Anybody else concerned about our OC? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Anybody else concerned about our OC?

SWS84

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Anybody else concerned about McKinney?

I know it's just training camp folks, but I'm getting concerned about McKinney. Specifically, I have my doubts about McKinney having the size and strength to handle to the position. This guy is getting hammered at every practice from what we are hearing. Am I over-reacting here or do we need to make a move?

Note: Don't get me wrong, I have a lot of confidence in coach Houck (he has forgotten more than I will ever know when it comes to football), but if it is as bad as our camp reporters are suggesting then you have to wonder if and when he'll make the move.

Thoughts?

Steve

Yeah, it sounds like McKinney really is the "weakest link" right now. I wish we could bring somebody in to compete with him who might be an upgrade, but I don't know of anybody that's available. I'm sure if there were any qualified candidates out there, the Phins would have them in for an evaluation...

Maybe Houck can turn McKinney into a decent player. I guess that (or Wade Smith, gawd forbid) is our best hope.

WHOA...I thought you were talking about Linehan (OC) offensive coordinator.
But yeah, McKinney sux

BenchFiedler said:
WHOA...I thought you were talking about Linehan (OC) offensive coordinator.
But yeah, McKinney sux

Thanks! My question was poorly worded, but hopefully it makes more sense now.

Steve

I agree. McKinney has been the weakest link since he arrived. However, I think there are a couple of factors which may still pan out:

1. It's still early in Preseason and I have faith and hope in Houck.
  2. With a better core of Offenisve lineman, will benefit McKinney.
  3. With a better running game, McKinney will look better.
I think McKinney, if he doesn't improve, should be adequate for this year. Then we need to invest, trade or draft a quality center. I personally wouldn't mind seeing someone else (Wade Smith) have a chance.

I have said we need to get Sweat Hog out of there for a while now. He couldnt slow down the 350 lb Grandma on the All-Retirement home team. This guy is nothing more than a career backup.....Get him off the field, and geesh get his Arse a towel.

While the reports seem negative it is early in the year. He may develop, if not we can keep an eye on OL veterans released by other teams as the final roster cuts take place during the preseason. Teams that have a very solid line like KC and Denver may have to cut a very servicable player.

:idea: :up:

is it just me, or last year wasn't mckinney our best oline guy?

SWS84 said:
I know it's just training camp folks, but I'm getting concerned about McKinney. Specifically, I have my doubts about McKinney having the size and strength to handle to the position. This guy is getting hammered at every practice from what we are hearing. Am I over-reacting here or do we need to make a move?

Note: Don't get me wrong, I have a lot of confidence in coach Houck (he has forgotten more than I will ever know when it comes to football), but if it is as bad as our camp reporters are suggesting then you have to wonder if and when he'll make the move.

Thoughts?

Steve
McKinney was weakest link last season and still is in my book. The kid cant cut it.

is it just me, or last year wasn't mckinney our best oline guy?

no, McKinney was pretty bad last year as well. He was nominally better than Wade Smith or Taylor Whitley, but that isn't saying much. The only guys last year who played worth a shyite on the O-Line were John St. Clair, Rex Hadnot and Jeno James. St. Clair was merely adequate and Jeno James did not, IMO, live up to his reputation.

Hadnot was a pleasant surprise, once he moved past Whitley into the starting lineup.

St Claire was a really good college OC, I'd like to see him get a shot on our line there.

JAGFISH said:
St Claire was a really good college OC, I'd like to see him get a shot on our line there.

This argument has been made before, and the only thing I will say is that this is the 3rd coaching staff that he has had, and nobody has put him at C. There has to be a reason for it.

I asked Jason Cole about this on his Q&A Forum. He stated he's too athletic to waste at Center. Still if he's not starting at tackle I'd give him a shot at center.

Nicky Napoleon said:
This argument has been made before, and the only thing I will say is that this is the 3rd coaching staff that he has had, and nobody has put him at C. There has to be a reason for it.

What's the reason? No depth at that position? Center is hard to play but you can always get help, be it from the guard or a back in a double team...

Back
Top Bottom