Any word on your Salary Cap situation?? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Any word on your Salary Cap situation??

Salarycapguru

closet dolphin fan
Reaction score
Have you guys figured out the meaning of Salary Cap Hell yet?? Got a clue to what it means?? Trust me, you don't want to restructure Zach Thomas' deal.

Dude, you're about to get blasted by about 30 fin fans. It's like a pack mentality around here.

LMAO. Salarycapguru huh? I doubt it. My first clue? You say restructure Zach's deal when in fact we will be extending it. Its a world of difference. Nice try though. Maybe your facade will work over on a Bengals board......

Restructure, extend, rework. Use whatever word you want but if he moves money from this season to another and gets a bonus it all spells the same results. More Salary Cap pain.

Restructure and rework are one and the same. You are taking guaranteed money, and changing it into incentives, or signing bonus. By doing this, you lower that season's cap number, but move the rest of the hit to future years.

Extend is entirely different. In Zach's case, it is pretty much a new contract. We are not taking money this year and moving it back a few season. We are saving money by signing him to a new deal. Two very different scenarios. This would have been obvious for a real salary cap guru.......

If we were in salary cap jail, we would have to release our top players. We haven't lost any important players this offseason besides our backup TE.

Originally posted by Bazinet37
Restructure and rework are one and the same. You are taking guaranteed money, and changing it into incentives, or signing bonus. By doing this, you lower that season's cap number, but move the rest of the hit to future years.

Extend is entirely different. In Zach's case, it is pretty much a new contract. We are not taking money this year and moving it back a few season. We are saving money by signing him to a new deal. Two very different scenarios. This would have been obvious for a real salary cap guru.......

Explain to me how you sign him to a "new deal" You cannot just rip up a contract. IF you rip up the old deal all of the prorated signing bonus money escalates to this year resulting in having to cut players. An extension is fine. However, if he gets the signing bonus money this year then a portion of that bonus goes into this years cap. Money you do not have.

Originally posted by iceblizzard69
If we were in salary cap jail, we would have to release our top players. We haven't lost any important players this offseason besides our backup TE.

I used the term Salary cap hell. Not jail. Hell is being unable to make major additions to your team or being able to resign your free agents (restricted or unrestricted). The Fins have not been able to add anybody of significance nor resign all of their players from last season. Although the players you have lost may not appear to be "significant" it all goes to the question of depth. Meanwhile, other teams in your division (NE and Buff) have had major upgrades at various positions and in a position to add more players. The Fins went 9-7 last season. Without upgrades how do they expect to go further this year?? Further, without a 1st round draft choice you don't have the ability to add a body for the future. Next season, with your back up against the wall, you may again be inactive in free agency and not be able to sign your own. Without depth who will be the replacements. That is salary cap hell.

Back
Top Bottom