AP source: Dolphins owner mulling possible shakeup | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

AP source: Dolphins owner mulling possible shakeup

Firing Sherman and keeping Philbin is a mistake. Philbin can't motivate. Anyone who uses cards for speeches is not a leader of men!
If the organization's future success is indeed hinging on whether the head coach's speeches to the team after games are cued to him by bullets on an index card, then there needs to be a tremendous overhaul in the leadership among the players.

It's still shocking to me that people think Ross would make such a snap decision so quickly. Let's be clear, he was comfortable at 8-6 that this staff was staying next year. You don't decide in 1 or 2 weeks to destroy your entire organization at the last minute with no planning or list of possible candidates.

If he fired them now, he would be in a REAL pickle. He has no direction and no resources placed on starting a whole new coaching search or gm search. Ross is not prepared to decide the next 3 years of his team at this moment in time. Ross will move forward with his previous decision and use the offseason and next year to survey the landscape to make such a monumental change.

And shaking up a tree is not the same as cutting it down. When you shake up something you only change it in less major fashions.

At most, Sherman will be reassigned or fired. Maybe a few other staff changes but the biggest name on the block is Sherman. And with as much respect as Ross has for Philbin and Philbin has respect for Sherman... Sherman is safe.

Some lesser assistant will fall on the sword. People need to embrace the reality.

EDIT: If I were a betting man, I say our OL, RB and QB Coaches get the axe. Maybe a D position coach as well. The OL Coach is an EASY offering put on the plate of Ross. His ceremonial firing will be followed with the executive decision to bring serious resources to bear on fixing the Offensive Line.

Seriously, a few tweaks and this team was in the playoffs. Had we won the Baltimore game we could have lost to Jets and Buffalo and still made the playoffs.

Keep things in perspective. Pick the low hanging fruit and keep the tree.

If the organization's future success is indeed hinging on whether the head coach's speeches to the team after games are cued to him by bullets on an index card, then there needs to be a tremendous overhaul in the leadership among the players.

Not after a game, but before the game and during halftime, while they don't show up in your beloved statistics, they can motivate players. But I do agree that the team lacks leadership from the players. That has to absolutely be a consideration when bringing in FAs and drafting. This team has an organization-wide leadership void.

Who are his top advisors?

This is part of our leadership void at the top. There is no one with football IQ to evaluate the GM and head coach.

IF Ross is looking to make a change to put fans in the seats, Cower or Gruden are the only two who would do that, and they have said that they don't want to return to coaching.

Ross became so upset he turned away at one point because he could no longer watch.
Some people say he does not care, sounds to me like he does. I know I have to quit watching a lot of times.

Some people say he does not care, sounds to me like he does. I know I have to quit watching a lot of times.

I'm sure he cares. He just doesn't understand the game and doesn't understand that the person he hired to acquire talent for his team is an incompetent buffoon.

Not enough people are discussing what happens if Ross demands Joe fire Sherman and Joe balks...

I bet Sherman would resign at that point, but many HC's have been canned when asked to shake up there staff.

That is potentially happening with the giants right now. Ownership wants gilbride gone, but coughlin doesn't want to fire his friend that he has been working with since 1995

Joe should have stepped in earlier in the season with Sherman's play calling. How is Joe the head coach with no play card on him to see what is being called? Is that blind faith in Sherman's play calling?

Philbin seems very uninvolved to me. But I don't interpret that as not being on the same page with Sherman. It's interesting, that while it seems that Sherman is going to be the sacrificial lamb, and for good reason imo, Sherman also let it be known that he DOES prefer a balanced run/pass attack, and said it was Philbin who told him to not worry about it and just pass more.

I don't like Philbin. But we're going to go into year three with him, guaranteed.

Blind loyalty got Shanahan canned in Denver when he backed his Defensive Coordinator and Shanahan had a much better tenure than Philbin.

Sounds like we might find out something one way or the other in the next day or two, hopefully.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree that an "organizational shakeup" is more than firing the OC. I think that points to Ireland

Seriously, a few tweaks and this team was in the playoffs. Had we won the Baltimore game we could have lost to Jets and Buffalo and still made the playoffs.

It's funny how so many people are satisfied with the concept of simply making the playoffs. You can play to go one and out in the playoffs or you can play to win the Super Bowl. To hell with this simply making the playoffs crap. I want to see us build a team that can win the Super Bowl. And to build that team the Dolphins will need to make serious changes in all aspects of the organization including the General Manager, the scouting staff, the coaching staff and about half the roster. If the Dolphins are serious about winning a Super Bowl then they need to start making these changes NOW.

It's still shocking to me that people think Ross would make such a snap decision so quickly. Let's be clear, he was comfortable at 8-6 that this staff was staying next year. You don't decide in 1 or 2 weeks to destroy your entire organization at the last minute with no planning or list of possible candidates.

If he fired them now, he would be in a REAL pickle. He has no direction and no resources placed on starting a whole new coaching search or gm search. Ross is not prepared to decide the next 3 years of his team at this moment in time. Ross will move forward with his previous decision and use the offseason and next year to survey the landscape to make such a monumental change.

And shaking up a tree is not the same as cutting it down. When you shake up something you only change it in less major fashions.

At most, Sherman will be reassigned or fired. Maybe a few other staff changes but the biggest name on the block is Sherman. And with as much respect as Ross has for Philbin and Philbin has respect for Sherman... Sherman is safe.

Some lesser assistant will fall on the sword. People need to embrace the reality.

EDIT: If I were a betting man, I say our OL, RB and QB Coaches get the axe. Maybe a D position coach as well. The OL Coach is an EASY offering put on the plate of Ross. His ceremonial firing will be followed with the executive decision to bring serious resources to bear on fixing the Offensive Line.

Overall your comments make good sense, but i think the team has quit Philbin, Shermin and Coyle. How else can 2 weeks of uninspired play when we had a chance to make the playoffs? This team quit.
That is the 800lb gorilla in the room. Will the players agree? If not, next year this staff will be playing out the stream. In addition to talking to the 'experts", Ross should talk to our team standouts and get a sense of what the team is thinking. I would factor that into the decision heavily.

Back
Top Bottom