are our fans really that bad in miami?! found this article from espn | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

are our fans really that bad in miami?! found this article from espn

Tiko377

Active Roster
Reaction score
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/preview08/columns/story?id=3530077

Consecutive sellouts: 77 | Season-ticket waiting list: None

The Dolphins might have the most alluring fans in the league. You won't see any sweatshirts or parkas around Miami Dolphins Stadium. Chances are pretty decent there will be bikinis and midriffs showing off tanned bodies. Problem is, the fans are supposed to enjoy watching what's on the field, not each other. A six-season playoff drought has led to rows of empty orange seats. The visiting crowd has been louder at times.
-- Tim Graham

the article is dated in august of 2008 tho

Sports fans try to compare the city of Miami to the city of Cleveland and Pittsburgh. Until you understand the city of Miami and South Florida in general, this really isn't even worth arguing about. Yeah, we don't sell out every game. God knows the Hurricanes don't. But this is Miami. In this city there's a lot more to do outdoors than say Pittsburgh or New York. Miami has millions of transplants. The people in Pittsburgh probably grew up in Pittsburgh loving the Steelers. No one is retiring in Pittsburgh. People come to West Palm Beach, Ft. Lauderdale, Boca Raton, and Miami to retire. South Florida has miles of some of the finest beaches in the country. People come dragging in drunk off of South Beach from a Saturday night of partying at 7:00AM Sunday morning. These people aren't getting up by noon to come roast in the hot sun and watch football. It just isn't going to happen.

But the city of Miami loves the Dolphins. Miami is a Dolphins town. Everyone else is a distant second. The 'Canes, the Heat, the Marlins, the Panthers...all of their popularity combined doesn't rival what the Dolphins put out there. This is the most tired argument I've heard.

If you love the Dolphins, keep loving the Dolphins. Don't stop. And don't worry about everyone else's fans and what they say. Show up on gameday and support this team.

Sports fans try to compare the city of Miami to the city of Cleveland and Pittsburgh. Until you understand the city of Miami and South Florida in general, this really isn't even worth arguing about. Yeah, we don't sell out every game. God knows the Hurricanes don't. But this is Miami. In this city there's a lot more to do outdoors than say Pittsburgh or New York. Miami has millions of transplants. The people in Pittsburgh probably grew up in Pittsburgh loving the Steelers. No one is retiring in Pittsburgh. People come to West Palm Beach, Ft. Lauderdale, Boca Raton, and Miami to retire. South Florida has miles of some of the finest beaches in the country. People come dragging in drunk off of South Beach from a Saturday night of partying at 7:00AM Sunday morning. These people aren't getting up by noon to come roast in the hot sun and watch football. It just isn't going to happen.

But the city of Miami loves the Dolphins. Miami is a Dolphins town. Everyone else is a distant second. The 'Canes, the Heat, the Marlins, the Panthers...all of their popularity combined doesn't rival what the Dolphins put out there. This is the most tired argument I've heard.

If you love the Dolphins, keep loving the Dolphins. Don't stop. And don't worry about everyone else's fans and what they say. Show up on gameday and support this team.

i do understand what ur saying but i just think that whole partying thing is a excuse. not everyone in miami parties every single saturday i am hoping that people who live in miami have families etc lol.

The party thing isn't an excuse really. It's the truth. I've seen it. It definitely affects attendance at the 'Canes games. There are families in Miami but there are also large portions of Miami, especially West Miami who live in extreme poverty. And I've never heard a city complain so much about how far away a stadium is in all my life. That's the one thing that pisses me off to no end. My friends in South Dade complain so much about having to drive a whopping half an hour North to the stadium. I live in South Carolina and fly down for EVERY Hurricanes home game and I stay in Lauderdale when I fly down. I never complain. Miami is a city full of celebrities and these people love to party. Miami is a flashy party town. Sports will always take a backseat. I'm sorry but that's just how it is. Things have changed since the 1980's when the Hurricanes were dominating college football and the Dolphins were in the AFC mix almost every year.

