AP source: Dolphins owner mulling possible shakeup | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

AP source: Dolphins owner mulling possible shakeup

gafin

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Two people familiar with the situation say Miami Dolphins owner Stephen Ross has been meeting with his top advisers before deciding whether to fire anyone in the wake of the team's late-season collapse.

One of the people said the meetings began Sunday night and will resume Thursday, and a decision could come then. That person said that during the Dolphins' loss Sunday to the New York Jets, Ross became so upset he turned away at one point because he could no longer watch.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ap-source-dolphins-owner-mulling-162046265--nfl.html

Same article here:

http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/01/01/3847267/ap-source-dolphins-owner-mulling.html

Last edited by a moderator:
"...discussions regarding a possible organizational shake-up have been private.
Second-year offensive coordinator Mike Sherman is considered the most likely to be fired."

Replacing a coordinator isn't a "shake-up."

Stephen Ross, there's a huge turd sitting on your tongue. How do you not taste it??? :bobdole:

Its funny to me how we're the only organization to talk about "mulling possible changes" instead if just making the damn change like everybody else.

"Ross is concerned about the impact of the late collapse on attendance, which has sagged during the playoff drought"

He doesn't play this right, he'll see a lot more empty seats.

"Ross is concerned about the impact of the late collapse on attendance, which has sagged during the playoff drought"

He doesn't play this right, he'll see a lot more empty seats.
There is an awful lot riding on Ross' decision for this organization going forward.

Firing Sherman and keeping Philbin is a mistake. Philbin can't motivate. Anyone who uses cards for speeches is not a leader of men!

Firing Sherman and keeping Philbin is a mistake. Philbin can't motivate. Anyone who uses cards for speeches is not a leader of men!
I am not going to go into what makes a leader but the team came out flat there was no motivation and a serious lack of drive and desire.

At least it sounds like he really is considering doing something. I had started to think that he wasn't even really thinking about a change. Of course his "top advisers" could recommend doing nothing.

So are the Tennessee Titans in determining Mike Munchak's fate.

Philbin isn't getting fired. You can take more time when deciding the fates of the GM and coordinators.

Its funny to me how we're the only organization to talk about "mulling possible changes" instead if just making the damn change like everybody else.

Not enough people are discussing what happens if Ross demands Joe fire Sherman and Joe balks...

I bet Sherman would resign at that point, but many HC's have been canned when asked to shake up there staff.

Not enough people are discussing what happens if Ross demands Joe fire Sherman and Joe balks...

I bet Sherman would resign at that point, but many HC's have been canned when asked to shake up there staff.
Joe should have stepped in earlier in the season with Sherman's play calling. How is Joe the head coach with no play card on him to see what is being called? Is that blind faith in Sherman's play calling?

Philbin and Sherman are two peas in a pod. I'm not sure what the answer is, but it doesn't seem like firing Sherman and keeping Philbin is it. Unless there is a whiz - bang great candidate like Chip Kelly who wants the job, I'd be more inclined to weather the storm and keep this coaching staff another year. Let them finish their three year plan. At that point if we are not in the playoffs and looking like we are trending upwards, we get a new GM and let him bring in his own coach.

By then at least potential coaching candidates will realize that Ross doesn't have a hair trigger on their jobs, there is no Ireland factor to worry about, and there are solid building blocks including a good young QB upon which to build something exceptional. At that point we look like a much more attractive place to a new coach and GM candidate.

Joe should have stepped in earlier in the season with Sherman's play calling. How is Joe the head coach with no play card on him to see what is being called? Is that blind faith in Sherman's play calling?

Maybe. Deferring responsibilities. I always ripped Joe during the interview process that he never called plays in GB.

Philbin and Sherman are two peas in a pod. I'm not sure what the answer is, but it doesn't seem like firing Sherman and keeping Philbin is it. Unless there is a whiz - bang great candidate like Chip Kelly who wants the job, I'd be more inclined to weather the storm and keep this coaching staff another year. Let them finish their three year plan. At that point if we are not in the playoffs and looking like we are trending upwars, we get a new GM and let him bring in his own coach.

By then at least potential coaching candidates will realize that Ross doesn't have a hair trigger on their jobs, there is no Ireland factor to worry about, and there are solid building blocks including a good young QB upon which to build something exceptional. At that point we look like a mu chore attractive place to a new coach and GM candidate.
Nice post bro. From Ross' point of view can he take less than full home games, getting beat up left and right from the fan base and the media. People in the football circle will say are the Miami Dolphins committed to winning?

Back
Top Bottom