Anyone Doubting Peterson well heres the facts....This man knows his stuff!!!! | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Anyone Doubting Peterson well heres the facts....This man knows his stuff!!!!

One thing that I have learned about fans. Think about who you like today. In 10 years you will be on here telling us all that he is a turd.

Well they have 3 playoff wins and bot line he produced a winning product and multiple playoff teams he cant go out there and coach and make all the plays but he put together teams and thats what you need. He went 9 times out of his 20 years ill take that all day and his record speaks for itself. Also I mentioned 10 guys who really stood out on his teams he had a ton of other good players just not as well known as the ones I listed. You dont go 176-141 drafting bad teams?? As far as the drafting a franchise qb he didnt really need one under his tenure the list is as follows.

Joe Montana
Rich Gannon
Elvis Gerac
Warren Moon
Trent Green
Ron Jaworski
Steve Deberg
:lol: What exactly do you think that list proves? Yeah, they were completely set at QB by bringing in players decades past their prime and Elvis Grbac.

Peterson has shown nothing but a complete disconnect from the modern NFL. It's why he was gawd awful for the last decade of his tenure. His ideology is even more obsolete than Parcells.

There have been some gm's and/or coaches that were considered to be very good that had very bad years or stretches, and there have been some that are considered aweful that have gone to SB's. So what is my point? Well they always say the draft is a crap shoot, and I think luck has more to do with it than people think. One thing I'm sure of though is if you have a competent QB your team will win some games, so if Peterson brings one of those in he will look at least ok.

One thing that I have learned about fans. Think about who you like today. In 10 years you will be on here telling us all that he is a turd.
No, I'll be telling you I was right!

Career Record 176-141 9 playoff appearence.

Peterson has earned praise for hiring winning coaches and re-establishing proud traditions for professional football franchises.
Peterson led the Chiefs for 20 seasons, one of the longest and most successful tenures for a team president, general manager and CEO in modern NFL history.
Upon his arrival to Kansas City, he made one of the most important hires in the team's history when naming Marty Schottenheimer head coach. Schottenheimer led the team to its most successful period since Pro Football Hall of Fame coach Hank Stram paced Kansas City's sidelines. Prior to Peterson's arrival, the Chiefs had made only one playoff appearance in the previous 18 years. The Chiefs were the NFL's winningest team in the 1990s, won four AFC West championships, and played in the team's only AFC Championship Game in January 1994. Over Peterson's 20 years, the Chiefs' record was 176-141-1 and qualified for the NFL playoffs nine times.
Under Peterson's leadership, three Kansas City assistant coaches ultimately went on to lead teams to Super Bowl championships as head coaches: Bill Cowher (Pittsburgh Steelers; Super Bowl XL), Tony Dungy (Indianapolis Colts; Super Bowl XLI) and Mike McCarthy (Green Bay Packers; Super Bowl XLV). Peterson also hired Vermeil as Kansas City's head coach in 2001, two years after he had led the St. Louis Rams to victory in Super Bowl XXXIV.
Four current NFL team general managers also built their portfolios as members of the Chiefs' front office under Peterson: Tom Dimitroff (Atlanta Falcons), Mark Dominik (Tampa Bay Buccaneers), Jeff Ireland (Miami Dolphins) and John Schneider (Seattle Seahawks). In addition, National Football Scouting President Jeff Foster, a Chiefs scout under Peterson, now directs the annual NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis for all 32 NFL clubs.

Players Peterson Drafted: How they preformed under him.

Dale Carter 4 pro bowls
Donnie Edwards 1 pro bowl
Jared allen 1 pro bowl
Larry Johnson 2 pro bowl 1 All pro
Tim Grundar 1 pro bowl
Will Sheilds 12 pro bowls
Derrick Thomas 9 pro bowls 2 All Pro
Tony Gonzales 10 Pro bowls 4 All pro
Christian Okye 1 Pro bowl
James Hasty 2 pro bowls

Coaching Tree:

Marty Shotenhimer- Winningest Coach in cheifs history
Gunther Cunningham- D-Coordinator led his D held opponents to 16.4 pts per game with a 42-22 record.
Dick Vermeil- Enough Said
Herm Edwards- Not so good.

