Are Dolphins actually better than their 3-4 record? We'll get better idea vs. Jets | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Are Dolphins actually better than their 3-4 record? We'll get better idea vs. Jets

In the words of the Big Tuna...."You are what your record says you are."
I agree with that when evaluating a season, but I'll disagree over 'parts of a season.' It's apparent to everyone Miami has been playing better as they have become more comfortable with the scheme assignments. Faster D and fewer blown assignments on the OL. Plus, VJ has de-emphasized the wide 9 and Gase's play-calling is much better. All those seem to have the team playing better. I don't think the TALENT is any better, but it isn't the keystone cops they were the 1st 4 games.

they say joe Thomas is available...I find it hard to believe but Minnesota has to look into that

cause status quo and it's a wrap for 2016...the bears front isn't even that good and they wrecked them

I agree with that when evaluating a season, but I'll disagree over 'parts of a season.' It's apparent to everyone Miami has been playing better as they have become more comfortable with the scheme assignments. Faster D and fewer blown assignments on the OL. Plus, VJ has de-emphasized the wide 9 and Gase's play-calling is much better. All those seem to have the team playing better. I don't think the TALENT is any better, but it isn't the keystone cops they were the 1st 4 games.

The next chess match will be when are running game is not working or slowed down. Will see how Gase adapts to that. Hoping they put in a couple more plays out of the bye week. Of course players have been off this whole time will see what coaches come up with.

they say joe Thomas is available...I find it hard to believe but Minnesota has to look into that

cause status quo and it's a wrap for 2016...the bears front isn't even that good and they wrecked them

Todays poll question

ProFootballTalk
2h
ProFootballTalk‏ @ProFootballTalk
Should the Vikings do whatever they have to do to get Joe Thomas today?

Yes, keep going all in.

No, keep the draft picks.

5,255 votes · 21 hours left

seattle lost it's starting left tackle for the year...offense did squat even against the new Orleans saints tragic d

mission critical folks...mission damn critical

True but what we are thus far is inconsistent. You don't get over that by winning two games. We need to string together a few more games. Imagine if this starting o-line (and D-line) was together from game 1. Our record may look a bit different. Unfortunately "injured" is our normal when it comes to the o-line.

The next chess match will be when are running game is not working or slowed down. Will see how Gase adapts to that. Hoping they put in a couple more plays out of the bye week. Of course players have been off this whole time will see what coaches come up with.
Certainly true . . . I don't want to discount game-panning and adjustments. And I expect the Jets to commit to stopping the run over and above their DL. The good news, IMO, is Miami doesn't need another 200yd rushing game, but it needs enough success on the scoreboard they don't have to abandon it. Getting back to "actually better," a number (most) of posters here have said since last winter the team should be judged by it's last 8 games. I agree. BUT, that means the 2nd half team won't be the same as the 1st half team. Record tells a lot, but doesn't account for a new HC/system.

It would be nice to see the passing game take off this week. Most everything else has improved so it's due. Not that it has been terrible. Deep passing has been great. Tannehill has made some clutch throws as well. They just need to be more consistent. More play action. Get Parker involved as well as the new TE's. That would free up the run game a bit against a stingy front 7. Catch them in the nickle and run it.

Crappy O-line play is an epidemic in the NFL right now and a lot of it has to do with the limited contact in practice in today's NFL. Just one of the many units being hurt by the CBA. They were talking about it last night.

Oh and Russell Wilson hasn't thrown a TD in 3 games...on pace for 11 passing TDs this year. Try and tell me again how not having a running game won't hurt Russell Wilson.

True but what we are thus far is inconsistent. You don't get over that by winning two games. We need to string together a few more games. Imagine if this starting o-line (and D-line) was together from game 1. Our record may look a bit different. Unfortunately "injured" is our normal when it comes to the o-line.
Don't know if we disagree or not. I agree with inconsistency - a trademark of Miami for WAAAAYYY too long. And I expect everyone here knows the danger of placing much hope on two wins. Tangentially, in my previous post, I started to mention OL injuries in the 1st few games, but didn't - part of football. One significant question you bring up for this team is becoming consistent - physical, mental, execution. THAT, to me, is the importance of the Jets game. It serves as a measuring stick for the consistency part. *IF* Miami maintains it's consistency, it will be a big step towards being "actually better" than 3-4. In any case, I don't think this team is as bad as it looked against Browns/Titans.

Don't know if we disagree or not. I agree with inconsistency - a trademark of Miami for WAAAAYYY too long. And I expect everyone here knows the danger of placing much hope on two wins. Tangentially, in my previous post, I started to mention OL injuries in the 1st few games, but didn't - part of football. One significant question you bring up for this team is becoming consistent - physical, mental, execution. THAT, to me, is the importance of the Jets game. It serves as a measuring stick for the consistency part. *IF* Miami maintains it's consistency, it will be a big step towards being "actually better" than 3-4. In any case, I don't think this team is as bad as it looked against Browns/Titans.

I certainly thing they have the potential to be a much different team in the second half of the season. There are a lot of bad teams around the league. We could definitely separate ourselves. That darn AFC West though!

Russell wilson not having his legs due to injury is hurting them also...he's not the run threat...his legs are critical for his game...

the tackle attrition with starting left tackles especially is crazy this year...

I'm interested in whether Gase can beat the Bills and Jets. Unless that is something he can do around least 50% of the time, I'll be worried. But if he starts beating them more than they beat us, then we may have a keeper.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

yeah the west is the spur in our foot right now and I hear Roethlisberger is doing some field work also this week...so within a couple weeks I'd think he'd be back...and we know once he does come back pitts going to make a run

Crappy O-line play is an epidemic in the NFL right now and a lot of it has to do with the limited contact in practice in today's NFL. Just one of the many units being hurt by the CBA. They were talking about it last night.

Oh and Russell Wilson hasn't thrown a TD in 3 games...on pace for 11 passing TDs this year. Try and tell me again how not having a running game won't hurt Russell Wilson.

64, 52, and 40 yards from Michael certainly isn't enough in that 3 game stretch.

Back
Top Bottom