Anyone else concerned about our RB situation? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Anyone else concerned about our RB situation?

I've earned a ton of respect for Daniel Thomas this preseason.

He went from a guy who I'd be comfortable cutting loose, to a player who runs hard and makes decisive cuts up field that can help move the chains and can be a good asset on your football team. He seems as if he's matured and to be honest, health concerns aside, I actually have confidence that he'll protect the football now for some odd reason.

That said, it's Miller's job to lose without a shadow of a doubt.

Why?

Well, it's solely based on Miller's limited action in preseason. Because if Thomas were to win the starting RB position I'd have to seriously question why Lamar wasn't given a better opportunity to showcase his skills on such limited carries.

That alone tells us everything we need to know.

The intrigue is do we keep 3 RB's or 4?

If it's 3 then frankly I'd roll with Gray over Gillislee strictly off of performance. Plus Jonas appears to be more hungry to prove himself and he has a serious chip on his shoulder.

Stash Gillislee on the practice squad.

A ton of respect from PRESEASON. After a couple seasons of crap he earns respect with a couple of carries in preaseason. :possum4286: :rotfl1:

I hope Reggie has a fantastic season so the haters can squirm and squirm some more, and deny and deny some more.

In more than 40 years of following this team it's been one of the delightful topics, with no connection between how a player is viewed and his level of ability and contribution.

Most of us that didnt care for Reggie Bush after a while are smart enough to know that he isnt a horrible player or that he dosent have his purpose.

Bush simply isnt a good all around RB. He is a 3rd down back or change of pace guy that you want to give a handful of touches per game. He has big play potential but, he is not a guy you hand the ball of to 20 times per game. You give him 3 or 4 carries and a screen or two along with a couple of passes he may catch in a situation where the play isnt designed specifically for him. Using him that way, he is likely good for at least one chunk play per game that can help you win a game. Thats all.

If you give Bush the bulk of carries, he will simply put you in way too many adverse down and distance situations and turn out to be a negative overall.

He also needs to be returning punts if you have him on your roster. There wasnt anything wrong with the way the Saints utilized him. Bush's problem is he wants to be the man and he simply isnt a good enough player to fill that role. I wouldnt have minded having him back if he were willing to cooperate and help this team win by letting Philbin use him in ways that maximize his strengths. We couldve certainly used him. The problem was he wouldve created issues if he had not gotten his way.

Miller isn't neck and neck with anyone. He's had the job down since day 1 :lol:

I guarantee them telling the media that he's neck and neck with Lamar is a ploy to get DT's confidence up. Kind of like how Coach Turner did with Jerry last year.
You may be right but I think that maybe Sherman and Philbin are being totally honest in saying that it's neck and neck. Daniel Thomas has definitely improved and can add value by giving Miller a breather. I thought that Thomas was overrated and a probable bust but the coaches seem to have done a decent job in developing him.
He even answered questions well on the Finsiders, which was in contrast to the sad, non-communicative guy we previously saw. His self confidence has improved and it's good to see. I am comfortable with the RB by committee concept.

Most of us that didnt care for Reggie Bush after a while are smart enough to know that he isnt a horrible player or that he dosent have his purpose.

Bush simply isnt a good all around RB. He is a 3rd down back or change of pace guy that you want to give a handful of touches per game. He has big play potential but, he is not a guy you hand the ball of to 20 times per game. You give him 3 or 4 carries and a screen or two along with a couple of passes he may catch in a situation where the play isnt designed specifically for him. Using him that way, he is likely good for at least one chunk play per game that can help you win a game. Thats all.

If you give Bush the bulk of carries, he will simply put you in way too many adverse down and distance situations and turn out to be a negative overall.

He also needs to be returning punts if you have him on your roster. There wasnt anything wrong with the way the Saints utilized him. Bush's problem is he wants to be the man and he simply isnt a good enough player to fill that role. I wouldnt have minded having him back if he were willing to cooperate and help this team win by letting Philbin use him in ways that maximize his strengths. We couldve certainly used him. The problem was he wouldve created issues if he had not gotten his way.

When did Bush ever have lockerroom or issues with the coaching staff? What is this based off of?

Hey, the Patriots and Seahawks offenses sputtered, but dont worry, its only preseason. But when its the lowly Dolphins, darkness lingers overhead for long periods of time.

but seriously, I like the way Gillisle runs. Daniel Thomas has a good attitude and is better all around and a bigger back. And Miller will play for alot of carries.

I am actually kinda glad it will be some committee here because Miller can get injured over the course of the season and it gives us different kinds of looks.

Has anyone seen any kind of problems in preseason? Its been vanilla formation too. I think the Oline problems were clearly overstated by SF media bigtime, which includes the parrott James Walker now. The run blocking has been very good IMO. Its never gonna win every battle.

