Are most Dolfans on this site homers ? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Are most Dolfans on this site homers ?

Which category do you fall into ?

• I am a homer I see us having a real shot this year and every year.

Votes: 40 23.3%
  • I think it could happen if we got all the right breaks.

Votes: 76 44.2%
  • I cant see it happening but stranger things have happened.

Votes: 47 27.3%
  • It could happen only if a few planes crashed.

Votes: 9 5.2%

• Total voters

Captain Lou

FinHeaven VIP
Reaction score
Let me First say I love the Dolphins. However, I don't think many of us on this site are too realistic when it comes to evaluating our team or it's players. There is always a dream scenario that could happen if this and that all fell into place. I see us improving this year but I still think we are atleast 2 years away from competing for a championship. Do I want it to be this year, ofcourse. The reality is we're really not that good of a football team until we prove otherwise. I think at this point mediocre is an improvement. I want us to surprize but our team has consistantly underachived. So my guess is we're 7-9 but show some real heart and signs of an improving football team instead of one with increasing question marks.

i think im pretty realistic in evaluating our players and a 7-9 record would be kind of a disappointment

I look at it like this Lou. If I was on the dolphins I would expect to go out there and win every day. Knowing a perfect season is not coming, I would then turn to a realistic expectaion of 10-6. We were in a lot of close games the past few years that could've went either way with better coaching and QB leadership. Our defense is one of the best in the league. We are the Freaking Miami Dolphins! Only organization in the NFL to go undefeated. As a lifelong dolphin fan I expect a winning season, I demand it and sometime soon I think I'm going to get it. These dolphin players expect to win now, Cam Cameron expects to win now, we as fans should expect to win now. I wouldn't call it homerism. I would call it belief in the best darn football organization ever...The Miami Dolphins Baby! Leave low expectaions to Bills, Lions, Browns, and Cardinals fans.

I don't think it is being a homer to hope for the best and to look at things optimistically. I know we have some holes and several bif "IFs" on the team (most notably the revamped o-line and Trent Green's ability to bounce back), but even so I like to believe those things can be overcome. The O-line could come together and Vernon Carey could be the answer at LT. I know he might flop but I prefer to believe he can handle the position and that's why Houck is putting him there. Trent Green may end up as 'scrambled eggs' but I prefer to think he can regain form and be a great mentor for Beck. If those things happen I see a winning record for us this year and probably breaking our 5 year play off draught.
GO FINS!!!!!

I look at it like this Lou. If I was on the dolphins I would expect to go out there and win every day. Knowing a perfect season is not coming, I would then turn to a realistic expectaion of 10-6. We were in a lot of close games the past few years that could've went either way with better coaching and QB leadership. Our defense is one of the best in the league. We are the Freaking Miami Dolphins! Only organization in the NFL to go undefeated. As a lifelong dolphin fan I expect a winning season, I demand it and sometime soon I think I'm going to get it. These dolphin players expect to win now, Cam Cameron expects to win now, we as fans should expect to win now. I wouldn't call it homerism. I would call it belief in the best darn football organization ever...The Miami Dolphins Baby! Leave low expectaions to Bills, Lions, Browns, and Cardinals fans.

great post. I agree 100%. I can see what your saying tho, Lou. There are a lot of fans on this site that talk about things they don't know about and try to explain why this will happen and how that will happen. All I know is that I expect them to win every year, I'm the #1 homer... that is unless Ray Lucas comes out of retirement, signs with the dolphins, and becomes the starting QB

I'm more of a realist myself. I have some optimism, but I know this team has a lot of holes to fill.

What I really dislike that happens a lot here, is that some of the fans will call me less of a fan because I don't blindly support everything Mueller and Cameron do or I don't think every player will project into a fantastic player. Sorry I'm not living in the clouds and actually realize that Dolphins GM's, players and coaches make mistakes.

I think everyone that loves football no matter who you root for tries not to be a homer. But, its hard not to be, man. If you're anything like me you bleed the colors and want your team to thrive so bad ya come out looking like a homer. For my money its better than the people that are always negative. I have no time for them. I root for the Pirates in baseball. Try that for a few years and stay positive. I can put up with a few lean years from my Dolphins.

I am 43 and I have been a Dolphin fan for 35 years, I think I have seen a lot from my beloved Dolphins, good, bad, mediocre.
We might be too optimistic at times, hey.. maybe most of the times, but isn't that to be a real fan? or is it better to *itch all seassons about how much better we can be?
I prefer the way most of Dolphins fans are... very optimistic, and always trying to justify our optimism.
Life is already full of dissapontments so I look at my team with lots of hopes EVERY SINGLRE YEAR.
I DO belive that great times are comming back real soon..... we all be glad to see it happen and the rest will fear the Dolphins again.
Just my humble opinion...

