AP source: Dolphins owner mulling possible shakeup | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

AP source: Dolphins owner mulling possible shakeup

I did the same thing... Only I muted the TV and stared into space rather than straight turning away.

In addition to talking to the 'experts", Ross should talk to our team standouts and get a sense of what the team is thinking. I would factor that into the decision heavily.

We have "standouts"??? Seriously, Ross needs to consult with the Punter to find out what needs to be done?!?!?

How does a "shake up" happen and the HC skates by?

It's still shocking to me that people think Ross would make such a snap decision so quickly. Let's be clear, he was comfortable at 8-6 that this staff was staying next year. You don't decide in 1 or 2 weeks to destroy your entire organization at the last minute with no planning or list of possible candidates.

If he fired them now, he would be in a REAL pickle. He has no direction and no resources placed on starting a whole new coaching search or gm search. Ross is not prepared to decide the next 3 years of his team at this moment in time. Ross will move forward with his previous decision and use the offseason and next year to survey the landscape to make such a monumental change.

And shaking up a tree is not the same as cutting it down. When you shake up something you only change it in less major fashions.

At most, Sherman will be reassigned or fired. Maybe a few other staff changes but the biggest name on the block is Sherman. And with as much respect as Ross has for Philbin and Philbin has respect for Sherman... Sherman is safe.

Some lesser assistant will fall on the sword. People need to embrace the reality.

EDIT: If I were a betting man, I say our OL, RB and QB Coaches get the axe. Maybe a D position coach as well. The OL Coach is an EASY offering put on the plate of Ross. His ceremonial firing will be followed with the executive decision to bring serious resources to bear on fixing the Offensive Line.

Seriously, a few tweaks and this team was in the playoffs. Had we won the Baltimore game we could have lost to Jets and Buffalo and still made the playoffs.

Keep things in perspective. Pick the low hanging fruit and keep the tree.

I believe nothing of significance will happen, but the notion that Ross can't fire the coach until he has someone else lined up is what made us the laughingstock of the NFL when he went after Harbaugh. The fact is, the owner needs to have desired prospects in mind all season in case any one of a number of scenarios come to fruition. If bully gate didn't create a list of replacements, Ross is truly inept. I would like to see Philbin retain his job, but I do believe Ireland and Sherman need to be released.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I will say this again and take any bashing for saying it.Ross is not comitted to bringing back a winning tradition here.You don't have to wait this long to get rid of your problems.

Who are his top advisors?

This is part of our leadership void at the top. There is no one with football IQ to evaluate the GM and head coach.

I was wondering the same thing. Can I be one?

Some people say he does not care, sounds to me like he does. I know I have to quit watching a lot of times.

Ross is a brilliant business man. He has a good idea of what it is he wants to do but wants to know if it will be effective in meeting his goals. So what is happening here is that Ross's public relations people have orchestrated a leak to try and see what the reaction around the league and in the fan base might be if all he does is fire Sherman. His goal is to make the minimum level of changes that will be required to keep season ticket sales from collapsing next year. He really doesn't want to change anything at all, but understands he has a PR problem that will effect his bottom line if he continues with things as they are today.

They all have to go.

Right along with a lot of the players on this team who seem to have no heart or desire. This is not a well built team. It has a bunch of guys who are more interested in goofing around and having drinks than winning football games.

I can't understand any of the sentiment that leads to us keeping Philbin, and changing his staff and firing Ireland. Philbin sets and controls his staff. If his staff hasn't done an adequate job (and I would argue that his staff has done a terrible job), then that has to fall on Philbin. Realistically, Philbin relies completely on his staff. During game days, Philbin doesn't call defensive or offensive plays. I have never seen a head coach more disengaged from what is going on in front of his face. It almost seems like his only decision-making on gameday is whether to throw the red challenge flag and when to call timeouts. He is never engaged with Tannehill. He never talks to his offensive or defensive players. Rarely pulls aside players after mistakes or bad penalties. He seems to think that a head coach's job is to remain above the fray and observe. I can't take another season of this. I remember being completely, utterly sick of Sparano's antics. I feel the same way watching Philbin stare into space as his team crumbles around him.

I have no problem if at 8-6 Ross thought everyone was coming back, but the fact is, his billion dollar investment collapsed in the space of two weeks. Everyone let him down, top to bottom. His offense scored one TD in its last 25 possessions. His defense couldn't sack Thad Lewis or Geno Smith once, and rarely pressured them, period. This was a total team collapse. When that happens, opinions formed must change. Everyone needs to fired.

I think everyone is assuming they know what Ross is going to do. Let's not forget there still is the investigations report still to come out.

I think we need to step back and not expect Ross to act in an emotional reactionary manner. It's not how a real estate investor thinks.

I do think Ross needs to have some sort of plan going forward. I do believe 2 weeks ago he was planning on being in the playoffs. Suddenly he's now mulling where to take the franchise forward.

I don't think we can expect a guy to have a plan drawn up for an circumstance that wasn't foreseeable.

Something is going to happen. What, and to who is yet to be seen.

I think Philbin and Ireland will both be gone. Aponte will take the NFL job she's been rumored to, and we'll build the organization from the ground up replacing all the weight that's been around for some time.

Ross is a brilliant business man. He has a good idea of what it is he wants to do but wants to know if it will be effective in meeting his goals.

Maybe. I have another theory... I have a close friend who is a very good businessman. He started flipping houses a few years ago and has built that into a company that is now building developments. He knows exactly what he wants to do and where he's headed. But he has one flaw (for lack of a better word) in that he never considers the possibility that something might not go his way. He only sees the best possible outcomes in his mind and becomes absolutely perplexed if things don't go the way he envisioned. I think Ross might fall into that category. He doesn't know what to do now because he never considered we could wind up here.

You know you suck when you cant sack or pressure thad lewis or geno smith all game long.

It is really interesting to remember that after the Martin-Incognito debacle, it was pretty clear that there were issues within the coaching staff. There were questions about whether the coaches knew about what was happening between Martin and Incognito. There were comments stating if the coaching staff didn't know, it was clear that they were too disengaged. The team was a national punchline. An embarrassment. This was all happening in the midst of a 4-game losing streak that destroyed all of the momentum built during the surprising 3-0 start.

It basically seems like getting to 8-6 wiped this midseason slate clean. Why?? This team was in complete disarray for almost half of the 2013 season. Should we give credit to Philbin for keeping the team together and almost making the playoffs, or should we hold him accountable for nearly running this franchise into the ground to begin with???

I was never of the opinion that the bullying "scandal" should have been a huge national story. But I was of the opinion that Philbin lacked so much control and involvement that the guy he deemed to be his starting LT out of training camp walked out on his team. We can argue the mental state and toughness of Martin, but this is a guy Philbin counted on. I am 100% certain that Philbin was involved in drafting Martin, then anointing him a starter two years in a row.

Let's not completely forget about this drama and Philbin's role in it. It had a huge impact on the 2013 season in a lot of ways.

Back
Top Bottom