Are most Dolfans on this site homers ? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Are most Dolfans on this site homers ?

Which category do you fall into ?

• I am a homer I see us having a real shot this year and every year.

Votes: 40 23.3%
  • I think it could happen if we got all the right breaks.

Votes: 76 44.2%
  • I cant see it happening but stranger things have happened.

Votes: 47 27.3%
  • It could happen only if a few planes crashed.

Votes: 9 5.2%

• Total voters
Anybody can make the SuperBowl so how is it possible to judge who's predictions are right and who's are wrong.It is a pretty tough task to pick the 2 Superbowl opponents before the season so how do you evaluate who is a homer and who is a realist? Many times the favorite loses making the realists wrong and the homers look good and sometimes the favorites win and the homers just look homey.The best teams dont always make the Superbowl IMO due to soft schedules or weak divisions creating more wins and leading to playoff byes and more rested players.Luck plays a big part of how things turn out.Everbodys predictions are right until proven wrong. The NFL is not an exact science.

Nice way to stir up the masses. As a lifer growing up in front to the black and white TV watching the Fins I expect the winning season. I'm tired of the hoo-haw play calling and running the offense behind the old ho-hum line. I look forward to the new coach who has the belief that the offense should be used to win the game not just to give the Defense a rest. This new line should allow more offense to happen running and passing. What a concept something from a real playbook. And I thank you again for stirring up the masses. Maybe as fans we can stir up the team for a lot of wins.:cooldude::evil:

I look at it like this Lou. If I was on the dolphins I would expect to go out there and win every day. Knowing a perfect season is not coming, I would then turn to a realistic expectaion of 10-6. We were in a lot of close games the past few years that could've went either way with better coaching and QB leadership. Our defense is one of the best in the league. We are the Freaking Miami Dolphins! Only organization in the NFL to go undefeated. As a lifelong dolphin fan I expect a winning season, I demand it and sometime soon I think I'm going to get it. These dolphin players expect to win now, Cam Cameron expects to win now, we as fans should expect to win now. I wouldn't call it homerism. I would call it belief in the best darn football organization ever...The Miami Dolphins Baby! Leave low expectaions to Bills, Lions, Browns, and Cardinals fans.

Thank you. :yeahthat: Do you guys seriously think JT and Zach got up this and every other morning to lift with the idea of winning in 2 years.? Get real. Everyone on the team that is a true competitior believes we are going to play games this year with the idea of winning a world title. THATS WHY THEY PLAY.

To think that there is some kind of rebuilding process in the NFL is a joke. Maybe for one or two teams. Almost every game is decided by one score or less. A playoff team vs a team that might wind up 6-10 can be a close game or the 6-10 team could blow em out. ASK THE BEARS. We went on the road and stomped the best team in the NFC and were supposed to think we are 2 years away????????????????????????????????????? That was with Joey Harrington. Come on people.

To expect this team this year to not compete for a playoff spot(and therefore a world title, Ask the 05 Steelers) is just absurd. I promise you everyone on the team has designs on winning a title THIS YEAR. Is it likely, well considering there are 31 other teams with the same idea it isnt. But its certainly possible and thats why we take the field. ASK DENNY GREEN. You total pessimists who think there is a rebuilding process going on that calls anyone who thinks we have a great shot is a homer are just being ridiculous.

I've got bad news for you. If you are waiting 2 yrs for this team, it will be for naught because the defense will need significant re-building. I don't foresee ZT, JT, JP and Holliday playing at an exceptionally high level at that point (if they are even on the team). That means that RM and CC better draft defense often and early in the next few drafts AND those picks better be impact picks.
IMO the only thing holding this team back the last 2 yrs was a solid QB. I don't believe the O-line is as bad as some make it out to be. The Pats won their 1st SB with a pretty average O-line. The WR's are above average and so are the RB's.
I don't see why it is unrealistic to think this team could challenge for a playoff spot. In this day and age 2 yrs is an eternity. Teams can turn things around in 1-2 seasons. This team hasn't improved the last 3 yrs because of poor coaching and below average QB play (lack of talent and lack of consistency).

You can say that again. I cant see but a couple of teams that have less so called "holes" as we do. We have a QB that is better than what most teams have. We have a better than avg. RB. We have good receivers. We now have a great return man. And most importantly we have THE BEST FRONT 7 IN FOOTBALL. QB has killed us lately. When you have a top 5 D you are a contender automatically if you can avoid too many costly turnovers and mistakes on offense. To expect us not to win at least 8 is the complete opposite of a homer. That might be someone who dosent really like the phins too much and dosent really understand how the NFL works.

being a homer comes with being a fan, you root for your team and watch the games proving your loyalty to the team. with that being said theres also a distinct line between being a realist and being ignorant. yes i wish the dolphins would win the super bowl every year and i always find myself in the preseason weighing out games that i think we can win and always end up with a decent record because i dont want to always look at all the negatives but can you really blame me. over time i usually believe people come to their senses but ofcourse this has proven otherwise at time. in general im not going to blame anyone for being a homer for their team regardless who they root for however i will draw the line between ignorance and the truth.

I'm more of a realist myself. I have some optimism, but I know this team has a lot of holes to fill.

What I really dislike that happens a lot here, is that some of the fans will call me less of a fan because I don't blindly support everything Mueller and Cameron do or I don't think every player will project into a fantastic player. Sorry I'm not living in the clouds and actually realize that Dolphins GM's, players and coaches make mistakes.

The thing is is that I dont feel we need to count on any "projects" to come up big this year in order for us to win. Adding Porter to an already DOMINANT defense will make it better. Bringing in Green is a HUGE upgrade from what we had last year at QB. I think the fact we went 5-6 with Harrington vs. quality teams indicates with just decent mistake free QB play we could win 10 games. Its not a pipe dream and its not being a homer. Go ask the 13 teams we played against last year if they respect what the dolphins can bring this year. Anything that the draft picks add is a bonus.

