Anybody else concerned about our OC? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Anybody else concerned about our OC?

SWS84 said:
I know it's just training camp folks, but I'm getting concerned about McKinney. Specifically, I have my doubts about McKinney having the size and strength to handle to the position. This guy is getting hammered at every practice from what we are hearing. Am I over-reacting here or do we need to make a move?

Note: Don't get me wrong, I have a lot of confidence in coach Houck (he has forgotten more than I will ever know when it comes to football), but if it is as bad as our camp reporters are suggesting then you have to wonder if and when he'll make the move.

Thoughts?

Steve

Maybe I am putting too much trust in Houck, but I think this guy will get the most of whatever player we have on the OL. I think McKinney will be a much better center because of the new coaching philosophy that Saban, Linehan and Houck have brought to this offense.

It's my single biggest worry on the team(Center).I really wanted us to draft a center or at least signed a FA Center.Still do,I have no faith in Seth"saloon doors" Mckinney.

Waterboy said:
What's the reason? No depth at that position? Center is hard to play but you can always get help, be it from the guard or a back in a double team...

I think the reason St. Clair hasn't been given a shot at playing center is that he is 6'5". Centers are typically the shortest guys in the trenches because tall centers are easier for a defensive tackle to get underneath and make it tougher for the QB to see the field.

SWS84 said:
I know it's just training camp folks, but I'm getting concerned about McKinney. Specifically, I have my doubts about McKinney having the size and strength to handle to the position. This guy is getting hammered at every practice from what we are hearing. Am I over-reacting here or do we need to make a move?

Note: Don't get me wrong, I have a lot of confidence in coach Houck (he has forgotten more than I will ever know when it comes to football), but if it is as bad as our camp reporters are suggesting then you have to wonder if and when he'll make the move.

Thoughts?

Steve

Aw come on give the guy a break . The hardest position on the line to learn is center position. And he has only really been at it one year. Look at how many years Ruddy stunk it up at center. He made a 10 yr career at mediocrity.

Aw come on give the guy a break . The hardest position on the line to learn is center position. And he has only really been at it one year. Look at how many years Ruddy stunk it up at center. He made a 10 yr career at mediocrity.

Ruddy stunk for 10 years? This is why he made the Pro Bowl, isn't it (it might have been as a replacement, but still ..)? :shakeno: That's why the Dolphins never tried to draft a center after they selected Ruddy before McKinney in 2002, isn't it? :shakeno: Does not look to me as if the coaches thought he was mediocre.

In his last years he was only average because he was getting older, but he was always rock solid for a lot of years.

We will see about McKinney, let's see what he does in full pads when the pre season starts.

helooooooooooo... you guys !!!!! We have a new O-line coach. Carey, McIntosh, McKinney, Smith, were all useless with Wise... But were willing to throw that all away because the houck has landed. McKinney is no diff than the other guys. Give him another shot.

ohall said:
Maybe I am putting too much trust in Houck, but I think this guy will get the most of whatever player we have on the OL. I think McKinney will be a much better center because of the new coaching philosophy that Saban, Linehan and Houck have brought to this offense.

I'm in the same boat as you, I have a lot of trust in Houck. There are a lot of good replies about why McKinney is still at center. After reading and thinking about it some, I think it comes down to technique. McKinney might not have the brute strength to hold the point right now, but maybe it is because his technique is off. Houck is probably working on that, but it will take time. As many have suggested, as we play our pre-season games and if McKinney continues to get pushed back into the QB, then we should see a change. I'm a little worried, but there is a reason Houck has him still there, and I trust him tons more than Tony Wise after seeing what he did to our OL.

Also, sorry about the misleading header. It was poorly worded on my part and I can't change it unless I get a mod involved. As for our real OC, Linehan I've got no complaints. As far as I can tell he's a bright guy who may do wonders with our offense. I can't wait until next Monday night when we can get a taste of things to come!

Steve

I was wondering, who was the center on the 2nd team in TC ? If Wade Smith is the center how is he doing?

Anyone who has watched McKinney the last few years should be concerned...He is soft and doesn't move well in confined space. What bothers me the most is that he doesn't seem to be any better now than when he was backing up Ruddy.

I was one of those who thought that he'd do fine once he was rid of Ruddy (who's time had come and gone, but Wise didn't know it). I thought McK would come in and kick butt, but it never seemed to happen...then, I mistakenly said it was because he had a hard time "calling the line plays"...but that wasn't it either...

That is definitely an area we need to address. I am now hoping that Wade Smith can develop as a center... The middle of this line was inconsistent last year, starting with McK. HH needs to work some extra magic to get the center spot squared away. I just no longer think that McK is the answer...

Lederhosen said:
Ruddy stunk for 10 years? This is why he made the Pro Bowl, isn't it (it might have been as a replacement, but still ..)? :shakeno: That's why the Dolphins never tried to draft a center after they selected Ruddy before McKinney in 2002, isn't it? :shakeno: Does not look to me as if the coaches thought he was mediocre.

In his last years he was only average because he was getting older, but he was always rock solid for a lot of years.

We will see about McKinney, let's see what he does in full pads when the pre season starts.
They drafted Grey Ruegamer in rnd 3, '99, with the hopes of replacing Ruddy. Also threw a huge offer at Olin Kreutz in '02, only to have him resign with Chi.
JJ wanted to draft Jeremy Newberry late in rnd 2 in '98 but SF nabbed him a few picks ahead of where JJ planned to take him, so JJ traded down and drafted a bunch of castoffs instead. One being center Nathan Strikwerda.
So, there was some effort made to upgrade the center spot before drafting Seth.

MrClean said:
They drafted Grey Ruegamer in rnd 3, '99, with the hopes of replacing Ruddy. Also threw a huge offer at Olin Kreutz in '02, only to have him resign with Chi.
JJ wanted to draft Jeremy Newberry late in rnd 2 in '98 but SF nabbed him a few picks ahead of where JJ planned to take him, so JJ traded down and drafted a bunch of castoffs instead. One being center Nathan Strikwerda.
So, there was some effort made to upgrade the center spot before drafting Seth.[/QUOTE I really wanted Kreutz from the Bears, was pi$$ed when he re-uped with da Bears.:mad:

Back
Top Bottom