers.

We drafted Eddie Moore because you need a top pick to be able to step in right away. Moore would have got plenty of playing time immediately if he had not met the Marlins infield dirt.

We did, however, draft the poor mans Boldin in JR Tolver. Here is why we did not give Tolver a shot...

Our system is too complicated to have a rookie step in. Tolver did have experience in a similar system. But, Thompson had more NFL experience in this system.

TOLVER should get a shot at the #2 or #3 spot next year with another spring training...and working with the QB's gaining confidence in the system...whatever it is.

So does that mean that Arizona's offense isn't complicated?? What Chambers described sounds like what every receiver must do in every offense. I agree that rookie receivers rarely make a significant impact. And even when they do, it's usually as a 3rd or 4th guy running simple go or comeback routes that don't require much beyond simply running the route.

But sometimes guys "get it" right off the bat.

I'm absolutely using hinesight. ;) At the time, I defended the pick because we did need LB. And I'm more of the "wait-and-see" type as opposed to just lynching someone. And Derrius Thompson was supposed to be "that guy". Along with Tolver, we looked to be ok.

But the fact that we had Boldin on the phone and were debating between he and Moore means we were on the fence.

Now Thompson has busted and Tolver never got a chance. And Boldin turned out to be a Pro Bowler.

So......:cry:

Muck, remember the "route tree". Ours would have allowed for alot of run and catch opportunities for Bolden.

I don't think he would have those gaudy numbers though.

After passing on Randy Moss, this is the most glaring draft miss of the last ten years, IMO.

Re: Re: Re: Anquan Boldin Makes the Pro Bowl

Originally posted by Muck
...So does that mean that Arizona's offense isn't complicated?? What Chambers described sounds like what every receiver must do in every offense. I agree that rookie receivers rarely make a significant impact. And even when they do, it's usually as a 3rd or 4th guy running simple go or comeback routes that don't require much beyond simply running the route. ...

I can't comment on Arizona's offense. They drafted Boldin high and they needed him. It worked.

Our passing game does rely more on TIMING. The QB must have the confidence that the WR will be there. A little hesitation caused by inexperience would mean an INT. This is the same system that took Michael Irvin a couple of years to produce. The same system that sat Jimmy Smith on the bench.

It appears that the decision up front was to go with experience and allow the young player to develop. Even when we promoted Newson he was limited to a handful of routes...mostly deep stuff.

Thompson has some good qualities. He has had a couple of costly drops. He does seem to time his jump too early and not get the ball at it's highest point. But, in all honesty...he has not had alot of opportunities.

The thing that continues to be disturbing about our passing game is that Chambers should have an opportunity to make at least 7 catches per game. The #1 guy is what makes this system click. Once you consistantly get the ball to Chambers...then you can start hitting McMichael over the middle and get some good matchups with the other receiver.

Losing Fiedler to injury did put a damper on things. Griese never really clicked with Chambers. His main targets were McMichael and McKnight.

However, my main point is that in this offense...the top three receivers by design are the #1 WR, TE, & RB. The #2 WR is an opportunistic guy that can go down the sideline or make the 3rd down catch to move the chains. In fact, in a run first attack like ours...he needs to be a good downfield blocker.

That being said...I would love to have another top notch receiver to mirror Chambers. I am thinking Michael Clayton right now.

Re: Re: Anquan Boldin Makes the Pro Bowl

TOLVER should get a shot at the #2 or #3 spot next year with another spring training...

No, Miami SHOULD draft a receiver high and sign a veteran. If he's good enough, he'll play. Right now I see him as the #4 next year.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Anquan Boldin Makes the Pro Bowl

That being said...I would love to have another top notch receiver to mirror Chambers. I am thinking Michael Clayton right now.

Clayton is my guy right now. I'll be interested in seeing how he does at the combine, but he should be a top 25 pick regardless. If we have 2 1st-round picks, I'd love to get Michael Clayton and J.P. Losman, especially if we can sign a couple of solid offensive linemen. Rashaun Woods should go before we pick(projecting both of our picks are below #18), but there is a chance that Clayton leaps him. If so, Woods would be the guy. I also like Lee Evans a lot. The Badger Express(Chambers/Evans) would be interesting. :D

I'm a florida state fan and I watched this guy for years, I didn't know he was gonna makethis impact in the nfl, you have to gamble sometime in this league.

Back
Top Bottom