Are Dolphins losing confidence in DT Earl Mitchell? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Are Dolphins losing confidence in DT Earl Mitchell?

fisi

Active Roster
Reaction score
The Miami Dolphins' brass will publicly say all the right things when it comes to starting defensive tackle Earl Mitchell. He is a hard worker with a high motor and played well at times last year. These are all true statements.
However, the Dolphins' actions behind the scenes this offseason provide a different tone.
Last month Miami used a valuable second-round pick on former Oklahoma nose tackle Jordan Phillips. And on Tuesday, the Dolphins hosted former Detroit Lions starting defensive tackle C.J. Mosley, according to a team source.
For the Dolphins to draft a younger player and host a veteran at Mitchell's position speaks volumes. Mosley played 15 games (including eight starts) for the Lions last season. He had good chemistry and played well next to new Dolphins defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh. Detroit had the NFL’s No. 1 run defense partially thanks to Suh and Mosley.
Meanwhile, the Dolphins' run defense last season was inconsistent and ranked No. 24 in the NFL. Mitchell wore down and didn’t play his best football at the end of the year, which is why Miami looked for other options. Mitchell recorded 33 tackles and two sacks in his first season with Miami.
It remains to be seen if the Dolphins and Mosley go any further than Tuesday's visit. But the message is clear that Mitchell needs to step up his game and be more consistent this season at defensive tackle.

http://espn.go.com/blog/miami-dolph...olphins-losing-confidence-in-dt-earl-mitchell

Mitchell was definitely a disappointment and I think if they liked him they wouldn't have drafted Philips and now signed Mosley

Mosley has... "I'm buddies with suh and we work well together" vibe written all over him. Phillips was a BPA. I don't know that either is exactly a mark against Mitchell. why not *shore* up a strength with more strength? our Dline should be unbeatable.

The cap cost for Mitchell this year is $4.5M. If we move him, it will cost us $1.5M with a $3M cap savings. That's not a lot unless we get something good back in return.

Mosley has... "I'm buddies with suh and we work well together" vibe written all over him. Phillips was a BPA. I don't know that either is exactly a mark against Mitchell. why not *shore* up a strength with more strength? our Dline should be unbeatable.

You may well be right but, have a feeling that something else is brewing in the Dolphins FO.

You may well be right but, have a feeling that something else is brewing in the Dolphins FO.
we're under the cap this season, and unless we get a rookie that we just can't let hit the market/practice squad, there is no reason to go chasing cap room. Unless they have a rookie AND need rollover room, then you might be onto something.

we're under the cap this season, and unless we get a rookie that we just can't let hit the market/practice squad, there is no reason to go chasing cap room. Unless they have a rookie AND need rollover room, then you might be onto something.

I'm thinking more of a trade for a vet, who will cost on the cap.

The Miami Dolphins' brass will publicly say all the right things when it comes to starting defensive tackle Earl Mitchell. He is a hard worker with a high motor and played well at times last year. These are all true statements.
However, the Dolphins' actions behind the scenes this offseason provide a different tone.
Last month Miami used a valuable second-round pick on former Oklahoma nose tackle Jordan Phillips. And on Tuesday, the Dolphins hosted former Detroit Lions starting defensive tackle C.J. Mosley, according to a team source.
For the Dolphins to draft a younger player and host a veteran at Mitchell's position speaks volumes. Mosley played 15 games (including eight starts) for the Lions last season. He had good chemistry and played well next to new Dolphins defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh. Detroit had the NFL’s No. 1 run defense partially thanks to Suh and Mosley.
Meanwhile, the Dolphins' run defense last season was inconsistent and ranked No. 24 in the NFL. Mitchell wore down and didn’t play his best football at the end of the year, which is why Miami looked for other options. Mitchell recorded 33 tackles and two sacks in his first season with Miami.
It remains to be seen if the Dolphins and Mosley go any further than Tuesday's visit. But the message is clear that Mitchell needs to step up his game and be more consistent this season at defensive tackle.

http://espn.go.com/blog/miami-dolph...olphins-losing-confidence-in-dt-earl-mitchell

2 + 2 = 17

Mitchell was definitely a disappointment and I think if they liked him they wouldn't have drafted Philips and now signed Mosley

We did lose Odrick and Starks. We were also much better against the run in 2013 when we had Odrick, Soliai, Starks and Vaughn Martin/Marvin Austin/Isaako Aaitui combined to play in 9 games. A four man rotation would certainly help keep everyone fresh for the whole season.

I'm thinking more of a trade for a vet, who will cost on the cap.

lol, what exactly do people think we're going to get for Mitchell in a trade...oh wait, let me guess...a 1st round pick? A pro bowl player from another team? Mitchell was a late free agent signing...meaning he didn't have a lot of teams vying for his services. I seem to remember it being Miami and the Texans (his former team) and he chose Miami because he wanted to play in the 4-3 and not the 3-4.

I don't see it as a clear message to Mitchell. Phillips was on the top of their board when it came time to pick in round #2. He was the BPA at that moment and they pulled the trigger. The reason we moved quickly to sign Mosley is that it brings back together a tandem that was #1 against the run last season for the Lions. Also, we want to do everything that we can do to insure that Suh has all the tools surrounding him to have an awesome season. We spent a fortune on him and it's of major importance that he is dominant. Suh plays very well with Mosley, he came available, the price was right so boom, we sign him. Competition at every position is only going to make our team better. We are now in amazing shape at DT, I still think Mitchell is your opening day starter with Mosley and Phillips as your next guys up, after that someone's going to get cut in the next group Johnson, Francis etc. A very good player is going to get a pink slip. We are finally building a roster he right way. Bottom line, we're a better team with Mosley, because of him somebody's going to lose their job, I just don't see that person being Mitchell.

We did lose Odrick and Starks. We were also much better against the run in 2013 when we had Odrick, Soliai, Starks and Vaughn Martin/Marvin Austin/Isaako Aaitui combined to play in 9 games. A four man rotation would certainly help keep everyone fresh for the whole season.

2013 we allowed 124.9 yards per game rushing
2014 we allowed 121.1 yards per game rushing

2013 we allowed 7.1 rushing first downs per game
2014 we allowed 6.2 rushing first downs per game

2013 we allowed .9 rushing tds per game
2014 we allowed .8 rushing tds per game

When I saw what Kansas city did to this team early last year, I knew we had problem. Then by the Denver game it was all over. The defensive line needed major overhaul and am very intrigued by their approach so far. I didn't think signing Suh or drafting Philips could happen. Kudos!

lol, what exactly do people think we're going to get for Mitchell in a trade...oh wait, let me guess...a 1st round pick? A pro bowl player from another team? Mitchell was a late free agent signing...meaning he didn't have a lot of teams vying for his services. I seem to remember it being Miami and the Texans (his former team) and he chose Miami because he wanted to play in the 4-3 and not the 3-4.

He actually signed first day of free agency

Back
Top Bottom