Anyone believe the league is fixed? | Page 23 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Anyone believe the league is fixed?

League is fixed?

• Yes

Votes: 128 57.7%
  • No

Votes: 94 42.3%

• Total voters
Why oh why on God‘s green earth did the NFL fix it so the Dolphins lost the 1985 AFC title game to the Patriots? Miami V’s 15-1 Chicago in the SB when Chicago’s only loss was Miami, could not have been a better story and hype for the big game. Yet lose we did and the Bears routed pathetic NE. Where was the fix it guy then? You guys are too much, always looking for the excuses when we lose.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Sox_Scandal

Lets not pretend these things dont happen

Why oh why on God‘s green earth did the NFL fix it so the Dolphins lost the 1985 AFC title game to the Patriots? Miami V’s 15-1 Chicago in the SB when Chicago’s only loss was Miami, could not have been a better story and hype for the big game. Yet lose we did and the Bears routed pathetic NE. Where was the fix it guy then? You guys are too much, always looking for the excuses when we lose.
Ghosts of '72.

This league is nowhere close to the league we had in the 80's or even the 90's
Lots has changed my friend. And not all for the good.

No they can't.
Respectfully, you're...
Donald Trump GIF by Election 2016

CLAIM - While we call these leagues "sports," they are in fact businesses. Their business is entertainment.

The NFL, for one, has actually argued this fact before the Supreme Court as recently as 2010. Being "entertainment," the leagues are legally entitled to do what is needed to entertain their audience, such as the creation and promotion of certain "storylines."

Despite arguments to the contrary, this makes the NFL, MLB, NBA, and NHL on par with professional wrestling (WWE) as well as circuses, ballets, music acts and magicians.

No, they can't.

People dont gamble on wrestling.

Fixing events that people gamble on, is in fact, illegal.
I'm no lawyer, but I did stay a holiday in express last night.

CLAIM - There is no federal law preventing a league from fixing its own contest.

The two closest federal laws on the books are these:

The "Quiz Show" law which was passed after it was revealed that television networks in the 1950's had been fixing the outcome of nationally televised game shows including Twenty-One and the $64,000 Challenge. The law reads:

"(a) Influencing, prearranging, or predetermining outcome. It shall be unlawful for any person, with intent to deceive the listening or viewing public:

"(1) To supply to any contestant in a purportedly bona fide contest of intellectual knowledge or intellectual skill any special and secret assistance whereby the outcome of such contest will be in whole or in part prearranged or predetermined.

"(2) By means of persuasion, bribery, intimidation, or otherwise, to induce or cause any contestant in a purportedly bona fide contest of intellectual knowledge or intellectual skill to refrain in any manner from using or displaying his knowledge or skill in such contest, whereby the outcome thereof will be in whole or in part prearranged or predetermined.

"(3) To engage in any artifice or scheme for the purpose of prearranging or predetermining in whole or in part the outcome of a purportedly bona fide contest of intellectual knowledge, intellectual skill, or chance.

"(4) To produce or participate in the production for broadcasting of, to broadcast or participate in the broadcasting of, to offer to a licensee for broadcasting, or to sponsor, any radio program, knowing or having reasonable ground for believing that, in connection with a purportedly bona fide contest of intellectual knowledge, intellectual skill, or chance constituting any part of such program, any person has done or is going to do any act or thing referred to in paragraph (1), (2), or (3) of this subsection.

"(5) To conspire with any other person or persons to do any act or thing prohibited by paragraph (1), (2), (3), or (4) of this subsection, if one or more of such persons do any act to effect the object of such conspiracy."

Note the repeated use of the word "intellectual" -- not physical. Therefore, this law does not apply to sports.

The Sports Bribery Act of 1964 which was passed to protect the "integrity" of sports from mafia and gambling interests. It reads (in its entirety):

"Whoever carries into effect, attempts to carry into effect, or conspires with any other person to carry into effect any scheme in commerce to influence, in any way, by bribery any sporting contest, with knowledge that the purpose of such scheme is to influence by bribery that contest, shall be fined under this title, or imprisoned not more than 5 years, or both."

The key word in this law being "bribery." If a league instructs one of its employees -- be it an official, coach or athlete -- to influence and/or manipulate an outcome in a certain manner, such action does not break this law. (Neither does the Sports Bribery Act apply if a player or referee decides to shave points and/or fix a game on their own because, again, no actual "bribery" took place).

No one has been arrested for violating the Sports Bribery Act in relation to a NFL, NBA, MLB or NHL game -- ever.

CLAIM - There is no federal law preventing a league from fixing its own contest.

The "Quiz Show" law which was passed after it was revealed that television networks in the 1950's had been fixing the outcome of nationally televised game shows including Twenty-One and the $64,000 Challenge. The law reads:

"(a) Influencing, prearranging, or predetermining outcome. It shall be unlawful for any person, with intent to deceive the listening or viewing public:

"(1) To supply to any contestant in a purportedly bona fide contest of intellectual knowledge or intellectual skill any special and secret assistance whereby the outcome of such contest will be in whole or in part prearranged or predetermined.

