Anyone born after this like me- Was cool to watch! Super Bowl VII | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Anyone born after this like me- Was cool to watch! Super Bowl VII

I was about 10 years old. Don't remember much. But have watched the game online several times over the past decade or so. Gotta remember back than in 1972, there wasn't any cable TV, Internet, Directv or other streaming services. So, as a fan, living outside the state of Florida it was hard to stay informed as much as we can today.

I went to Superbowl XVII Miami vs Washington, unfortunately we lost!
That was a great game though for a SB in that era of mostly blowouts that went up until free agency really kicked in / late 90’s. In particular, the 80’s SBs were mostly horrible w the bigger, more physical NFC team always wiping the field w the smaller, finesse AFC team. Our ‘82 fins got pushed around a bit in the run game that day, but the pass D was excellent - kept us from breaking. And almost won it on that batted ball play. Dang.

There was a completely random Jim Kiick reference in Season 6 of Billions.

Me:

Leonardo Di Caprio Look GIF by Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

I basically became a dolphin fan because I hated the rams and 49ers.When they gave the franchise to Joe Robbie and Danny Thomas I immediately became a fan. The first few years were rather brutal but I hung in there. And yes I'm that old!

Last edited:
I attended many Dolphin games between 1966-1968. I joined the Coast Guard in January 1969 and got an early release in June 1972 to go to college. I purchased season tickets for the 1972 season and remained a season ticket holder until 2019. I would still be a season ticket holder today if not for the fact that the arthritis in my lower back no longer allows me to sit for several hours in the seats at the stadium.

So I was fortunate enough to be in the stands in 1966 to see Joe Auer return the first kick off in Miami Dolphins history for a TD. I have seen each of Dolphin Super Bowl wins, along with the three SB losses. So yes, watching the Dolphins win the 1973 SB was just as COOL as you imagine it was.
I grew up in Miami and my dad bought season tickets in 1966 when I was age 7. I was at every home game until I went away to college at UNC in 1977. It was a magical time to be a MD fan in Miami.

Attachments

• IMG_6055.jpeg
    IMG_6055.jpeg
    82.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_6056.jpeg
    IMG_6056.jpeg
    80.9 KB · Views: 1
I was 7 years old, watching with no real favorite, but still liking the Dolphins because they looked so cool, but had no clue they were playing to do something amazing that season.

I knew about football only because I played it with my friends a few times...badly, and watched older kids playing with different rules we were playing.

I lived in New Jersey, so either watch not very good Jets or Giants teams, or an extremely small sample of Dolphin games. It was awesome years later in the 80s to be able to rewatch what happened that season and that SB.

The Christmas Day game win over KC is my first recollection of watching a Miami game. I was five. I vaguely remember watching the SB VI loss to Dallas, but then it’s all pretty clear after that. SB VII was our greatest accomplishment obviously, but SB VIII was us at our peak. That team played a much tougher schedule than the undefeated team. We dominated that year, even tho we lost two games. We kicked the hell out of Tarkenton and The Purple People Eaters. The past is great and all, but it’s time to start winning titles again. I’m tired of rehashing the same old s**t and I’m tired of being stuck with two Lombardi trophies.

I attended many Dolphin games between 1966-1968. I joined the Coast Guard in January 1969 and got an early release in June 1972 to go to college. I purchased season tickets for the 1972 season and remained a season ticket holder until 2019. I would still be a season ticket holder today if not for the fact that the arthritis in my lower back no longer allows me to sit for several hours in the seats at the stadium.

So I was fortunate enough to be in the stands in 1966 to see Joe Auer return the first kick off in Miami Dolphins history for a TD. I have seen each of Dolphin Super Bowl wins, along with the three SB losses. So yes, watching the Dolphins win the 1973 SB was just as COOL as you imagine it was.
Awesome brother that you got to be there.. what a feeling I'll bet it was to see it live and feel it such a long time ago.. here's to hoping history repeats itself.
🐻

Back
Top Bottom