Anybody know the status of......... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Anybody know the status of.........

Look secondary is deep on paper
X, Ramsey, Cam Smith, Kader then Needham, Trill and Crossen.
This is without Iggy who seems destined for being cut

I think coaches are much more likely to understand when it's just in preseason. They see the guys every day and actually know what they're looking for. A fan sees them make a few highlight plays in a preseason game and can be fooled into thinking someone is a lot better than they are.

Agree. Most fans only know what they read in twitter posts or media articles. They don't see players WITHOUT the ball (e.g., was he open, did he miss an assignment). They don't see players in drill and closed practice. Most of the focus is on those who 'flash.' Explains those 'surprise' cuts and the those surprising players who stick

Agree. Most fans only know what they read in twitter posts or media articles. They don't see players WITHOUT the ball (e.g., was he open, did he miss an assignment). They don't see players in drill and closed practice. Most of the focus is on those who 'flash.' Explains those 'surprise' cuts and the those surprising players who stick
A good example is EZ last year. Had some flash, athletically impressive plays in camp and preseason, but couldn't get on the field in the regular season.

Unless it is an established player, I take preseason play reports with a grain of salt.

When I evaluated Trill Williams, I based it on watching him play. I evaluated his ability to match WRs in coverage. I liked his ability to match speed and his recognition of routes. He showed good recognition in both man and zone. He was a 4.4 guy who showed that speed on film. He has great length and is a willing tackler. On the negatives, he isn't as sudden as you'd like. You often see that with taller CBs. His tackling can be inconsistent. I wouldn't say he's a poor tackler or anything, he just sometimes reacts slower and is sometimes caught trying to arm tackle. Overall, he's a an excellent boundary CB prospect. He was above Kohou prior to his injury for good reason, and I really liked Kohou.

The point is that my evaluation was based on something. It wasn't a blanket "he's great b/c he's a Dolphin" or "it doesn't matter b/c it's preseason" Those are statements based on nothing and both are equally stupid.

Trill has two things going for him. 1) He's a bigger/taller DB which Fangio appearently likes 2) He's versatile. Hopefully it makes him more valuable to Miami.

Trill has two things going for him. 1) He's a bigger/taller DB which Fangio appearently likes 2) He's versatile. Hopefully it makes him more valuable to Miami.
Going against him, however, is a lot of experienced, talented players ahead of him, and the fact that his health has not been such that you can call him dependable in any sense of the word.

If he clearly beats good players out, kudos. If it's close or even, I would expect we go with the proven player.

There's also the possibility that guys like Jones and Needham aren't ready day one, giving him a decent opportunity.

I truly hope his recovery is successful.

If it is, I think we can expect some good play from him - good enough to make this team, which will certainly take some doing!

It's very early and Trill is just coming back. Long way to go, we have a lot of talent in our defensive backfield. We'll see how it all shakes out. The level of competition is excellent.

It's very early and Trill is just coming back. Long way to go, we have a lot of talent in our defensive backfield. We'll see how it all shakes out. The level of competition is excellent.
If Trill gets a chance to pick the music in training camp, do you think he might use the William T(r)ell overture? - LOL

I liked what I was hearing about Trill, but yeah, he’s going to have to beat out 3-4 guys just to make the roster. He’d have an easier path as a safety than at CB.
Trill looks much bigger in his photos that were recently shown. He looks more like a LB than a DB. He's obviously bulked up.

Having all that DB talent to work with this year is a nice problem for the coaches to have right now as opposed to most of last year when we were starting special team-ers against NFL first team WR's.

Back
Top Bottom