Sooo your mad at Miller for Thomas looking good? You should be happy that we may have two productive backs. Some of yall find the anything to get mad at.

and compared to the Pittsburgh Steelers, who got desperate and traded with Philly for Felix Jones, I would say we look pretty solid.

I've earned a ton of respect for Daniel Thomas this preseason.

He went from a guy who I'd be comfortable cutting loose, to a player who runs hard and makes decisive cuts up field that can help move the chains and can be a good asset on your football team. He seems as if he's matured and to be honest, health concerns aside, I actually have confidence that he'll protect the football now for some odd reason.

That said, it's Miller's job to lose without a shadow of a doubt.

Why?

Well, it's solely based on Miller's limited action in preseason. Because if Thomas were to win the starting RB position I'd have to seriously question why Lamar wasn't given a better opportunity to showcase his skills on such limited carries.

That alone tells us everything we need to know.

The intrigue is do we keep 3 RB's or 4?

If it's 3 then frankly I'd roll with Gray over Gillislee strictly off of performance. Plus Jonas appears to be more hungry to prove himself and he has a serious chip on his shoulder.

Stash Gillislee on the practice squad.

I agree with everything you just said up until Gillisle. Gilislie is a dolphins fan. But aside from being a draft pick, Gillisile hits the outside with speed. He cuts upfield to get extra yards consistently. I know he went against 2nd/3rd stringers, but he is a better runner with the football. I liked what I saw of him in the Senior Bowl as I am sure the coaches did as well. Gillisle will be good for us. Gray is more situational at GL and short yardage, which clearly they will look to the more complete back (blocking, pasas catching) Thomas to do that. I think Gray can be a PS player because of last year not playing.

Thomas's biggest question mark is fumbling, can he hold on to the rock, only time will tell really. Miller I would imagine biggest issue is injury, again only time will tell. Unfortunately on both I can't really make a judgement at all, just need to let it play out. Gray and Gillislee haven't seen play yet.

but isnt it funny that the guy who actually fumbled this preseason and dropped a 3rd down important pass was Miller. If anyone was paying attention to what the coaches were saying, they want a complete RB who can pass pro, run the rock, and do an excellent screen pass and juke the hell out of....oh i dont know...someone like Darrell REvis.

but isnt it funny that the guy who actually fumbled this preseason and dropped a 3rd down important pass was Miller. If anyone was paying attention to what the coaches were saying, they want a complete RB who can pass pro, run the rock, and do an excellent screen pass and juke the hell out of....oh i dont know...someone like Darrell REvis.

Dont forget stay healthy.

Dont forget stay healthy.

and that goes for anyone, particularly when your going up against a dirty team.

Miller not starting is not the end of the world. It just may push his button when real games come. In fact, If Miller were to come in on the fly during a drive, I think that is a weapon. A hidden weapon early on.

You may be right but I think that maybe Sherman and Philbin are being totally honest in saying that it's neck and neck. Daniel Thomas has definitely improved and can add value by giving Miller a breather. I thought that Thomas was overrated and a probable bust but the coaches seem to have done a decent job in developing him.
He even answered questions well on the Finsiders, which was in contrast to the sad, non-communicative guy we previously saw. His self confidence has improved and it's good to see. I am comfortable with the RB by committee concept.

I'll give you that. He definitely looks like a better back after 2 offseasons with Philbin than his previous years, but they've been specifically working on him for a while now. I've definitely noticed it. They always bring him up when they talk about backs, even when he hasn't done much, which is why I say it's a ploy to boost his self confidence. To get him believing he's better than he is so he can produce.
He was basically the Egnew before the Egnew. The media have ripped the guy since day 1 (him being lost finding the team facility) and he's never looked comfortable here, but now maybe they can turn him into something......
with that said.. There is NOOO way he takes a stud like Millers spot :lol: He's the real deal.

True,Thomas was the Egnew before Egnew but IMO,Reggie Bush and Thomas's injuries were the one two punch that kept him from getting into a rhythm and shake the sour reputation.

I'll give you that. He definitely looks like a better back after 2 offseasons with Philbin than his previous years, but they've been specifically working on him for a while now. I've definitely noticed it. They always bring him up when they talk about backs, even when he hasn't done much, which is why I say it's a ploy to boost his self confidence. To get him believing he's better than he is so he can produce.
He was basically the Egnew before the Egnew. The media have ripped the guy since day 1 (him being lost finding the team facility) and he's never looked comfortable here, but now maybe they can turn him into something......
with that said.. There is NOOO way he takes a stud like Millers spot :lol: He's the real deal.

Daniel Thomas - "the Egnew before Egnew" - ITS!MATEO has nailed it... An apt description but pretty brutal and hopefully ancient history.

Back
Top Bottom