Anyone else drooling over this defense? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Anyone else drooling over this defense?

The only thing we're lacking in any of the safeties is a speed guy to prevent the big play up top so it's going to be crucial these guys don't get out of position.

Thats what Coach Nick was thinking before he drafted Jason Allen.

PressCoverage said:
Took a real hard look at the defensive side of the ball today....

A nice mix of youth and veteran leadership...

Good depth in the trenchess.... Very raw, moldable young monsters up front...

A plethora of scrappy, athletic young DBs.... Most of whom are versatile, good vs. the run, and quick...

A coach and coordinator who attack and adjust...

And, oh, those linebackers...

I'm predicting a top 10 unit, with potential for top 5 if Wright and Wright pan out...

I really don't see how you can be drooling over this Defense. I'm optimistic, but the secondary is VERY young and inexperienced. I really like our front seven, but the secondary was bad last year. Changes have been made to that unit, but the jury is still out on how it will perform. I think there are still alot of question marks in the secondary and even on the DL, mostly at DT.

dolfan4eva said:
We set the franchise sack record last year. Need I say more.

Ask yourself, how were we able to do that? Logic would suggest that the polar opposites of our run D compared to our pass D caused offensive coordinators to use far more passing scenarios against us as that was our achilles heel.

If that is true, then here is an example to describe what I'm talking about: Say we face 1000 offensive plays a season with a 50/50 pass/run ratio. That's 500 pass plays with which to have an opportunity to register a sack. If we average a sack on 1 out of every 10 pass plays (10%) - that's 50 sacks, but it is 10% of the opportunity.

Now, if we have a glaring weakness, pass defense, and the opposing coordinator adjusts his game plan to be 70/30 split pass run. Then our opportunity grows to 700. Maintaining the 10% sack ratio, the sack total climbs to 70 sacks. Additionally because the run opportunities decreased, the perceived performance against the run would improve as well.

I submit that this is exactly what happened last year. Run D looks better because teams chose to go after our primary weakness - pass defense. Sack totals are better because there were more opportunities to register a sack. This gives the false impression that the defense is either drastically improved or dominant.

While we had a top ranked run defense, our pass defense was horrible which netted our ranking out to 18th in the league - which is below average.

Hopefully, the acquisitions and picks this offseason will return us to more of a balance and then we'll get a better indication of this defense's true characteristics.

Having said all of that, it was nice to see some creativity in the defensive schemes as opposed to the bland vanilla D we played for so many years.

DolphinsFan23 said:
We need as many hardcore Dolphin fanatics as possible to audition for "Fins Force" man. We need as many loud, fired up fans as we can to make some serious noise this fall at the games ... and try to keep everyone else at the game fired up and making noise. The more hot looking women the better...they can usually get the guys in the stands a little more revved up. :D

No doubt about it, the Dolphins fans need to do their part and be that 12th man on the field. I think it makes a HUGE difference in how well the Dolphins play.yes brother,lets all change the perception of dolphin fans,you know and i know we were the loudest at one time,lets get it back,everyone be crazy.

http://www.miamidolphins.com/pressbox/pressreleases/pressreleases.asp?contentID=4526&lid=4526
yes brother,i remember when we were the loudest in the nfl,i know the stadium is tough but lets do are part to erase that ugly perception that were soft.

Bill C said:
Agreed, he was slowed down, but you cannot argue his instincts and leadership. We did not add a single solid starter, nor did we draft one, to fill that void. Having said that, I think Saban will make a run at Brooks in the supplemental. DBo may also be an option here as he was originally a LB and has the size that Saban likes (drop only 10 lbs).

When young LBs get let go from their teams (ie no attempt to resign them) you have to wonder why (Hodge). It's because he was a disappointment. Now, he may do great here as I remember a lot of us were wanting him in the draft - but he did not do much in NO. Hopefully he excites here.

Not necessarily. When teams change defensive schemes and philosophies, personnel changes as well. Derrick Pope is a good young player with great instincts. He would be a great fit for a team that favors smaller and faster linebackers. He doesn't fit the prototype for a Saban 3-4 linebacker (6'3, 250 lbs. and good pass rushing ability). That being said, Pope might not make the team. Does that mean he isn't any good? Not at all. Some other team will snatch him up in a heartbeat. I'm not saying this will happen, but it's a possible scenario for my argument.

endorPHINS72 said:
Not necessarily. When teams change defensive schemes and philosophies, personnel changes as well. Derrick Pope is a good young player with great instincts. He would be a great fit for a team that favors smaller and faster linebackers. He doesn't fit the prototype for a Saban 3-4 linebacker (6'3, 250 lbs. and good pass rushing ability). That being said, Pope might not make the team. Does that mean he isn't any good? Not at all. Some other team will snatch him up in a heartbeat. I'm not saying this will happen, but it's a possible scenario for my argument.

Agreed. Not saying the guys we have suck - just that they are not necessarily the best fits for this system. Which in turn will hurt our performance - which is pretty much what we all care about.

Back
Top Bottom