Are Fins gearing up for 2013 ? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Are Fins gearing up for 2013 ?

fishfanmiami

Let's go Dolphins
Administrator
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
Lots of one year contracts for the minimum and a ton of cap space for 2013. Several top players have expiring contracts next year. Sound like rebuilding to me.

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thedailydolphin/2012/06/18/glut-of-1-year-and-expiring-contracts-portray-a-miami-dolphins-team-gearing-up-for-2013/

"Add it all up, and the Dolphins currently have 25 veterans with expiring contracts after the 2012 season, including many of their key pieces. It certainly explains why they have a ton of salary cap space for 2012 – approximately $60 million worth.And it certainly explains why 2012 is a “bridge” year to 2013 and beyond, when franchise quarterback Ryan Tannehill will be ready to take over."
Thoughts ?

We could ask this same question every single year. There will always be impending free agents and there will always be a new season on the horizon. I know we are in a football drought, but questions like this are frankly boring.

But if 2012 isn’t a “rebuilding” year – and they are “rebuilding” both the offense and defense with new schemes – then it’s definitely a “bridge” year to 2013 and beyond as a season for Philbin to examine the roster and assess which players will and won’t be a part of the future.
It's not just about 2013, it also about the years after that. Joe Philbin wants to build through the draft and develop those players that are brought in to hopefully build a team that will compete for championships year in and year out.

We could ask this same question every single year. There will always be impending free agents and there will always be a new season on the horizon. I know we are in a football drought, but questions like this are frankly boring.

Ya, but its a new topic anyway; instead of the items that have been up for the last week....

And to think the fanbase was livid because we didn't go out and piss away a ton of cash in FA.
Most thought the Dolphins and Ireland were just clueless and missed out but in reality they are setting up to win in the future.
I like their plan.

With new offense and new defensive coordinators this year, don't be surprised if changes happen (B Marshall). This year the coaches can see which current players fit the scheme and give them time to adjust. With the abundant free agent market in 2013, key pieces can be brought in if needed. Philbin realizes the importance of the draft so I believe he won't go crazy in free agency.

And to think the fanbase was livid because we didn't go out and piss away a ton of cash in FA.
Most thought the Dolphins and Ireland were just clueless and missed out but in reality they are setting up to win in the future.
I like their plan.

Don't say that too loud or some might think you've been drinking the kool-aid or have blinders on and can't see how much this team is going to suck this year.

Jake Long is the only "key" piece I see on that list.

really ?

Impending Free Agents
LT Jake Long
RB Reggie Bush
QB Matt Moore
WR Brian Hartline
CB Sean Smith
DT Randy Starks
TE Anthony Fasano
P Brandon Fields
SS Chris Clemons
FS Tyrone Culver
OL Nate Garner
OL Ryan Cook

Sure might look like it, but try flying that around a player whose production might kick him to the street next year, or a vet like Starks...it´s about today!!

Actually I think many of these players are under the microscope this year. Philbin probably wants his own guys just as most new coaches do. i think they will build though the draft and get away from the Parcells blue print . i think we will see somewhat smaller , quicker finesse type players instead of huge road grader types.

really ?

Impending Free Agents
LT Jake Long
RB Reggie Bush
QB Matt Moore
WR Brian Hartline
CB Sean Smith
DT Randy Starks
TE Anthony Fasano
P Brandon Fields
SS Chris Clemons
FS Tyrone Culver
OL Nate Garner
OL Ryan Cook

That is what this season is going to determine. Which of those impending free agents are going to be resigned.

Reggie Bush will have to stay healthy and/or Lamar Miller will have to disappoint.
Brian Hartline will have to seperate himself for the youngsters.
Sean Smith will have to be more consistent and also seperate himself from the youngsters.
Randy Starks will just have to return to the pro bowl form he had in 2009 & 2010.
Anthony Fasano will have to prove himself as by far the most versatile of all the TEs and not price himself out of a job.
Brandon Fields will have to continue to do what he does and not price himself out of a job.
Chris Clemons will have to return to his 2010 form, stay healthy and just make the plays he is position to make.
Tyrone Culver will just have to do what he has always done.
Nate Garner will have to be who he is...the most versatle offensive lineman on the roster.
Ryan Cook....?

Sure might look like it, but try flying that around a player whose production might kick him to the street next year, or a vet like Starks...it´s about today!!

Philbin just needs to be competative this year and I think we will be but i would imagine his long term goals are much higher. All the players are starting from scratch and he owes no one anything for past performances. I'm sure the vets will get a chance to show they belong but in the end he will shape the team into his type players.

jake long (10mil) randy starks (5mil) brian hartline (3mil) sean smith (4 mil) reggiebush (5mil) thats about what i think those players will earn per year on new contracts. i may have highballed some and lowballed others. but it still only adds up to about 30 million per year and i doubt it thats much for them. still leaves us with plenty of room to sign other people.

Back
Top Bottom