On a second note related to this thread I feel any year we arent contending for a title is a disapointment. By that I mean being alive in the playoff mix all the way till the last week. Because if you get in the playoffs you have a shot. And as long as you are mathematically alive during the season, YOU HAVE A SHOT. As long as every game we play has meaning. Thats really the whole point of playing(for a true competitior and not someone in it for money). Everyone does all the year round work and dedicates themselves for the prospect of winning a title. Any team that dosent have designs on winning it all going into the start of the season isnt really a team.

In the NFL you can pretty much say all but a couple of teams have a real shot to win it all. Who had the Rams at the start when they won it all a couple of years ago? There is no rebuilding in the NFL. Maybe for a couple of perinial losers like the Cards, Browns, Bills, and Jests.

This team is preparing to win it all this year. If they dont make a legit run at it then the season is a failure. Again, by legit run I mean being in the playoffs or mathematically alive during the last week. To go into a season and feel like you would be satisfied with 7 or 8 wins is a joke. If the players felt like the best they could really hope for is 8 wins this year they would just go home. I guess by terms around here basically every real player in the league is a homer.

im a homer
LOL,,,,,,,

Can someone tell me if this is homerism,,

I believe every group on the team has improved and upgraded,

1}Quarterback-YES,definately without a doubt,,joey was the worst qb i have ever seen on this team,,trent will bring consistent accuracy to this team,,FINALLY A TRUE LEADER ON OFFENSE.

2{Running back-YES,ronnie is in his prime,he was truely learning the position the past two years,,lorenzo will bring a dimension on third down that will help the position.

3{O-LINE-YES,getting rid of macintosh,mckinney,jeno and replacing them with samson,hadnot at guard,the switch with carey,,lets just say i'll take this years crop over last years anytime anyplace.

4}Dline-push,the advantage comes from them being in the system for their 2nd year,,i sure do like what i'a hearing from solai and wright.

5}Linebackers-YES, joey frekin porter baby,thats all i have to say!

6}secondary-YES, Their 2nd year in the system,the bullfrog starting the whole season,a healthy travis daniels,and a great talent in jason allen learning the position and being a sick nickel.

7}Special teams-HELL YES,,a player that this franchise has never seen before,,a man with amazing skill and speed that can take it to the house anytime he touches the ball,,,,i've been a fan for 34 years, i can't name a player in the past that has the explosiveness of Mr. Tedd Ginn.

8{coaching-YES,Cam cameron loves this team and is widely considered to be a great offensive mind,dom capers is one of the best,the chemistry between the front office the coaches then down to the players seems very very good.

Well there you have it,,,me personally,i don't think anything i just said was homeristic,,,i do as mush research on my team than just about anybody,,but you never know,if i am one than so be it.

I look at it like this Lou. If I was on the dolphins I would expect to go out there and win every day. Knowing a perfect season is not coming, I would then turn to a realistic expectaion of 10-6. We were in a lot of close games the past few years that could've went either way with better coaching and QB leadership. Our defense is one of the best in the league. We are the Freaking Miami Dolphins! Only organization in the NFL to go undefeated. As a lifelong dolphin fan I expect a winning season, I demand it and sometime soon I think I'm going to get it. These dolphin players expect to win now, Cam Cameron expects to win now, we as fans should expect to win now. I wouldn't call it homerism. I would call it belief in the best darn football organization ever...The Miami Dolphins Baby! Leave low expectaions to Bills, Lions, Browns, and Cardinals fans.

:1st::up:

Aren't there already 35 other threads debating this topic?

Hey man you forgot your asterisks for your sig and avy. Don’t forget to make it big and bold so it can be seen!

And yes there are a lot of threads on this topic!

Well this term HOMER has been one that has bothered me very much since I have joined this wonderful community of knowledge that is FinHeaven. I have been a Fin fan for over 20 years and have always seemed to stay positive about the team I love. I have enjoyed rooting for the Dolphins through wonderful seasons and not so wonderful seasons and that is okay. Every year is a fresh start and new hopes of winning seasons endure until we are mathematically eliminated. I always have hope that we will again make it to the final game and have a chance to hoist the Lomabrdi Trophy for all Dolphins fans to celebrate.

But what really chaps my hide is when my fanaticism to a team that I love is downtrodden by some other Dolphin fans that seem to think that if you don't weigh all the variables and all of the ways a team can lose and this and that and you don't have some real pessimism then you are a Homer. There is nothing wrong with believing in your team to win when it truly can. And the Miami Dolphins can win. Like others have said "Any team can win on any given Sunday" That is what I love about the NFL.

If you look up the word Homer in the dictionary it has nothing to do with the way it is used here.

There are 5 definitions for it in the Webster's dictionary and my favorite one is : 9th–8th? century b.c. Greek epic poet

So I will consider myself an epic poet for the Miami Dolphins and say that there is nothing to be ashamed of being a homer for your team, in fact what else would you want to be, a person that calls themselves a fan of a team (which is supposed to be enjoyable) but then try to find all of the faults that their team has. Instead of rooting for them with fiery passion!

I will choose the latter for my team and choose to find the faults of our opponents that we can exploit with our weapons.

So Homers unite for we are the EPIC POETS!!

There are so many variables that until we see how they play out a little its just guesswork. To me the key is how our offensive line plays. Tell me that and I'll tell you how we do

I've been a Dolphin homer since Joe Robbie first announced the name of his new team in '66. If you don't support the fins, you're a fan for another team. Miami is the only pro team I follow religiously, my Razorbacks are my college team, and football is my greatest passion in sports.

Back
Top Bottom