I don't think I'm a dolphins 'homer' but hope I'm not a pessimist either. I want them to win every game and want all the players to put in good performances but I'm not blinded and imagine they're going to win the Superbowl every year. To be honest, I don't even think they'll win the AFC East this coming season but they've got a chance and I hope they do.

I know I wittered a bit/lot but I hope that was some sort of answer.

Let me First say I love the Dolphins. However, I don't think many of us on this site are too realistic when it comes to evaluating our team or it's players. There is always a dream scenario that could happen if this and that all fell into place. I see us improving this year but I still think we are atleast 2 years away from competing for a championship. Do I want it to be this year, ofcourse. The reality is we're really not that good of a football team until we prove otherwise. I think at this point mediocre is an improvement. I want us to surprize but our team has consistantly underachived. So my guess is we're 7-9 but show some real heart and signs of an improving football team instead of one with increasing question marks.

Actually I would say that there are quite a few real fans (Not homers), and some not as big fans of this team (as yourself) as they think.

Being a fan comes from being a fanatic of the team, which at times will allow you to maybe see a bit more of what you hope then what is reality.

If someone comes in here and says this team is going undefeated, or they will win the Superbowl this year, then that may be over doing it, but it also proves theyn may be to big of fans to see reality.

On the other hand, If someone continues to work so hard at trying not to look like a homer, that they underestimate this team and it talent and says think they will win 7 games or less, they may not be as big a fan of this team as they think.

This team won 9 games two years ago, and last year had an incompitent O-coordinator, a Questionable starting QB, and a HC that pretty much gave up on the team by 2/3 of the season....all problems that have been fixed, if you still can not see this team maybe having some success, then maybe the question you should be asking is not how many Homers are there here, but am I really as big a fan of this team as I think.

I've got bad news for you. If you are waiting 2 yrs for this team, it will be for naught because the defense will need significant re-building. I don't foresee ZT, JT, JP and Holliday playing at an exceptionally high level at that point (if they are even on the team). That means that RM and CC better draft defense often and early in the next few drafts AND those picks better be impact picks.
IMO the only thing holding this team back the last 2 yrs was a solid QB. I don't believe the O-line is as bad as some make it out to be. The Pats won their 1st SB with a pretty average O-line. The WR's are above average and so are the RB's.
I don't see why it is unrealistic to think this team could challenge for a playoff spot. In this day and age 2 yrs is an eternity. Teams can turn things around in 1-2 seasons. This team hasn't improved the last 3 yrs because of poor coaching and below average QB play (lack of talent and lack of consistency).

Actually I would say that there are quite a few real fans (Not homers), and some not as big fans of this team (as yourself) as they think.

Being a fan comes from being a fanatic of the team, which at times will allow you to maybe see a bit more of what you hope then what is reality.

If someone comes in here and says this team is going undefeated, or they will win the Superbowl this year, then that may be over doing it, but it also proves theyn may be to big of fans to see reality.

On the other hand, If someone continues to work so hard at trying not to look like a homer, that they underestimate this team and it talent and says think they will win 7 games or less, they may not be as big a fan of this team as they think.

This team won 9 games two years ago, and last year had an incompitent O-coordinator, a Questionable starting QB, and a HC that pretty much gave up on the team by 2/3 of the season....all problems that have been fixed, if you still can not see this team maybe having some success, then maybe the question you should be asking is not how many Homers are there here, but am I really as big a fan of this team as I think.

SONIC BOOM :koolbang:

The reality of it...is that ANY given sunday, you can win or you can lose. We were 4-12 in 2004 with AWFUL RB's...only Chambers as a true threat at WR...and a terrible QB...and then alll of a sudden after we got a new coach in Saban we were 9-7 and he revamped our good D to a GREAT D. Look at San Diego from 2003-2004 ....4-12, 12-4.
New Orleans from 2005-2006....3-13, 10-6

heres an interesting stat about the Chargers the year they turned it around
They went from 16.5 points per game (29th) to 27.4 (3rd) in 04. Gee...Cam Cameron arrived...drafted rookie O-linemen..had Houck tutor them...and brought a new scheme to the O and look what happened. That 16 points per game looks awfully familiar...(look at ours)

The saints OVERHAULED their entire roster, over 50% of their players...and they managed to have an amazing season...

You can point the finger at Brees since he was on both those teams but the fact of the matter is...hes just not THAT good...it was the coaching changes...the player changes, the scheme changes...lookat the history of the NFL and every time a team has a miraculous turn around its because they;re surprising everyone with the new...thats exactly what we could do this year, we WILL be a winning team...just depends how many we'll be over .500

Back
Top Bottom