Antonio Callaway: Can he be a piece to the WR puzzle? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Antonio Callaway: Can he be a piece to the WR puzzle?

If he gets his act together—and maybe a coach like Flores can mentor him—he can be a factor. He truly has the physical ability of a first round receiver. If he commits himself to his craft he can play well.

The receiver room could use a guy with the skill set he possesses.

Certainly would be in less trouble if he was a new player coming into the league now day's.

Facing a lifetime ban if he is caught again.

I personal believe the NFL should of only ever concerned itself with PED's

Certainly would be in less trouble if he was a new player coming into the league now day's.

Facing a lifetime ban if he is caught again.

I personal believe the NFL should of only ever concerned itself with PED's
I agree 100%.

Yes, I know it is "illegal", but so is cheating on your taxes. I don't see the NFL handing out suspensions for that.

What is it with Browns WRs???

Callaway had these issues long before Cleveland. He was the best freshman in the country early that first season with the Gators. Not the speed of a Wes Chandler but otherwise similar fluidity and elusiveness, both as receiver and kick returner. It looked like it would be three seasons then first round pick.

Once he was draft eligible it was the typical story that he's getting his life together and his agent and mentors can't believe how dedicated he is and how much progress he had made...yada yada. So it becomes a compromise draft position well below his ability level but well above his off the field level.

I'm not as much of a sucker for that anymore. The way I look at it is...if we saw and heard these guys every hour of every day the jerk qualities would be the standout aspect, not the ability level. You wouldn't want any part of them. But since everything is distant and vague there's convenient denial toward how legitimately stupid and despicable many of these guys really are.

Wide receiver now reminds me somewhat of offensive line over the past decade or so. The Dolphins can't seem to fill that Duriel Harris or Mark Clayton role so they are revolving door swings at troubled types like Callaway and Merritt.

Good points, Awsi. I say it every draft season but fans are heavily handicapped in player evaluation because we simply don’t have the ability to talk and listen to the player, or to hear what people around him at his school say. This is no small thing.

In our own real life experiences, we all do it in one form or another. I’ve been in positions where I’ve interviewed people. It’s critical. In football, you can discern so much about a prospect from discussions to which we simply don’t have access. Evaluating a player based on metrics such as speed or his play on the field is also critical but you’re missing out on so much.

Back
Top Bottom