Anybody else a still a little concerned with the right side of the OL? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Anybody else a still a little concerned with the right side of the OL?

I know a lot can happen from now and the start of the season (sign jake scott, martin gets stronger and develops fast) but as of right now I have some concerns with the right side of our offensive line. Jerry is overweight and has not looked good at all in OTA's. Jonathan Martin has been getting smoked by Wake and Vernnon and I've read some reports he looks week, but it will take time for him to get used to the right side and gain strength but I'm not so sure he starts right away. So that leaves us with Artis Hicks playing RG and Murtha playing RT. Unless something changes and Jerry starts to step up, Martin develops, or we sign Jake Scott, this is most likely what your offensive line is gonna look like:

LT-Long, LG-Icognito, C-Pouncy, RG-Hicks, RT-Murtha. So how do you guys feel about this?

I'm more concerned about the pirates in samolia!r

if martins starting week 1 i hope they give him a lot of help by keeping in fasano whenever possible...i wouldn't be leaving him on no island

makes me wish we had a RB that could block, otherwise its gonna be all 3 step drops

my bench numbers are better than atleast half the NFL, not just the combine so whats your point? I'd like to see the guy in pads before I call for people's heads on this one. If he doesn't start or get some decent playing time this season than I'll join you all in your "oh no they drafted another linemen" talk.

Calm down, no one is saying he is a bust, or that we shouldn't have drafted a OLman. All I am saying, (and it has NOTHING to do with the OTAs) was that he was not going to be up to speed, early in his rookie year. The OTAs didn't do anything to change my mind about where I had him projected. Once the pads go on it will obviously get worse not better. He will get up to speed and contribute some later in the year and by next year will be servicable IMO. Just don't expect to pencil him in on game one.

if martins starting week 1 i hope they give him a lot of help by keeping in fasano whenever possible...i wouldn't be leaving him on no island

Good idea but I thought we released Fasano because he can't seem to get over 40 catches a season. I'm sure that Egnew or Clay can step in and do a great job blocking. It is not like it is that hard or important......

:crazy:

actually the opposite. The point is bench numbers don't mean all that much. My personal best is 40 but that's hard to maintain. I took a month off from being ridiculous in my training and my reps dropped to below 30. picked the pace back up and I'm hovering around 30-33 reps. I'm also 6'1" 260-270 lbs and 27 years old. When I was martins (younger) age I was the same height and 195 lbs reping like 20-25 on my 225 bench. Obviously I'm not an NFL player and I wanna see the guy in pads before I lable him a project or a bust.

warren sapp had pretty poor bench numbers coming out too...i'd wager he'd whoop me up on a football field, just saying.

Richmond Webb had very low bench numbers. He was pretty good at blocking.

Good idea but I thought we released Fasano because he can't seem to get over 40 catches a season. I'm sure that Egnew or Clay can step in and do a great job blocking. It is not like it is that hard or important......

:crazy:

that's not what i said but if fasano is gonna be here and they don't feel that they can find a in line blocking te cheaper to do pretty much the same job i hope they keep him in to help out martin as much as possible...

LT-Long, LG-Icognito, C-Pouncy, RG-Hicks, RT-Murtha. So how do you guys feel about this?

Replace Hick's name with Jake Scott and I feel confident in our group.. I think Murtha's got some upside with his size and athleticism. Excited to see how he performs in preseason!

Why are so many people in love with Jake Scott? The guy clearly has something wrong with him, health wise, or else a dozen other teams would have signed him, ours included.

Seriously, players can fall off from injury. Not like we'd know anything about that, what having Vernon Carey go from stud to dud in a matter of 12 months. Give the Jake Scott crap a rest.

I saw a picture of Martin standing next to Richie and differance was very notiicable. He's listed at 6'5" 305 but looks a lot lighter. Martin needs to put on 10 - 15 pounds of muscle before he can line up with the big boys. Being beaten by Wake is no problem. Wake beats most tackles but Vernon is like 265 and a rookie. Martin should be able to hold his own in that battle. i think it's like the Tannehill situation. When he's ready physically and mentally and can beat out Murtha he will start. Until then pump them weights rookie and get used to the right side.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom