Anyone besides me hate the Jake Long pick??? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Anyone besides me hate the Jake Long pick???

burton87

Favorite Dolphin = Bill Gramatica
Reaction score
I'm prepared to duck after this post haha-

My buddy is a huge Michigan fan and would come over every Saturday to watch them play; I would just study Jake Long because I didn't have any interest in the game- just the line play (I play DE right now for a small school) and I was never impressed with Jake Long. Ever...

Yea he is a huge specimen- he's strong' big framed dude... but I'm in huge doubt over his 1st overall pick potential- Who would I pick? I don't know- the other Long maybe.. But still it's hard to get through my head we are giving Jake Long close to a 70 million dollar contract and I don't think he is anywhere close to Joe Thomas's potential; who was drafted 3rd overall..

The NFL really ****ed themselves with inflation signing the first overall pick the last couple of years -- Even if he turns out to be the best NFL player ever can we afford to keep him with that salary? and if we did, wouldn't we have to let other core players go?

And I know this next statement is going to get some people rating this thread 1 star or whatever... hahaha- but what's illogical about maybe trading the first overall pick for someone like Jarred Allen?
He's already proven; lead the NFL in sacks, him and JT playing the ends would be so dominate and we already know what a great DL can do (see NY Giants) And most importantly we would wouldn't be caught in such a salary dilemma paying someone unproven so much money- But I guess we deserved 'the paradox of the first overall pick' because yea, we kinda suck- haha

haha, i'm done, and as a fin fan- I'm ready to accept anyone we draft.. I hope Jake Long is a twelve time pro bowler and proves me wrong..

Go fins!

PHP480E34696B5B0-1.jpg

I mean I don't see how u can't be impressed with his ability in the run game . . . yea there are times where I have seen him get a bit off balanced with a bull rush . . . but that is all correctable . . . and it sure helps that the head coach is a former OLine coach . . . and I'm sure he is licking his chops about getting this big fella on the team.

U were gonna pay the same to ANYBODY who was the pick . . . so might as well give it to the guy who EASILY fills the biggest hole on the team . . . and dominated in college.

I love Jake's attitude and personality . . . that is something this team has needed for a long time on the OLine . . . and I didn't feel comfortable passing on him and being forced in round 2 to get a guy who just is not as good as Jake.

Everybody is entitled to their opinion . . . and I just think Jake was the best guy for the Fins.

I'm prepared to duck after this post haha-

My buddy is a huge Michigan fan and would come over every Saturday to watch them play; I would just study Jake Long because I didn't have any interest in the game- just the line play (I play DE right now for a small school) and I was never impressed with Jake Long. Ever...

Yea he is a huge specimen- he's strong' big framed dude... but I'm in huge doubt over his 1st overall pick potential- Who would I pick? I don't know- the other Long maybe.. But still it's hard to get through my head we are giving Jake Long close to a 70 million dollar contract and I don't think he is anywhere close to Joe Thomas's potential; who was drafted 3rd overall..

The NFL really ****ed themselves with inflation signing the first overall pick the last couple of years -- Even if he turns out to be the best NFL player ever can we afford to keep him with that salary? and if we did, wouldn't we have to let other core players go?

And I know this next statement is going to get some people rating this thread 1 star or whatever... hahaha- but what's illogical about maybe trading the first overall pick for someone like Jarred Allen?
He's already proven; lead the NFL in sacks, him and JT playing the ends would be so dominate and we already know what a great DL can do (see NY Giants) And most importantly we would wouldn't be caught in such a salary dilemma paying someone unproven so much money- But I guess we deserved 'the paradox of the first overall pick' because yea, we kinda suck- haha

haha, i'm done, and as a fin fan- I'm ready to accept anyone we draft.. I hope Jake Long is a twelve time pro bowler and proves me wrong..

Go fins!

PHP480E34696B5B0-1.jpg

This is what I just read..

"My buddy is a huge Michigan fan.. Blah blha blah, and would come over every Saturday to watch them play; blah, I would just..blah..jake long...blah blah... because I didnt have any interest in the game.. blah blah blah" End..

99.99% of posts that try to be credible by starting with, "a buddy of mine", or "word on the street", or "from a credible source" or, "I was at a restaraunt and went to take a leak and overheard a conversation in the stall" hold no water with me... not that you guys should care, but im just sayin

Your not impressed wiht the fact that in 4 years he gave up only 2 sacks and more even more impressive had only 2 penalties?

Worst case, he's a road grader on running plays and a turnstile against speed rushers. So you move him to right tackle, and if he can't hold that down, you move him to guard. If he's still a bust at 3 different positions then you swung and missed. We wouldn't be the first. By then his contract is up and you cut your losses.

There aren't a lot of knowledgeable professionals who anticipate the above scenario happening, however.

Big Jake fills the need the FO felt needed to be filled first. I believe if C Long was their choice they would have signed him. They said he was at the top of their board the whole time and since they have showed the direction to us i love the pick we are a guard away from having a STUD line. He may not be a sexy pick but he is the best pick for this team you win a NFL game the trenches you always have you always will. He will be a cornerstone of this line for atleast a decade and WHEN we sign Carey long term we might just have the two best bookends in the making here soon.

As a guy who plays the game now, I don't understand how you can't see that O-line was the biggest need this team had. EVERYTHING keys off of the O-line. Now that situation has been addressed. Sure, we paid a lot of money for him, but we were going to pay thru the nose for whoever we picked, might as well take the best guy at the position of greatest need. IMO it was the only pick we could make.

Long will dominate in the run game...your o-line needed a premier player.

Worst case, he's a road grader on running plays and a turnstile against speed rushers. So you move him to right tackle, and if he can't hold that down, you move him to guard. If he's still a bust at 3 different positions then you swung and missed. We wouldn't be the first. By then his contract is up and you cut your losses.

There aren't a lot of knowledgeable professionals who anticipate the above scenario happening, however.

Yep . . . I mean I don't see him busting to the point where he is out of the NFL in 5 years or less.

At best . . . he is a multiple Pro-Bowler at LT . . . and legendary in the run game (also a beast in pass pro as well)

Could happen . . . . a stud at RT . . . road grader

Worst case . . . he is a great guard . . . beast in the run game

Wont happen . . . . him not succeeding in the NFL . . . have u seen this kid? He will make it on the line somewhere . . . that is a guarantee . . . and he should be successful in a worse case scenario.

No. It was the right pick for this TEAM.
i agree with you on this....LT was a HUGE need for us and that's what Jake was picked&signed by us to play and if he lives up to his billing,we'll be EXTREMELY glad of this pick. i think it was a good pick by our FO.

I think this was a great pick for us...he's the safest picks and fills a big need.

Ozzy rules!!

2 sacks allowed in 4 years.
scout.com rated him a 98.

I cant decide whether I want to compare this guy to Tony Boselli or Willie Roaf. Forgetting about Tuna's personnel evaluation history for a second, keep in mind that 13 cowboys went to the pro bowl last year, directly attributable to Ireland's personnel evaluation, and Sparano, as the offensive line coach(as well as assistant head coach) coached 3 of those. These guys DEFINATELY deserve the benefit of the doubt.

With Parcell's history of drafting defense early, I think it speaks volumes about his feeling on Long that he is willing to go O-lineman number 1 overall.

Back
Top Bottom