Are Fins gearing up for 2013 ? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Are Fins gearing up for 2013 ?

According to the chatter at the Miami Herald,
http://miamiherald.typepad.com/spor...rting-cast-fins-marlins-um.html#storylink=cpy
### Now that they have extended Cameron Wake, the Dolphins are mulling which potential 2013 free agents they should sign next. Randy Starks and Anthony Fasano said Miami has not made offers (though Starks will be eventually, from what we hear), and Reggie Bush surprisingly has not been approached.

Jake Long said he is unaware of any contract talks, but Miami will use the franchise tag on him next spring if a deal isn’t reached. Expect offers eventually to Brian Hartline and Sean Smith, entering the last year of their deals….
I think the Dolphins are going to take a wait and see approach with their impending free agents before approaching them with either extensions or new contracts.

I think there is a good nucleus of vets here but I'm not the coach. The point of the article was the Fins will be in good shape if the certain players do not perform. Lots of options with all the one year signing and players who's contracts expire next year. We also have an extra 3rd round pick next year and some of these guys could be good trade bait for draft picks.

Philbin just needs to be competative this year and I think we will be but i would imagine his long term goals are much higher. All the players are starting from scratch and he owes no one anything for past performances. I'm sure the vets will get a chance to show they belong but in the end he will shape the team into his type players.

It does seem like everything changed when we brought in Philbin. As a team we seem to have a new plan (or some would argue, a plan period).

I would expect every player every year to be under the microscope but even more so under a new HC and coaching staff. Plus, as stated, we are looking for players with different skill sets.

As for FA spending, I'm always semi amazed that "fans" do not spend the time to look into the salary cap numbers before they go screaming to sign "this guy" etc. Trading away $9-10 million worth of B Marshall fit into this idea. Instead, we drafted our 1st 'pass catching" TE is many years in Michael Egnew, who I doubt is making over $350K-400K a season and we still have another 3rd rounder next season to use on a wR etc.

Lots of one year contracts for the minimum and a ton of cap space for 2013. Several top players have expiring contracts next year. Sound like rebuilding to me.

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thedailydolphin/2012/06/18/glut-of-1-year-and-expiring-contracts-portray-a-miami-dolphins-team-gearing-up-for-2013/

"Add it all up, and the Dolphins currently have 25 veterans with expiring contracts after the 2012 season, including many of their key pieces. It certainly explains why they have a ton of salary cap space for 2012 – approximately $60 million worth.And it certainly explains why 2012 is a “bridge” year to 2013 and beyond, when franchise quarterback Ryan Tannehill will be ready to take over."
Thoughts ?
I think so although realistically maybe 2014. I believe the plan is to sit Ryan Tannehill for most of this season, meaning he would be a full-time starter in 2013 and hopefully taking a big step forward by 2014. By then the front office should have enough time to put together the missing pieces, sign the players we need to sign and take off.

I think so although realistically maybe 2014. I believe the plan is to sit Ryan Tannehill for most of this season, meaning he would be a full-time starter in 2013 and hopefully taking a big step forward by 2014. By then the front office should have enough time to put together the missing pieces, sign the players we need to sign and take off.

Patience is a virtue i've never had but if it means getting to a place where we are contending for the title every year I'm all for it.

Jake will be resigned -
HArtline, Smith - need too have great years --
starks- 3/4 or 4-3 can play both but is starting to get up there, no injurys yet for him. depends on how odrick plays DE in 4-3- could be trade bait for a 4th or 5th
Bush,clemons really depend on how they perform this year- Bush needs too stay healthy, with miller an thomas in the wings could be expandable if he dont play well or is hurt. Clemon - needs too stay healtthy!!!
Fasano with a 3rd round TE and the rookie the signed before the draft plus clay - is a bit crowded even this year.

Patience is a virtue i've never had but if it means getting to a place where we are contending for the title every year I'm all for it.

51 wins 77 losses, 6 losing seasons, 5 new HC over the past eight years...I would say any Dolphin fan that has stuck with the team over the past 8 years can now claim to be "virtuous."

Jake will be resigned -
HArtline, Smith - need too have great years --
starks- 3/4 or 4-3 can play both but is starting to get up there, no injurys yet for him. depends on how odrick plays DE in 4-3- could be trade bait for a 4th or 5th
Bush,clemons really depend on how they perform this year- Bush needs too stay healthy, with miller an thomas in the wings could be expandable if he dont play well or is hurt. Clemon - needs too stay healtthy!!!
Fasano with a 3rd round TE and the rookie the signed before the draft plus clay - is a bit crowded even this year.

They are keeping thier power dry. Perform and get paid. Don't and it's see ya.
Remember Parcell's always went after "his" players. Guys he drafted or traded for. Most coachs are like that and I believe Philbin will want his guys. Since he's a first year coach expect all the draft choices to make the team. They are his guys.

---------- Post added at 06:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:03 PM ----------

51 wins 77 losses, 6 losing seasons, 5 new HC over the past eight years...I would say any Dolphin fan that has stuck with the team over the past 8 years can now claim to be "virtuous."

i see your point.

LOL, You hit the nail on the head!!

What a nutty thread. Gearing up to reward a bunch of overpaid under performers with big contracts?

LOL, You hit the nail on the head!!

What a nutty thread. Gearing up to reward a bunch of overpaid under performers with big contracts?

Much better than you've been making as of late....oh wait! :rolleyes2:

If we're building for the future (again) and punting this season, we really should change our mascot to the Godots.

Call it whatever you want. Whenever you have a new regime there is a bigger changover in personel.

Makes perfect sense to me to evaluate the vets on this team this year, resign the keepers and let the rest go.

This is the happiest I've been with the organization since the end of Jimmy's second year.

Back
Top Bottom