Anyone else drooling over this defense? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Anyone else drooling over this defense?

enigmatics said:
I personally love what we did with the secondary. We have a bunch of quality players back there, maybe no all-pro's.........but guys who will play within the scheme. Blue collars.........
I love our corners don't get me wrong. I think Daniels, Poole, and Allen will do fine. With the exception of drafting Allen I disagree with the safeties. I would have liked or still would like to get Lance for one more year at least. I hope your right but I don't feel to secure about the safeties. Maybe Sabans system will make them starters but they haven't really proved it in anyone else's systems. By the camp reports even though their is no contact it sounds as if they are getting beat alot.

G-Force said:
I love our corners don't get me wrong. I think Daniels, Poole, and Allen will do fine. With the exception of drafting Allen I disagree with the safeties. I would have liked or still would like to get Lance for one more year at least. I hope your right but I don't feel to secure about the safeties. Maybe Sabans system will make them starters but they haven't really proved it in anyone else's systems. By the camp reports even though their is no contact it sounds as if they are getting beat alot.

There's really not a whole lot I can do to calm your worries, but I particularly like the Renaldo Hill aquisition............ he's a hard nosed guy..........I watched him as he got more PT here in AZ for a year. Yeremiah Bell is going to be a great situational playmaker. The only thing we're lacking in any of the safeties is a speed guy to prevent the big play up top so it's going to be crucial these guys don't get out of position.

enigmatics said:
There's really not a whole lot I can do to calm your worries, but I particularly like the Renaldo Hill aquisition............ he's a hard nosed guy..........I watched him as he got more PT here in AZ for a year. Yeremiah Bell is going to be a great situational playmaker. The only thing we're lacking in any of the safeties is a speed guy to prevent the big play up top so it's going to be crucial these guys don't get out of position.
Maybe when the contact drills and preseason starts the players will end my worries. That is what I'm hoping for anyway. I thought none of them had started a season before but I was wrong. Hill played in all 16 for the Raiders last year. Not sure if that is good or bad though.

Defense has too many question marks to be drooling yet. I mean our front seven is solid (even with Spragan), and I really like the depth, but the unit is definetly aging. This unit may have 2 good years left in it before the young bucks take over, so its now or never for Zack and JT. But I'm happy with it. The secondary is very young and there are no certains, alot of potential, but no certains. We don't have that veteran leader like we have had in the past. No Schulters, no Knight, no Surtain no Madison . . hell no Marion, no veteran leadership at all. Will Allen has been an extreme underacheiver, Will Poole is alot of hype right now, Daniels is a guy who I feel overachieved last year but is definetly not a top corner in my eyes, more suited for nickel back IMO even tho he did excellent last year. J. Allen is also hype, he is a ROOKIE, alot of people think we are gonna be like super great with him, yea maybe in the future, but his impact probably wont be so significant this year. I like Bell and Tillman but they are more suited for depth purposes, I mean the potential is amazing, but alot of pieces got to fit for them to be special. The biggest benefit will be the offense hopefully allowing the defense rest more and the defense knowing that they don't have to win the game for us, and that if they give up a score the offense can go out and put another one up wit ease . . that was our biggest addition on D right there . . a better offense.

G-Force said:
Maybe when the contact drills and preseason starts the players will end my worries. That is what I'm hoping for anyway. I thought none of them had started a season before but I was wrong. Hill played in all 16 for the Raiders last year. Not sure if that is good or bad though.

Hill took more money to play with the Raiders............and obviously playing on that defense kind of hurt the progress he made with the Cardinals.

enigmatics said:
Hill took more money to play with the Raiders............and obviously playing on that defense kind of hurt the progress he made with the Cardinals.
I don't know he had 78 tackles I beleive and only one pick. Thats not a bad tackle total and I'm sure with Norv running things they were alot of defenders out of place alot. His stats in Ari wasn't too high so I guess he went somewhere to showcase his skills and Saban liked what he saw.

Not drooling, but cautiously optimistic. I have small concerns about the secondary and hope that our LB's pan out. I am not an advocate of using draft picks in the supplemental draft, but would welcome a LB to begin molding right now. From what I have been reading, the ones available are already in shape and just need to get read into the scheme (no small task there).

The one area that I would be concerned about is the Phin's defense. They lost some guys and filled the holes with so-so players.

larfo2224 said:
Not drooling, but cautiously optimistic. I have small concerns about the secondary and hope that our LB's pan out. I am not an advocate of using draft picks in the supplemental draft, but would welcome a LB to begin molding right now. From what I have been reading, the ones available are already in shape and just need to get read into the scheme (no small task there).

Agreed, one thing everyone should remember that defense is a unit not parts.

Check out what Vic Carucci said today about Saban doing some coaching with the secondary:

"I've always believed that the better head coaches avoid micromanagement as much as possible. I've always believed that those who have had the greatest amount of success in this league have surrounded themselves with strong assistant coaches and been willing to delegate responsibilities to them. However, I can't argue with Nick Saban's insistence on being intricately involved in the coaching of Miami's secondary. Saban played defensive back at Kent State and was a secondary coach for the bulk of his lengthy career as a college assistant coach -- as well as for his first two seasons as an assistant with the Houston Oilers. It is Saban's belief that he can make a good cornerback great, and there is nothing to suggest he is kidding himself or the Dolphins. Something tells me that free-agent pickup Will Allen will make significant strides in his game this season. Something also tells me that Jason Allen, the Dolphins' first-round draft pick, will make accelerated progress as a rookie."

Let's hope that Saban can make some great ones out of our secondary this year.
:rocker:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9495672

dolfan4eva said:
We set the franchise sack record last year. Need I say more.

Your defense is also a year older. The Bills were #2 in the league for 2 straight years and then hit rock bottom last year. Nobody knows what the season has in store.

dolfan4eva said:
We set the franchise sack record last year. Need I say more.

Great Point. That was the first year in a completely new defense too.

Your defense is also a year older.
Every defense is a year older..:D We actually got alot younger on Defense. Sure Zach, JT, Carter, and Vonnie are around 31. But the secondary is a world of difference and We've got alot of promising young guys in the front 7 now (Crowder, Roth, Wright(s) )

We need as many hardcore Dolphin fanatics as possible to audition for "Fins Force" man. We need as many loud, fired up fans as we can to make some serious noise this fall at the games ... and try to keep everyone else at the game fired up and making noise. The more hot looking women the better...they can usually get the guys in the stands a little more revved up. :D

No doubt about it, the Dolphins fans need to do their part and be that 12th man on the field. I think it makes a HUGE difference in how well the Dolphins play.

http://www.miamidolphins.com/pressbox/pressreleases/pressreleases.asp?contentID=4526&lid=4526

Back
Top Bottom