Are most Dolfans on this site homers ? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Are most Dolfans on this site homers ?

Which category do you fall into ?

• I am a homer I see us having a real shot this year and every year.

Votes: 40 23.3%
  • I think it could happen if we got all the right breaks.

Votes: 76 44.2%
  • I cant see it happening but stranger things have happened.

Votes: 47 27.3%
  • It could happen only if a few planes crashed.

Votes: 9 5.2%

• Total voters
I'm more of a realist myself. I have some optimism, but I know this team has a lot of holes to fill.

What I really dislike that happens a lot here, is that some of the fans will call me less of a fan because I don't blindly support everything Mueller and Cameron do or I don't think every player will project into a fantastic player. Sorry I'm not living in the clouds and actually realize that Dolphins GM's, players and coaches make mistakes.

Couldn't agree more

I think it's ridiculous to call any fan who thinks their team has a shot at the Super Bowl at the beginning of the season a "homer". If we didn't think our team had a shot at the Super Bowl, or at least the playoffs, why would we watch? It would be completely pointless. Now, when the team starts out 1-6, and there's no signs of improvement.....saying we'll win out, and ride the winning streak to the Super Bowl is "homerism". Although I'll never fault anyone for optimism. So, in short, if thinking/hoping at this point that our team has a shot at the Super Bowl, or playoffs, is being a "homer"....sign me up for that "homer" kool-aid!!!!!!!!!:D

I guess it all depends on the year for me. Every year up to 2004 I thought we had a real shot to make the playoffs and win the SB. 2005 I was expecting anywhere from a 6-10 to 8-8 rebuilding year. 2006 I was expecting the division, and now I would fall under the "if we get all the right breaks" category. I think Cam Cameron has done a lot of good things this offseason, so we have a decent chance of taking the league by surprise.

It doesn't matter what i think. All I care about is the Fins going out there every week and laying the smackdown against whoever they are playing. They realistically have a shot every weekend. Go Fins!

I think I would prefer to be around a bunch of "Homers" much more than I would a bunch of doom and gloomers. There are plenty of the doom and gloomers lurking in the shadows and they love to pounce on the opportunity to paint the Dolphins, Cam Cameron, Randy Mueller and the rest as losers. I know we have all seen them. Most have a Jets, Bills or Patriots next to, or somewhere in their name. Some pose as Dolphin fans but in reality they are only here to stir up hate and discontent. I have been critical of different aspects of the team but it doesn't bother me to hear someone rave about the Dolphins, I think its great.
If someone is looking for something pessimistic about the Dolphins, watch close, you will find the doom and gloomers and they will give you all the negativity you want.

I've got bad news for you. If you are waiting 2 yrs for this team, it will be for naught because the defense will need significant re-building. I don't foresee ZT, JT, JP and Holliday playing at an exceptionally high level at that point (if they are even on the team). That means that RM and CC better draft defense often and early in the next few drafts AND those picks better be impact picks.
IMO the only thing holding this team back the last 2 yrs was a solid QB. I don't believe the O-line is as bad as some make it out to be. The Pats won their 1st SB with a pretty average O-line. The WR's are above average and so are the RB's.
I don't see why it is unrealistic to think this team could challenge for a playoff spot. In this day and age 2 yrs is an eternity. Teams can turn things around in 1-2 seasons. This team hasn't improved the last 3 yrs because of poor coaching and below average QB play (lack of talent and lack of consistency).

I was thinking the exact same thing....our offense "may" be ready in 2 years, but our defense will be 2 years older......

I'm more of a realist myself. I have some optimism, but I know this team has a lot of holes to fill.

What I really dislike that happens a lot here, is that some of the fans will call me less of a fan because I don't blindly support everything Mueller and Cameron do or I don't think every player will project into a fantastic player. Sorry I'm not living in the clouds and actually realize that Dolphins GM's, players and coaches make mistakes.

Amen.

i think im pretty realistic in evaluating our players and a 7-9 record would be kind of a disappointment

I agree. With a new system and speedy offense I dont see any reason why we do not control our own destiny from opening day. Every year every team has a legitimate shot at making it. It all comes down to who has the better shot with the moves they have made a so forth. Did anyone think we could have shut out the Patriots last year. I bet most would say no. did anyone think we would be shut out by the lowly Bills the week after. I bet most would say no. Every week anything is possible and I do realistically think it is possible that we win 10 games this year. S***, the Jets did it last year for gods sake with rookies on the OL and a barely above average QB. TG is capable of being the 2nd best QB in the division and we may have 2 rookies starting on the OL as well. Anything is possible. I'm saying 10 wins

As if I even need to say how much I agree with this.

I am 43 and I have been a Dolphin fan for 35 years, I think I have seen a lot from my beloved Dolphins, good, bad, mediocre.
We might be too optimistic at times, hey.. maybe most of the times, but isn't that to be a real fan? or is it better to *itch all seassons about how much better we can be?
I prefer the way most of Dolphins fans are... very optimistic, and always trying to justify our optimism.
Life is already full of dissapontments so I look at my team with lots of hopes EVERY SINGLRE YEAR.
I DO belive that great times are comming back real soon..... we all be glad to see it happen and the rest will fear the Dolphins again.
Just my humble opinion...

Good post. I totally agree with you. The Dolphins will always be THE team for me.

Let me First say I love the Dolphins. However, I don't think many of us on this site are too realistic when it comes to evaluating our team or it's players. There is always a dream scenario that could happen if this and that all fell into place. I see us improving this year but I still think we are atleast 2 years away from competing for a championship. Do I want it to be this year, ofcourse. The reality is we're really not that good of a football team until we prove otherwise. I think at this point mediocre is an improvement. I want us to surprize but our team has consistantly underachived. So my guess is we're 7-9 but show some real heart and signs of an improving football team instead of one with increasing question marks.

