Anyone else drooling over this defense? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Anyone else drooling over this defense?

Bill C said:
I am not drooling over this defense. Our secondary got torched last year and while we have made a few additions, they are currently question marks. We did not add anyone in FA that makes one go "whoa - that was the one guy we needed".

We did not get the OLB we needed to replace Seau. Hopefully we can get Brooks in the supplemental. Yes we have Zach and Crowder, but for the most part the rest are journeymen or disappointments with previous clubs.

DL - Again we did not add much and are relying on the unit to repeat a pretty solid performance. The veterans are another year older, Manny Wright still has some issues, and I haven't heard anything about Roth other than he was able to knock Harrington over in a non-contact drill. Hopefully Rodrigue is a beast.

Hopefully this unit comes together and the coaching staff is able to get better play out of the FAs we picked up and lets hope our #1 pick plays like a monster and Poole is recovered and plays to potential.

The only glimpse we have right now was all of the MC reports of our QBs completing pass after pass after pass - long, medium, and short - against this unit. Granted, there was no jamming or bumping and running, but I would have like to have heard more positives on the DBs and LBs from the 7/7 drills.

Only time will tell.

I feel what your saying but I must say I'm happy as hell to hear that type of stuff. It wasn't too long ago that we couldn't complete any passes during MCs and I even remember one year where we couldn't complete long passes with no defenders on the field.

Back on subject...I'm not salivating by any means but I am very confident we'll be tough and competitive. I don't care about a top ten ranking as long as we get off the field on 3rd downs...

This defense is unproven given the holes at OLB, Safety, and the changes at our nickle and dime positions.

If I were an O-coordinator, I would create passing matchups against OLB's and safety. Use 3,4, and 5 wide formations forcing Miami in m2m coverage.

I think we'll be ok against the run, but we have not solved against the passing game yet.

I've been drooling over the offense since we got DC......... the D is different. Front 7 is aging... Secondary was just revamped.

u can only do so much, we have depth at dline and db now, we really need allen to be a difference maker. we def could use more depth at linebacker, and brooks is an intriguing option in the supplemental draft

I think we have a lot of talent on the defensive side that needs to prove how good they can be this year. With Saban and Capers running the show, I think are defense will be good this year.

DcRy82 said:
We dont need a bunch of superstars and selfish vets like Ty Law, we need young guys who can do their part and work together... im tired of people saying "we didnt sign any big names" .. culpepper was a big enough name for me.. yea, lavar would be nice, but we have talent at every position, and when talent mixes with talent, and the coaching staff puts together a good plan, all that talent and good coaching equals a great defense. besides, sooner or later, these young guys are gonna be the big names in the league that everyone wants when they become FA's.. everyone has to start out somewhere.

Tell me exactly what new talent "makes you drool"? I did not say that we didn't add any big name, it's talent. Every defensive player we added in FA and the draft comes with one or more serious question marks. If you don't recognize that, then drool away.

BALLS DEEP said:
No one's ever happy. Our new Qb's make some long sought after completions and now our D is bad. If our D stops the Passes and the QB then the offense looks bad. I guess the only way of really knowing we have a good team is if the O looks at the D and the D looks at the O and they both approach the ref at the exact same time and declare a forfeit.

I'm very happy with the O. The topic however was the D. At this point and through the bulk of TC, the D is usually way ahead of the O. Not so anymore. But again, as I mentioned, the D could not jam or bump so they were at a disadvantage.

My primary observation was that the DBs and LBs got torched with the pass last season and were continuing to get torched at MC.

endorPHINS72 said:
Seau won't be missed. In his day, he was the best middle linebacker in the game. But age and injuries made him a shell of his former self. Spragan or Hodge will do fine replacing Seau.

Agreed, he was slowed down, but you cannot argue his instincts and leadership. We did not add a single solid starter, nor did we draft one, to fill that void. Having said that, I think Saban will make a run at Brooks in the supplemental. DBo may also be an option here as he was originally a LB and has the size that Saban likes (drop only 10 lbs).

When young LBs get let go from their teams (ie no attempt to resign them) you have to wonder why (Hodge). It's because he was a disappointment. Now, he may do great here as I remember a lot of us were wanting him in the draft - but he did not do much in NO. Hopefully he excites here.

brooks would be a very important addition to the present and future of our defense, if saban goes that route., at least from what i have read and seen of brooks.

PressCoverage said:
Took a real hard look at the defensive side of the ball today....

A nice mix of youth and veteran leadership...

Good depth in the trenchess.... Very raw, moldable young monsters up front...

A plethora of scrappy, athletic young DBs.... Most of whom are versatile, good vs. the run, and quick...

A coach and coordinator who attack and adjust...

And, oh, those linebackers...

I'm predicting a top 10 unit, with potential for top 5 if Wright and Wright pan out...
im actually drooling over our offense

endorPHINS72 said:
Seau won't be missed. In his day, he was the best middle linebacker in the game. But age and injuries made him a shell of his former self. Spragan or Hodge will do fine replacing Seau.

I dont think its about replacing Seau. To me its about upgrading and getting another quality player to go with Zach and Crowder. Right now we havnt got that player. Will not be good if the "average" Spragan or Hodge has to show up and make quality plays over the whole season.

Bill C said:
Agreed, he was slowed down, but you cannot argue his instincts and leadership. We did not add a single solid starter, nor did we draft one, to fill that void. Having said that, I think Saban will make a run at Brooks in the supplemental. DBo may also be an option here as he was originally a LB and has the size that Saban likes (drop only 10 lbs).

When young LBs get let go from their teams (ie no attempt to resign them) you have to wonder why (Hodge). It's because he was a disappointment. Now, he may do great here as I remember a lot of us were wanting him in the draft - but he did not do much in NO. Hopefully he excites here.

Agreed!

Bill C said:
I am not drooling over this defense. Our secondary got torched last year and while we have made a few additions, they are currently question marks. We did not add anyone in FA that makes one go "whoa - that was the one guy we needed".

We did not get the OLB we needed to replace Seau. Hopefully we can get Brooks in the supplemental. Yes we have Zach and Crowder, but for the most part the rest are journeymen or disappointments with previous clubs.

DL - Again we did not add much and are relying on the unit to repeat a pretty solid performance. The veterans are another year older, Manny Wright still has some issues, and I haven't heard anything about Roth other than he was able to knock Harrington over in a non-contact drill. Hopefully Rodrigue is a beast.

Hopefully this unit comes together and the coaching staff is able to get better play out of the FAs we picked up and lets hope our #1 pick plays like a monster and Poole is recovered and plays to potential.

The only glimpse we have right now was all of the MC reports of our QBs completing pass after pass after pass - long, medium, and short - against this unit. Granted, there was no jamming or bumping and running, but I would have like to have heard more positives on the DBs and LBs from the 7/7 drills.

Only time will tell.
oh come on drool just a lil:sidelol:

Yah the teams that play us this year is probably drooling about picking our safeties apart. We have 2 guys that didn't have enough talent to get off the bench for a Wanny team. Unless Allen steps in and plays miraculously we are in trouble against any teams that can throw deep IMO.

I personally love what we did with the secondary. We have a bunch of quality players back there, maybe no all-pro's.........but guys who will play within the scheme. Blue collars.........

Back
Top Bottom