Are the days of the true pocket passer numbered? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Are the days of the true pocket passer numbered?

Aqua Marino (UK)

Active Roster
Reaction score
So many QB’s coming out of college are athletic which seems a really valued trait these days my question is are true pocket passers going to be a thing of the past?

If we look at some of the top QB’s in the NFL Mahomes, Rodgers, Wilson and young studs like Watson, Allen, Burrow and even our own Tua can run a little, will we see less and less pocket passers in the future?

I know Brady just won the SB but after him who’s the next great pocket passer? Brees is likely done, Rivers has already hung them up and the new QB’s in the draft all look athletic Lawrence, Wilson, Lance, Fields with only really Mac Jones a pocket passer who’s predicted to be in the 10-20 range.

Are we seeing a changing of the guard? I used to love watching Peyton Manning and of course in my younger days Dan Marino. Could pocket passers be a dying breed or is it just a phase right now with some good prospects to come such as Slovis?

Would love to hear what you guys think about this?

I have stated that college programs can win without the true pocket passing so it isn’t necessary for them to evolve their prospects into pocket passers

That is why imho teams can find athletic tall one read QBs who take a lot of contact each and every draft but what percentage sign their second contract with the team that drafts them??

IMO it's just tougher to be a limited to the pocket. I don't think it's impossible, but you're ability from the pocket has to be really good. You have more leeway if you can also move the chains with your feet. Now I still believe you have to be effective from the pocket to have long term success, but the NFL has gotten better at utilizing running QBs. Teams can be successful with running QBs who are only "good enough" from the pocket. This is what we've seen with Lamar Jackson.

So many QB’s coming out of college are athletic which seems a really valued trait these days my question is are true pocket passers going to be a thing of the past?

If we look at some of the top QB’s in the NFL Mahomes, Rodgers, Wilson and young studs like Watson, Allen, Burrow and even our own Tua can run a little, will we see less and less pocket passers in the future?

I know Brady just won the SB but after him who’s the next great pocket passer? Brees is likely done, Rivers has already hung them up and the new QB’s in the draft all look athletic Lawrence, Wilson, Lance, Fields with only really Mac Jones a pocket passer who’s predicted to be in the 10-20 range.

Are we seeing a changing of the guard? I used to love watching Peyton Manning and of course in my younger days Dan Marino. Could pocket passers be a dying breed or is it just a phase right now with some good prospects to come such as Slovis?

Would love to hear what you guys think about this?
Good question to ponder during the slow part of the offseason. A debate that has neen ongoing for awhile now.

My take is being able to improvise off script is a valuable added asset, but the pocket passer is still king until it's definitively prove otherwise.

Not going to comment on guys that have yet to play an NFL snap. What's the point?

All the top guys you mentioned are "pocket passers" first by design. Their other attributes are icing on the cake. They can all stand in the pocket and deliver the rock on time.

Look at a couple other guys as examples. Murray and Jackson come to mind. Yes, Jackson had an MVP season, and does amazing things with his phenomenal athletic ability. Yes Murray was ROY, and also pulls off some jaw dropping, WOW plays.

Niether will get their team over the hump, IMO, unless they become better at pre/post reads and execute from the pocket.

A top caliber defense can stop one or two guys. Five or six executing a sound offensive scheme, in unison at a high level, not so much.

So many talented, multidimensional quarterbacks now, who can excel in the pocket or use their athletic abilities to extend plays.

That's what every team is looking for and it certainly makes the game more exciting.

I think there will still be a few pocket passers in the league, but that's definitely not the norm anymore.

I think the pocket passer is still king. Most of the top tier “elite” QB’s are pocket types....with perhaps Rogers adding a bit of mobility to the role. Mahomes is breaking that mold.....so is Watson, Jackson and Murray......and I suspect their style will become more dominant.

All I know is I gave up on evaluating QBs. Thought Lamar Jackson and Kyler Murray were going to be busts so now I just keep my mouth shut. I clearly don’t understand the position anymore lol
I feel the same way. My last successful take was that Johnny Manziel would bust. But that was personality more than talent IMO.

I think the pocket passer is still king. Most of the top tier “elite” QB’s are pocket types....with perhaps Rogers adding a bit of mobility to the role. Mahomes is breaking that mold.....so is Watson, Jackson and Murray......and I suspect their style will become more dominant.
Those players make up for their lack of pocket presence by using their athletic ability to scramble. Staying inside the pocket and moving one feet to the right or left avoiding somebody's arm is almost like a martial art. Fran Tarkenson was one of the few qbs in his era to use elusiveness and genius level concentration to create time.

I think a great pocket passer will always have a place. I just think that development of pocket passers is lessening while nfl teams no longer think it's Bush league to try and use a different type qb.

People assume you need to be like Jackson to be successful in the NFL. Moving inside the pocket is an art. Arm release and timing beats that misconception that pocket passers are dead.
While that's all true, if two guys are equally adept at the pocket passing aspect, including reads, command of the scheme, etc, the guy that can also make off schedule plays when things break down, and go to hell can keep drives alive at crucial moments.

It's a fine line for a QB to walk. First of all, optimally, you don't want your QB to take a lot of unnecessary contact, and a lot of these more athletic guys have played that way their whole lives, and old habits are hard to break when the pocket is breaking down. Then, as someone else mentioned, because they have played that way successfully at the lower levels, they haven't developed the instincts to quickly make pre/post reads.

There are fans who see and like excitement and flash, but mistake that for being efficient and schematically sound.

I agree, a pure pocket passer can still be very effective if he has good pocket awareness, and a quick release.

I almost hate to bring up Marino, as it was a different era with different rules and philosophy, bit he was once listed by that NFL top tens series as one of the most elusive QBs (top 5 IIRC) and he rarely moved more than seven yards from his spot. He had an innate ability to feel pressure and move a couple steps up or laterally, while keeping his eyes downfield, to avoid it.

Bruce Smith, who knows a little bit about pass rushing, said Marino was a nighmare, and the toughest guy to sack he played against.

You're always going to have pocket passers. They just need to be in the right offense do do well for the most part.
Are there any consistent, truly great offensive systems that don't feature pocket passing schemes?

I can't think of any, without going back to the "three yards and a cloud of dust" days.

Back
Top Bottom