Anyone else concerned about our RB situation? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Anyone else concerned about our RB situation?

royalshank

Not a Game-Changer
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
When we didn't resign Bush it seemed as though the FO knew something we didn't - and that was how Miller was a lock to replace the big plays Reggie gave us while being a more complete player. The fact that he is supposedly neck and neck w Thomas bothers me because I don't think Thomas is anything more than serviceable at best.

Philbin's comment after Miller dropped an easy one - "Lamar has to catch the ball when you're wide open on (third)-and-two," Philbin said. "That's a play you have to make in that critical situation early in the ballgame when you want to start fast." - is bothersome to me. Yes it's just one play. Meanwhile I flick on the tube and see Reggie take a 1 yard screen and go 67 yards against NE. I know Reggie wasn't a complete back but I didn't think we'd have any question at this point in the offseason as to who our next playmaker back would be. If Thomas wins the starting job, good for him but won't produce too many big plays - and if he wins the job shame on the FO for labeling Bush a "luxury" and not resigning him.

Curious if I'm missing something / reading too much into preseason play.

Bush only gained yards when it was easy...when the holes were open. Any rb can do that. While miller has not impressed, Thomas has. We'll be fine.

It's not that Miller has played bad, it's that Thomas has really stepped it up. So we have 2 backs playing well, considering the O-line situation.

Nope. Cause I think DT is gonna step it up this year. He's looked great so far and actually looks like he gets shot out of a cannon when he gets the ball. I do want Miller to hold on to those short screen passes though

I hope Reggie has a fantastic season so the haters can squirm and squirm some more, and deny and deny some more.

In more than 40 years of following this team it's been one of the delightful topics, with no connection between how a player is viewed and his level of ability and contribution.

Miller will be fine, he has elite speed and has shown he makes good reads. The o line, for its faults, looks to be strong at run blocking. Nothing to worry about.

No offense to Reggie bush but Miller will be a way better back

Miller has shown he can be explosive, and consistant when needed (4.1), Thomas has shown so far great power (4.1), and Grey looks like he cold be the player to count on 3rd and short or at the goal line if the other two can't (2 TDs).....basically no, I am not remotely worried.

Bush is gonna fit well in that o but he's still too much east and west....easier to hide all those carries for losses when you have Calvin Johnson though...

I'd cut gillislee for the lions 4th rb option theo reddick off what I have seen...reddicks got sweet feet in tight spaces and burst...reddick they probably want to hide on the p squad

Miller isn't neck and neck with anyone. He's had the job down since day 1 :lol:

I guarantee them telling the media that he's neck and neck with Lamar is a ploy to get DT's confidence up. Kind of like how Coach Turner did with Jerry last year.

Bush is gonna fit well in that o but he's still too much east and west....easier to hide all those carries for losses when you have Calvin Johnson though...

I'd cut gillislee for the lions 4th rb option theo reddick off what I have seen...reddicks got sweet feet in tight spaces and burst...reddick they probably want to hide on the p squad

I'll take another ND rb

nope, not really. miller is an explosive downhill runner. dt isn't horrible just not a great every down back. and the two young guys are decent too. im not as high on gray as others but we need a pounder. we have a solid young group with lots of potential.

I've earned a ton of respect for Daniel Thomas this preseason.

He went from a guy who I'd be comfortable cutting loose, to a player who runs hard and makes decisive cuts up field that can help move the chains and can be a good asset on your football team. He seems as if he's matured and to be honest, health concerns aside, I actually have confidence that he'll protect the football now for some odd reason.

That said, it's Miller's job to lose without a shadow of a doubt.

Why?

Well, it's solely based on Miller's limited action in preseason. Because if Thomas were to win the starting RB position I'd have to seriously question why Lamar wasn't given a better opportunity to showcase his skills on such limited carries.

That alone tells us everything we need to know.

The intrigue is do we keep 3 RB's or 4?

If it's 3 then frankly I'd roll with Gray over Gillislee strictly off of performance. Plus Jonas appears to be more hungry to prove himself and he has a serious chip on his shoulder.

Stash Gillislee on the practice squad.

Thomas's biggest question mark is fumbling, can he hold on to the rock, only time will tell really. Miller I would imagine biggest issue is injury, again only time will tell. Unfortunately on both I can't really make a judgement at all, just need to let it play out. Gray and Gillislee haven't seen play yet.

Back
Top Bottom