20 years running the team
3 playoff wins
That's really all we need to know

I think we'd all agree Miami has struggled the last 20 years(in respect to what the franchise once was) and in the last 20 seasons(1992-2011) Miami has won 5 playoff games

Players Peterson Drafted: How they preformed under him.

Dale Carter 4 pro bowls
Donnie Edwards 1 pro bowl
Jared allen 1 pro bowl
Larry Johnson 2 pro bowl 1 All pro
Tim Grundar 1 pro bowl
Will Sheilds 12 pro bowls
Derrick Thomas 9 pro bowls 2 All Pro
Tony Gonzales 10 Pro bowls 4 All pro
Christian Okye 1 Pro bowl
James Hasty 2 pro bowls

Peterson was terrible at the draft. The list above is just about all of the decent picks he made over 20 years. In 20 years he only drafted about a dozen quality players, all others were backups or cut. To me, thats an awfull lot of misses in the draft. Most of his good players we FA signings, and some of which were BEFORE the salary cap was introduced. The Chiefs were built through free agency (and failed) and thats what bothers me about Peterson.

The one thing I can recall about Peterson is that he is extremely good at the negotiating part of a trade with another team. From a distance I observed that he was always very tough to negotiate with. If the Chiefs were losing a player, he negotiated tough and consistently extracted more/higher draft picks because he exploited the other GMs eagerness to complete a deal. In contrast most Dolphin GMs have been relative *****cats in the negotiating process.

Here's his 1st Rd Track Record;

1989-(4th Overall) Derrick Thomas LB- Great Pick, Hall of Famer Grade A+

1990-(13th Overall) Percy Snow LB- Only played 3 seasons, wrecked his knee in a moped accident and never recovered. Emmitt Smith was drafted a few picks later as well LB Lamar Lathon who was a solid player that made the Pro Bowl in his 9 season career. Grade D-

1991-(21st Overall) Harvey Williams RB- Only played 3 seasons in Kansas City where he was a 3rd stringer. Ended up as a journeyman and had a couple of decent seasons in Oakland. They missed out on DT Ted Williams as well as Brett Favre who was drafted early in the 2nd Round. Grade F

1992-(20th Overall) Dale Carter CB- NFL Defensive Rookie of the year as well as solid corner during his career. Was never elite and had off the field problems that stopped him from living up to his potential. Played 6 years in KC until signing with Denver as a free agent. Players available around that range were Robert Porcher and Ashley Ambrose. Carl Pickens was also available too. Grade B+

1993 NO PICK- Traded to San Francisco for Joe Montana. NOTABLE Drafted Will Shields with their first selection in 3rd Rd. Would've been the 18th overall pick and best players drafted around that range were Robert Smith and Dana Stubblefield. Grade B+

1994-(25th Overall) Greg Hill RB- Played 4 seasons in Kansas City. Was a great back up RB to Marcus Allen but failed when they tried to make him the starter. Played 6 seasons in the NFL. Players drafted around that range were T Tre Johnsons, WR Issac Bruce, C Kevin Mawae, and RB Charlie Garner. Grade D+

1995-(31st Overall) Trezelle Jenkins OT- Played in 9 games in 3 seasons with Kansas City. Traded back from 19 to 31. Signed with a couple of teams the next couple of years but never appeared in another NFL game. Players available around the range of 31 were TE Ken Dilger, C Barrett Robbins, CB Bobby Taylor. Players availabe around 19 were DT Luther Elliss and CB Ty Law Grade F

1996-(28th Overall) Jerome Woods SS- Played 10 seasons in the NFL all with Kansas City. Solid player but never truely elite. Only 15 Interceptions in 10 seasons but is 7th all time in Kansas City history in tackles made. Made 1 pro bowl. Players available around that range were DE Tony Brackens, RB Mike Alstott, and SS Lawyer Milloy.Grade C+B]