"(2) By means of persuasion, bribery, intimidation, or otherwise, to induce or cause any contestant in a purportedly bona fide contest of intellectual knowledge or intellectual skill to refrain in any manner from using or displaying his knowledge or skill in such contest, whereby the outcome thereof will be in whole or in part prearranged or predetermined.

"(3) To engage in any artifice or scheme for the purpose of prearranging or predetermining in whole or in part the outcome of a purportedly bona fide contest of intellectual knowledge, intellectual skill, or chance.

"(4) To produce or participate in the production for broadcasting of, to broadcast or participate in the broadcasting of, to offer to a licensee for broadcasting, or to sponsor, any radio program, knowing or having reasonable ground for believing that, in connection with a purportedly bona fide contest of intellectual knowledge, intellectual skill, or chance constituting any part of such program, any person has done or is going to do any act or thing referred to in paragraph (1), (2), or (3) of this subsection.

"(5) To conspire with any other person or persons to do any act or thing prohibited by paragraph (1), (2), (3), or (4) of this subsection, if one or more of such persons do any act to effect the object of such conspiracy."

Note the repeated use of the word "intellectual" -- not physical. Therefore, this law does not apply to sports.

The Sports Bribery Act of 1964 which was passed to protect the "integrity" of sports from mafia and gambling interests. It reads (in its entirety):

"Whoever carries into effect, attempts to carry into effect, or conspires with any other person to carry into effect any scheme in commerce to influence, in any way, by bribery any sporting contest, with knowledge that the purpose of such scheme is to influence by bribery that contest, shall be fined under this title, or imprisoned not more than 5 years, or both."

The key word in this law being "bribery." If a league instructs one of its employees -- be it an official, coach or athlete -- to influence and/or manipulate an outcome in a certain manner, such action does not break this law. (Neither does the Sports Bribery Act apply if a player or referee decides to shave points and/or fix a game on their own because, again, no actual "bribery" took place).

No one has been arrested for violating the Sports Bribery Act in relation to a NFL, NBA, MLB or NHL game -- ever.

Correct. Courts have already pretty much declared you're not guaranteed
Or owed a fair outcome. Only entertainment

Just go back to the Saints/Rams debacle.

Hint hint..... people ask why the NFL won't hire refs as full time employees?

Correct. Courts have already pretty much declared you're not guaranteed
Or owed a fair outcome. Only entertainment

Just go back to the Saints/Rams debacle.

Hint hint..... people ask why the NFL won't hire refs as full time employees?
Steve Bannon Bingo GIF

I am, check out 18 USC 1961 et seq (Or rather, was.) (See also 18 USC 224)

It is also fraud.

The Quiz show example is distinguishable because it involves contestants of the show, not outside parties betting on the outcome.

Of course, if the NFL was accused of such behavior, there would need to be evidence. Whether the charges are ultimately provable is the next question, however nothing would prevent the DOJ from bringing the charges and conducting discovery which would make the NFL very uncomfortable, and likely provoke changes in its transparency going forward.

(Admittedly criminal law is not my forte, but I DID have a great deal of experience litigating against large multinational corporations.)

Last edited:
Why waste your time watching Wrestling? It's entertainment and a storyline. And you're watching the most elite athletes in the world do what they do best.

If you think that the NFL leaves its $150 BILLION cash cow to chance, then I've got ocean front proptery to sell you in AZ.
Dumb response
We know wrestling is fixed, you know it’s all bullshit going in

Football is not supposed to be fixed. We believe it has integrity. We are led to believe it’s real
That’s why we waste our time watching football

Attachments

• IMG_1098.jpeg
    IMG_1098.jpeg
    41.9 KB · Views: 0
It is definitely the most flawed sport in regards to officiating
And yet it’s not the most difficult sport to officiate, the NBA is far more difficult, by contrast the NFL is a lot easier to officiate, but for some odd reason 😉 they refuse to address the solution, and there is ample amount of ways it can be addressed.

But I truly believe there is more to it than what we simpletons 😜 are able or allowed to know.

And yet it’s not the most difficult sport to officiate, the NBA is far more difficult, by contrast the NFL is a lot easier to officiate, but for some odd reason 😉 they refuse to address the solution, and there is ample amount of ways it can be addressed.

But I truly believe there is more to it than what we simpletons 😜 are able or allowed to know.
Eh, disagree there

These guys have to run at full speed to keep up with these players while 22 of em are running wild all over the place. And then gotta make a call in a split second especially on pass interference calls and nearly impossible to see every angle

Basketball is a fraction size of a football field, so much more condensed and players not running at full speed and only 10 of em at a time

I guess I look at it like most things. The people (athletes in this case) that have built and gained a persona and elevated status, usually through an S-ton of hard work, get the benefit of the doubt on many but not all questionable calls. It's not ideal, but I think it is part of the human experience. We tend to give leniency to those who have done something we really like, even if it's subconscious.

I don't think it's equivalent to "fixing" anything. I think it is the way humans have evolved. Get behind the strong ones who can provide protection.

Dang, this is stupid post. But it's been on my mind for years. Thanks for listening, now go tear me a new one.

Back
Top Bottom