The party thing isn't an excuse really. It's the truth. I've seen it. It definitely affects attendance at the 'Canes games. There are families in Miami but there are also large portions of Miami, especially West Miami who live in extreme poverty. And I've never heard a city complain so much about how far away a stadium is in all my life. That's the one thing that pisses me off to no end. My friends in South Dade complain so much about having to drive a whopping half an hour North to the stadium. I live in South Carolina and fly down for EVERY Hurricanes home game and I stay in Lauderdale when I fly down. I never complain. Miami is a city full of celebrities and these people love to party. Miami is a flashy party town. Sports will always take a backseat. I'm sorry but that's just how it is. Things have changed since the 1980's when the Hurricanes were dominating college football and the Dolphins were in the AFC mix almost every year.

i live in CA, LA area and i can almost say the same exact thing of how the community is with celeb's clubs etc.... people still have and always will love the lakers because of there history and there current place.

Things have changed since the 1980's when the Hurricanes were dominating college football and the Dolphins were in the AFC mix almost every year.

If we still played in the Orange Bowl nothing would have changed.

There was nothing like that venue for football and the home field advantage it created.

The Lakers have a much bigger history than the Dolphins. The Lakers are arguably the biggest and strongest franchise in the NBA (Boston Celtics). The Dolphins have a storied history but let's face it, we may not even be in the top 5 frachises of the NFL. The Cowboys and Steelers are much bigger than the Dolphins when you consider fan bases across the country. The Redskins are there as well. You can ake an argument for the Packers. After those teams you're looking at large followings for the Raiders, Browns, Eagles and Giants.

There was nothing like that venue for football and the home field advantage it created.

Bingo.

Place was full of personality...it's like the bar you go to every week, people know your name, what you drink.

Landshark Stadium is like Chili's...no personality, they just make drinks, no time for conversation, etc. It may look nicer, but the charm just isn't there.

I loved the Orange Bowl like no one else. I miss that stadium so damn much. I hate that it's gone but I find it hard to believe that the Orange Bowl would solve all of out problems. The last game at the Orange Bowl for the Hurricanes (which was actually two years ago on Tuesday) we didn't even sell out. We brought roughly 62,000 to that game. The Orange Bowl definitely brought that community together and it was more than just a place for the Dolphins and Hurricanes.

Bingo.

Place was full of personality...it's like the bar you go to every week, people know your name, what you drink.

Landshark Stadium is like Chili's...no personality, they just make drinks, no time for conversation, etc. It may look nicer, but the charm just isn't there.

It's not the same at all. Every single Saturday that I'm at LandShark tailgating I'm thinking about tailgating at the Orange Bowl. Parking on some dude's lawn. Little Havana. Walgreen's across the field. West End Zone craziest. The unmentionable things I seen in the Orange Bowl bathrooms. Banging on the big metal sign fromt he upper bowl that read "The City of Miami Welcomes You to the Orange Bowl" on big third downs. LandShark Stadium is a great stadium but it's just dull like every other modern day stadium.

I guess that makes the Broncos a bad fanbase seeing the Steelers over run their stadium the other night. Bleh, heard it before. Start producing something on the field..you might see a change. You saw it towards the end of last year and the home games more or less this year have look packed.

I guess that makes the Broncos a bad fanbase seeing the Steelers over run their stadium the other night. Bleh, heard it before. Start producing something on the field..you might see a change. You saw it towards the end of last year and the home games more or less this year have look packed.

yeah i gotta agree if we build something more consistant we will see the dolphins not take a backseat in miami as much

Miami fans just aren't idiots and if you don't put a winner on the field they will find other this to do because this city actually has other things to do. Would you really want our fans to be like Browns fans and no matter what crap they put on the field these morons just keep shelling out their money?

I personally like the fact that the owner knows we won't stand for that and we want a winner or at least an honest attempt to produce one or we won't go. That doesn't mean we aren't still loyal fans of the team it just means we aren't suckers.

dolphins fans can be a bit too whiney. They whine all the time even when were winning. Always questioning something as if they should be head coach.

This is a character building year in a process of becoming the best.

Next up: Two good WR's with size and a TE.

Back
Top Bottom