1997-(13th Overall) Tony Gonzalez TE- Future Hall of Famer. Grade A

1998-(27th Overall) Victor Riley OT- Played 4 seasons in Kansas City and 8 seasons overall. Started 52 out of 55 games in Kansas City and 93 out 111 in his career. Never made a pro bowl. Players available around that range were SS Corey Chavous, OT Flozell Adams, and MLB Sam Cowart. Grade D+

1999-(14th Overall) John Tait OT- Played 5 seasons in Kansas City before signing an offer sheet with Chicago and allowed to leave. 2 time Pro Bowler but only once in Kansas City.Players available in this range include DE Jevon Kearse and C Damien WoodyGrade B

2000-(21st Overall) Sly Morris WR- Played 1 season and showed promise by getting 650 yards. Knee injuries ruined his career. Players available in this range include LB Keith Bullock. Grade D

2001- NO PICK- Traded for QB Trent Green and also recieved a 5th Rd pick(Derrick Blaylock). Players available around this draft range include DT Marcus Stroud, G Steve Hutchinson, and WR Santana Moss. Grade B-

2002-(6th Overall) Ryan Sims DT- Played 5 seasons in KC and ended his time there with 54 tackles and 5 sacks in 74 games. Players drafted directly behind Sims were OT Bryant McKinnie, SS Roy Williams, DT John Henderson, OT Levi Jones, and DE Dwight Freeney. All but Jones were pro bowlers. Grade F

2003-(27th Overall) Larry Johnson RB- Drafted over the objection over coach Dick Vermeil who wanted a defensive player. Traded back from 16 to 27. Backup to Priest Holmes for 2 years before exploding the next 2 seasons. Signed a big extension and never produced at anywhere near the same level. Players availabe from 16-27 were SS Troy Polamalu(16th), C Jeff Faine, RB Willis McGahee, TE Dallas Clark. Players drafted after 27 were CB Nnamdi Asomugha, CB Rashean Mathis, and LB E.J. Henderson. Grade C+

2004- NO PICK- Traded 30th overall pick to DET for 2nd and 5th Rounder (DT Junior Siavii and WR Sammie Parker). Siavii played 2 seasons in KC and never started a game, played 4 seasons overall. Parker was a 4th WR most of his career. Players drafted around 30 include LB Karlos Dansby, G Chris Snee, and SS Bob Sanders. Grade F

2005-(15th Overall) Derrick Johnson LB- Has been a solid but unspectacular LB most of his career. Seems to be finally putting it together but has never notched more than 100 tackles in a single season. Players available at 15 were QB Aaron Rodgers, WR Roddy White, and G Logan Mankins. Grade B-

2006-(20th Overall) Tamba Hali DE- First 4 years never got more than 8.5 sacks until exploding for 14.5 last year. Also seems to be having a good year this year. Players available at this pick were RB Deangelo Williams, TE Mercedes Lewis, C Nick Mangold and RB Joseph Addai. Grade B+

2007-(23rd Overall) Dwayne Bowe WR- Solid WR held back by inconsistant QB play. 1 Pro Bowl and All Pro season. Players available at this spot were LB Jon Beason, FS Brandon Merriweather, and WR Robert Meachem. Grade A-

To me doesn't seem like he was a very good drafter. Interesting that his last 3 picks all turned out to be solid players. Still not enthused by his drafting ability. Far too many strikeouts. When he did hit though he usually got an all pro.

To me doesn't seem like he was a very good drafter. Interesting that his last 3 picks all turned out to be solid players. Still not enthused by his drafting ability. Far too many strikeouts. When he did hit though he usually got an all pro.

If you think he wasnt a good drafter based on first round picks, wait till you see the picks for the other rounds. He's a terrible drafter imo.

He seemed like he made good trades, but his awful drafting really kept that team from having post season success. Following the big trade of Joe Montana and Marcus Allen, they draft another RB Greg Hill. Just seemed like a curious choice.

I also don't like the fact that he drafted 3 RB's in the first round but no QB's. He seemed intent on trading for older QB's.

