Anyone besides me hate the Jake Long pick??? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Anyone besides me hate the Jake Long pick???

I'm prepared to duck after this post haha-

My buddy is a huge Michigan fan and would come over every Saturday to watch them play; I would just study Jake Long because I didn't have any interest in the game- just the line play (I play DE right now for a small school) and I was never impressed with Jake Long. Ever...

Yea he is a huge specimen- he's strong' big framed dude... but I'm in huge doubt over his 1st overall pick potential- Who would I pick? I don't know- the other Long maybe.. But still it's hard to get through my head we are giving Jake Long close to a 70 million dollar contract and I don't think he is anywhere close to Joe Thomas's potential; who was drafted 3rd overall..

The NFL really ****ed themselves with inflation signing the first overall pick the last couple of years -- Even if he turns out to be the best NFL player ever can we afford to keep him with that salary? and if we did, wouldn't we have to let other core players go?

And I know this next statement is going to get some people rating this thread 1 star or whatever... hahaha- but what's illogical about maybe trading the first overall pick for someone like Jarred Allen?
He's already proven; lead the NFL in sacks, him and JT playing the ends would be so dominate and we already know what a great DL can do (see NY Giants) And most importantly we would wouldn't be caught in such a salary dilemma paying someone unproven so much money- But I guess we deserved 'the paradox of the first overall pick' because yea, we kinda suck- haha

haha, i'm done, and as a fin fan- I'm ready to accept anyone we draft.. I hope Jake Long is a twelve time pro bowler and proves me wrong..

Go fins!

PHP480E34696B5B0-1.jpg

Not to be negative, but you were not impressed at what? You made a general statement about Jake and left it at that.

My buddy is a huge Michigan fan and would come over every Saturday to watch them play; I would just study Jake Long because I didn't have any interest in the game- just the line play (I play DE right now for a small school) and I was never impressed with Jake Long. Ever...

Yea he is a huge specimen- he's strong' big framed dude... but I'm in huge doubt over his 1st overall pick potential- Who would I pick? I don't know- the other Long maybe.. But still it's hard to get through my head we are giving Jake Long close to a 70 million dollar contract and I don't think he is anywhere close to Joe Thomas's potential; who was drafted 3rd overall..

The NFL really ****ed themselves with inflation signing the first overall pick the last couple of years -- Even if he turns out to be the best NFL player ever can we afford to keep him with that salary? and if we did, wouldn't we have to let other core players go?

And I know this next statement is going to get some people rating this thread 1 star or whatever... hahaha- but what's illogical about maybe trading the first overall pick for someone like Jarred Allen?
He's already proven; lead the NFL in sacks, him and JT playing the ends would be so dominate and we already know what a great DL can do (see NY Giants) And most importantly we would wouldn't be caught in such a salary dilemma paying someone unproven so much money- But I guess we deserved 'the paradox of the first overall pick' because yea, we kinda suck- haha

haha, i'm done, and as a fin fan- I'm ready to accept anyone we draft.. I hope Jake Long is a twelve time pro bowler and proves me wrong..

Go fins!

PHP480E34696B5B0-1.jpg

let me just say i LOVE this pick .. well its too early to call it love .. maybe just lust :sidelol: .. but really the knock on Long from what i've heard is he's got great runblock ability but needs to work on his pass blocking .. i mean i am skeptical every year someone takes a OL in the top ten .. but then again .. with the coaching staff he has now .. how can he fail?!?

burton97....
"just the line play (I play DE right now for a small school) and I was never impressed with Jake Long. Ever..."

Spoken like a true DE. My guess is that your take on most big school offensive linemen is that they are ALL way overrated and you could probably hold your own against any of them if you were only just given the chance to prove yourself. :wink:

My only complaint about the pick is that it was announced so early! Kinda like finding out on Dec 20th what your big Christmas gift is before it even gets wrapped and put under the tree. Besides that I'm perfectly happy with Jake Long.

burton97....
"just the line play (I play DE right now for a small school) and I was never impressed with Jake Long. Ever..."

Spoken like a true DE. My guess is that your take on most big school offensive linemen is that they are ALL way overrated and you could probably hold your own against any of them if you were only just given the chance to prove yourself.

:sidelol: Your probably right too...

And then there was a little something we all like to call, reality..

This belongs in that "Alternate Universe" thread from yesterday

No-one can say any player is guaranteed to be great coming out of college. Forget the money for a moment, because that is just the nature of the business of Pro Football. As for Long as a selection.. there are few teams that didnt have Long in the top 3 or in many cases #1 overall anyway. So will he be a pro bowler? Odds are at linemen selected this high in the draft.. yes.. As for the skilled position guys... thats much, much more of a cr*p shoot.

Not to be negative, but you were not impressed at what? You made a general statement about Jake and left it at that.

There are so many mistakes with his post (Long being paid $70 mil, giving up the #1 overall pick for someone that was traded for a #17 pick, lining up JT and Allen when we play a 3-4, thinking that Long is a much bigger risk then Allen who is one strike away from a suspension, and paying him Allen $70 mil for that risk), this thread will hopefully die quickly.

Go fins!

PHP480E34696B5B0-1.jpg
Since Jared Allen is already traded I think that might be difficult to pull off. No one knows how good or bad this pick is and we wont for a while, but I am certainly encouraged by it. Whether he is as good as Joe Thomas remains to be seen, but I think this pick was more than taking a Left tackle, it was symbolic of what we can look forward to. Common Sense free-agency and draft picks.

as a life-long Buckeye fan I can tell you this...

he's better than Orlando Pace.

There are so many mistakes with his post (Long being paid $70 mil, giving up the #1 overall pick for someone that was traded for a #17 pick, lining up JT and Allen when we play a 3-4, thinking that Long is a much bigger risk then Allen who is one strike away from a suspension, and paying him Allen $70 mil for that risk), this thread will hopefully die quickly.

Really? Yeah, looks like she knows what she is talking about. I didnt read the whole.. As I posted before I couldnt get past my all the blah blah blah's

There is absolutely no guarantees in these drafts, case in point Reggie Bush. Apparently Gods gift to football as the media and fans predicted has been very meh. The next Gale Sayers he aint.

Point is, Miami has to pick a guy, a guy that could be great or average or crap. Nobody knows how this will all turn out, so why worry about you cannot know. Just let things play themselves out, that's all that can be done with these top draft picks.

No pick this year was a sure thing everyone had pick had its faults but he sure feels a need that Parcells did help create and I do agree he was the safest pick of the top 5 guys everyone is talking about. With the amount of money we gave him safe is really more important than "just" pure talent.

There is absolutely no guarantees in these drafts, case in point Reggie Bush. Apparently Gods gift to football as the media and fans predicted has been very meh. The next Gale Sayers he aint.

Point is, Miami has to pick a guy, a guy that could be great or average or crap. Nobody knows how this will all turn out, so why worry about you cannot know. Just let things play themselves out, that's all that can be done with these top draft picks.

Oh no! I personally garauntee that every single player drafted will, or will not be a bust.. How about that! :d-day:

It's not the sexiest pick in the world, but it was the most sensible pick for this team.

Back
Top Bottom