Anybody else a still a little concerned with the right side of the OL? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Anybody else a still a little concerned with the right side of the OL?

There is no way the right side can be worse than last season. Anything at this point is an improvement, it be nice to find a long term solution to RT in Martin. I'd love to see Long/Martin Pro Bowl over and over again but even if that doesn't transpire the right side should be in better shape than it was last season.

I think if Martin is starting week one of THIS season, you will be begging they call up Columbo and get his washed up tail back in here. Martin is NOT going to be starting week one, not THIS year any way IMO. I'm not sure he will be starting next year this time.

---------- Post added at 10:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:27 AM ----------

if martins starting week 1 i hope they give him a lot of help by keeping in fasano whenever possible...i wouldn't be leaving him on no island

I have a feeling that if he is starting week one, some of the fans might WANT him on an island. They might kidnap his butt and take him to some island far far away.

Hicks/Martin will do fine. Both of those guys are upgrades physically over the players we had last year in those positions.
Martin will make rookie mistakes, and he might be over powered at times until he get stronger and gets used to playing RT, but he has great mobility and quickness...he will get better...as compared to Colombo who was stuck in molasses...with no upside or room for improvement.
Hicks is a solid player. Garner can play both RG/RT if either of them struggle.
I think we are much better this year.

The bottom line is that if we have 5 parts not working together, the line will struggle.
If all 5 parts are doing their jobs and working cohesively, the line will be very good.
I actually have concerns about Jake Long. I hope the injuries are behind him and the new blocking scheme will be easier on him.

ehhh...colombo was worse than martin...colombos legs were shot when he was here...couldn't move laterally or get knee bend...just a reach player unless you did him a favor and ran right into him...where he could lock out his arms...

martins gonna be on his back though a lot early imo...i can see him getting run over...especially if he lets these pass rushers on the edge get up a head of steam...i think he needs to initiate contact more...speed and strength issues imo...he can play a little high at times but he's athletic has nice knee bend abilities and solid feet...not sure i see high end left tackle feet though...also would like to see him initiate with a punch to get these edge rushers off balance and marginalize some of that speed and ability to get up under his pad level

Martin will be fine when the real hitting starts and start at right tackle.

.... and you know this because? Oh right, blind optimism.

The guy is raw at RT. He's going to need a year of better conditioning, muscling up, and learning the position.

Martin has good feet but he will get his azz whooped come Sundays, because he is soft like charmin.

Martin has good feet but he will you get his azz whooped come Sundays, because he is soft like charmin.

At least he is not Carey soft or Jerry soft. I would take my chances with him.

I'd like to know how all the experts in this thread already know he's a bust without playing a single game...hell a practice in full pads.

I'd like to know how all the experts in this thread already know he's a bust without playing a single game...hell a practice in full pads.

Nobody is saying he's a bust. But the guy needs a lot of work to adjust to the pro game and switching to the other side of the line.

126 PLAYERS in the 2012 combine had better bench press numbers
than Martin had at his pro day.(20 reps) Doesn't look like Martin spent
enough time in the weight room. He will with us but it may take a year or two
with our strength and conditioning coach to get Martin up to speed.

Advertised as a top-notch athlete, the First Team All-Pac 12 left tackle was timed at 5.33 seconds in his first attempt at the 40-yard dash. Worse, this attempt was aided by the wind. Martin came in at 5.43 seconds, according to scouts, on his second attempt against the wind. Perhaps more alarming was that the 6-5, 307-pound Martin lifted the bar only 20 times during the bench press and wasn't as fluid or explosive as expected.Martin was also just average in the vertical (30") and broad jump (8'8") - at least in comparison to how other highly regarded offensive tackles performed at the Combine.

I only hope he can show something this season

I'm waiting to hear news from training camp, when pads are on and Martin gets a few more practices in. The guy has barely even seen the field so far so I'm not concerned yet. If he's getting blown up by mid training camp, then I'd be concerned. Then there's also Murthas growth too.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

my bench numbers are better than atleast half the NFL, not just the combine so whats your point? I'd like to see the guy in pads before I call for people's heads on this one. If he doesn't start or get some decent playing time this season than I'll join you all in your "oh no they drafted another linemen" talk.

Martin will be fine when the real hitting starts and start at right tackle.

Ok.. I don't see the logic here. He is not fine when the |Fake| hitting started and he will be fine when the real hitting starts. He's a rookie after all and he will need time to develop as well even if he was drafted in the 2nd round.

Last edited by a moderator:
my bench numbers are better than atleast half the NFL, not just the combine so whats your point? I'd like to see the guy in pads before I call for people's heads on this one. If he doesn't start or get some decent playing time this season than I'll join you all in your "oh no they drafted another linemen" talk.

t rex arms???

I know a lot can happen from now and the start of the season (sign jake scott, martin gets stronger and develops fast) but as of right now I have some concerns with the right side of our offensive line. Jerry is overweight and has not looked good at all in OTA's. Jonathan Martin has been getting smoked by Wake and Vernnon and I've read some reports he looks week, but it will take time for him to get used to the right side and gain strength but I'm not so sure he starts right away. So that leaves us with Artis Hicks playing RG and Murtha playing RT. Unless something changes and Jerry starts to step up, Martin develops, or we sign Jake Scott, this is most likely what your offensive line is gonna look like:

LT-Long, LG-Icognito, C-Pouncy, RG-Hicks, RT-Murtha. So how do you guys feel about this?

Not really we have more and better options on the OL than we have had for a long time since Tony Sporano but what I am personally hoping for is better coaching along the OL because I know it is a minor opinion on here but we went through lots of players but had really one OL coach under Tony S regime so I believe a major part of the issue lies with the coaching.

t rex arms???

actually the opposite. The point is bench numbers don't mean all that much. My personal best is 40 but that's hard to maintain. I took a month off from being ridiculous in my training and my reps dropped to below 30. picked the pace back up and I'm hovering around 30-33 reps. I'm also 6'1" 260-270 lbs and 27 years old. When I was martins (younger) age I was the same height and 195 lbs reping like 20-25 on my 225 bench. Obviously I'm not an NFL player and I wanna see the guy in pads before I lable him a project or a bust.

warren sapp had pretty poor bench numbers coming out too...i'd wager he'd whoop me up on a football field, just saying.

Back
Top Bottom