2005-(15th Overall) Derrick Johnson LB- Has been a solid but unspectacular LB most of his career. Seems to be finally putting it together but has never notched more than 100 tackles in a single season. Players available at 15 were QB Aaron Rodgers, WR Roddy White, and G Logan Mankins. Grade B-

2006-(20th Overall) Tamba Hali DE- First 4 years never got more than 8.5 sacks until exploding for 14.5 last year. Also seems to be having a good year this year. Players available at this pick were RB Deangelo Williams, TE Mercedes Lewis, C Nick Mangold and RB Joseph Addai. Grade B+

2007-(23rd Overall) Dwayne Bowe WR- Solid WR held back by inconsistant QB play. 1 Pro Bowl and All Pro season. Players available at this spot were LB Jon Beason, FS Brandon Merriweather, and WR Robert Meachem. Grade A-

You forgot Glenn Dorsey. He was still around for that pick, got fired during that season.

And just wanted to point out that Derrick Johnson and Tamba Hali only had success when they got put into a new defensive system. Peterson was putting players that had better success in a 3-4(albeit later), and trying to put them in a 4-3.

You forgot Glenn Dorsey. He was still around for that pick, got fired during that season.

And just wanted to point out that Derrick Johnson and Tamba Hali only had success when they got put into a new defensive system. Peterson was putting players that had better success in a 3-4(albeit later), and trying to put them in a 4-3.

I read a report that he got fired in December so I don't think he was a part of the Dorsey pick. I agree that Hall and Johnson had better success with a new defensive system, but I don't think you can fault Peterson too much for that one. It's the coaching staff's responsibility to maximize the talent of players and Hall and Johnson both showed they're quality players.

Thats another thing to wonder about with Peterson though. Does he know how to scout players for a 3-4 system?

He KNEW his stuff. His best years with KC were from 1989 to 1997, and I will agree they had some very good teams. However, you cannot forgot that he remained GM until 2008, and from 1998 to 2008 his teams were far less than consistently successful.

So yea, his first 10 years in KC were awesome...his last 10 not so much. I hope it works out, but I am a little worried that todays NFL game has passed him by just like it has Parcells.

Valid concerns.

I wonder...

1) will CP hire people who have a philosophy that will work in the 21st century NFL?
2) or like you know who hire a bunch of weaselly yes men who are content to defer to 'the guru'?

I read a report that he got fired in December so I don't think he was a part of the Dorsey pick. I agree that Hall and Johnson had better success with a new defensive system, but I don't think you can fault Peterson too much for that one. It's the coaching staff's responsibility to maximize the talent of players and Hall and Johnson both showed they're quality players.

Thats another thing to wonder about with Peterson though. Does he know how to scout players for a 3-4 system?

Chiefs president Carl Peterson challenged Glenn Dorsey to encourage his agent, Joel Segal, to work harder to get the fifth overall pick signed.
Peterson said that as of this morning, the sides were not close to a deal and had temporarily suspended contract talks. Dorsey is the highest unsigned draft pick. Peterson said Segal wanted to wait until more first-round picks had signed before they proceeded.
"Our comment to Glenn Dorsey’s agent was: Look it, since you don’t want to negotiate, we’re going to go to camp and get started," Peterson said. "When you want to negotiate, you know how to reach us, so give me a phone call."

http://chiefsblog.kansascity.com/?q=node/31

He might of gotten fired in December 2008(which sounds about right, towards the end of the season) but remember: drafts "years" are always for the upcoming season. Hence, we are entering the 2012 draft even though the 2012 season carries into 2013.

As for the 2 other players, they are talented so Peterson does deserve some credit. But at the same time, he drafted them when he had a system that didn't maximize their skill set. I personally blame Cam Cameron for luring Joey Porter to Miami then sticking him in a 4-3. Same as i blame Peterson for drafting 3-4 players then trying to get them to play in a 4-3. Johnson in particular was heading out of town as a bust, before Pioli hired coaches to run a 3-4 defense.

Back
Top Bottom