That's what's great about the offseason, it's all about the imagination. Why do you think the draft is so big? Because all fans like to dream. Nothing wrong with that. As for whether we are 7-9, or 9-7, or whatever, We'll just have to wait for the season to begin. Personally, I think that as with all things there are a couple of "if's" that will determine our success. If Trent Green can stay healthy, then we should get a couple of more victories from last year just because of the quality of our defense and how poor QB play contributed to most of our losses last year (not to mention offensive play calling). IF our O-line can play better and gel together quicker than it did last year, then that's another game or two. Personally, I am hoping for 10-6, but wouldn't be surprised with 8-8 or 9-7.

I think our Defense will be at least as good as it was last year, possibly better. On the one hand we got Joey Porter, definitely an upgrade despite what some haters have said, on the other hand we lost Kevin Carter, but with all the talent we have on that D-line which is actually pretty young when one considers players like Saolai, Wright, Roth, etc. I don't think we'll even notice the absence of Kevin Carter.

I believe that we improved in the following areas in the offseason:

1. Offensive Play calling
2. Quarterback - Trent Green/Cleo Lemon are better than Duante culpepper/Harrington from last year.
3.Kick & Punt Return - Ted Ginn Jr. - Don't underestimate this. If he plays like what we expect, then this should help significantly with regards to field position and it will help our defense and our offense.
4. Jay Feeley. We lost at least two games last year that I remember that we could've won if Olindo had made his field goals, the game against the Titans comes to mind right off the bat for example.
5. Secondary. Moving Jason Allen to Cornerback is a good idea, he should be able to contribute in the nickel package this year, and the secondary should be more settled down from day one this year than last year and not have Nick Satan screaming at them will only help.

Those 5 things give me reason for optimism this year and should add up to 2-4 more wins this year from last year. Having said that, the Patriots really improved, and I don't see how we can beat them. The Jets got Thomas Jones, which is pretty big, but if they lose Pete Kendall, that could be interesting. The Bills, definitely got worst this off season with all of the losses that they had on both offense and defense, which also helps us in my opinion, and our schedule is easier this year than it was last year. This is why I'm optimistic, but we'll see when they actually play the games...

I'm no homer... not at all. I call 'em like I see 'em.

What I see is a team with a very good defense, a scary special teams, and an offense with absolutely no identity... but the potential to redefine themselves.

The only "homer" I know appears on Fox sunday nights and likes Donuts...DoH!

Now if the question is "Are you always positive towards the Dolphins"?

YES I AM.

I like our new prospects, I like our older players, I like our uniforms, I like spending 100 hours waiting for us to draft players, and then reading every single bit of analysis about those players.

I think the administration makes mistakes concerning players like McMike, and Joey, and DC, but I also think we have sneaky core of really good, albeit, no name talent coming up in Miami, for every "Zach is old" we have Channing Crowder in the wings, we finally have great positional coaches like Dom and Cam, we have a gM who is "spot on" and we have a talent at the skill positions like Brown, Carey and Ginn.

And maybe John Beck.

We're good, let's go to war this season and see what happens....:ninja:

I've got bad news for you. If you are waiting 2 yrs for this team, it will be for naught because the defense will need significant re-building. I don't foresee ZT, JT, JP and Holliday playing at an exceptionally high level at that point (if they are even on the team). That means that RM and CC better draft defense often and early in the next few drafts AND those picks better be impact picks.
IMO the only thing holding this team back the last 2 yrs was a solid QB. I don't believe the O-line is as bad as some make it out to be. The Pats won their 1st SB with a pretty average O-line. The WR's are above average and so are the RB's.
I don't see why it is unrealistic to think this team could challenge for a playoff spot. In this day and age 2 yrs is an eternity. Teams can turn things around in 1-2 seasons. This team hasn't improved the last 3 yrs because of poor coaching and below average QB play (lack of talent and lack of consistency).

This is exactly what I was thinking. We were 9-7 2 years ago, I believe the Dolphins can win every year. It's not like I get my hopes up either, I enjoy every win each year. Even if its only 6. But if we dont win this year the Dolphins are gonna be rebuilding their Defense for 2 more years and then after that we will rebuilding our offense. If they cant find the pieces and use the tools we have now, we might be in more trouble than first anticipated. All we need is for our O-Line to be solid, then Green can work whats left of his QB magic. Our Defense is going to make people cry again this year i.e (Bears fans last year):sidelol:I hope the Fins break even this year 8-8 would make me more than happy. But making the playoffs would be WAY better and winning the division SWEETNESS. I am realistic but it is a lot of fun being optimistic. So if u want to call me a Homer than so be it, we are all still fins fans, I have been one since I was 2 years old and my dad was telling me about this rookie Dan Marino 1985. GO DOLPHINS!!

Let me First say I love the Dolphins. However, I don't think many of us on this site are too realistic when it comes to evaluating our team or it's players. There is always a dream scenario that could happen if this and that all fell into place. I see us improving this year but I still think we are atleast 2 years away from competing for a championship. Do I want it to be this year, ofcourse. The reality is we're really not that good of a football team until we prove otherwise. I think at this point mediocre is an improvement. I want us to surprize but our team has consistantly underachived. So my guess is we're 7-9 but show some real heart and signs of an improving football team instead of one with increasing question marks.
Pretty rough you are there Capt.I for one look forward to the coming year(as always)but when you say what you did and also call MOST too realistic and homers.It seems you're not a fan of the Dolphins at all.Maybe you did'nt phrase the thread correctly?:err:

Back
Top Bottom