Are the Dolphins concerned with character? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Are the Dolphins concerned with character?

buffalofanatic

Scout Team
Reaction score
It seems that Saban is very open to taking chances on players with "character issues". Does this concern any fans? An example that you could compare the Dolphins to would be the Bengals. The Bengals have a coach who believed that he could work with these types of players, but it is starting to catch up to them...as it always does. Are there any worries that the Dolphins may be taking too many of these types of players. I say this because I read the article about them being a front-runner for Ahmad Brooks in the supplemental draft. Last year they took another "character issue" guy in Wright in the supplemental draft and he had some issues in his first year. Thoughts?

you forgot to mention marcus vick. im just miffed that they havent taken a chance on a "proven" character issue guy such as t.o. or ty law. i know this was because of money as opposed to their off field problems, but cmon, if were gonna take a chance on people with problems, lets get someone good. that could help this team right away.

fightinfinfan22 said:
you forgot to mention marcus vick. im just miffed that they havent taken a chance on a "proven" character issue guy such as t.o. or ty law. i know this was because of money as opposed to their off field problems, but cmon, if were gonna take a chance on people with problems, lets get someone good. that could help this team right away.

Excellent point. At least you are pretty sure you'll get production from one of those guys.

terrible point. Nick is looking for value, buy cheap sell high. He has spoken of his "process" of evaluation and it sounds as if each guy is as thoroughly checked out as possible. If Vick goes teats up tomorrow we lose nothing.
but cmon, if were gonna take a chance on people with problems, lets get someone good. that could help this team right away.

I'm glad you are not the coach

Character/durability concerns for a 10mil a year player are a totally different story. The risk is very limited when the investment is small. Ricky, Vick, Wright, Brooks all very talented at bargain value.

AirChambers84 said:
Character/durability concerns for a 10mil a year player are a totally different story. The risk is very limited when the investment is small. Ricky, Vick, Wright, Brooks all very talented at bargain value.

Not true. You're not giving the other players in the locker room any sort of credit. Yes, you don't get hit with the money on the cap, but the damage that a "character issue" player can do in the room is unmeasurable. You never know what that might be, but you can't just dismiss that part of the equation.

I doubt someone who barely has a chance of making the PS is much of a locker room influence (Vick), Ricky is still friends with most our players and hangs out with Ronnie, Wright is flat out lazy, but not disruptive like the 2 other guys you mentioned like Law and TO, besides, a player is a locker room problem when he is important to the team, not when you can cut him any time you want to.

buffalofanatic said:
It seems that Saban is very open to taking chances on players with "character issues". Does this concern any fans? An example that you could compare the Dolphins to would be the Bengals. The Bengals have a coach who believed that he could work with these types of players, but it is starting to catch up to them...as it always does. Are there any worries that the Dolphins may be taking too many of these types of players. I say this because I read the article about them being a front-runner for Ahmad Brooks in the supplemental draft. Last year they took another "character issue" guy in Wright in the supplemental draft and he had some issues in his first year. Thoughts?
Read up on Brad Butler, the Bills second fourth round pick. Then come back and talk to us about players with character issues. Really, this whole subject has been hashed and rehashed in the Depths.

buffalofanatic said:
Not true. You're not giving the other players in the locker room any sort of credit. Yes, you don't get hit with the money on the cap, but the damage that a "character issue" player can do in the room is unmeasurable. You never know what that might be, but you can't just dismiss that part of the equation.
I agree with your point, but I think it is measurable in wins and losses. It took a SB team from the previous year to a 6-10 record last year in the Eagles case with the T.O. fiasco. Of course, other factors could have been at play like McNabb injury.

I do think if you take a chance on a turd it should be on a unproven turd. A proven turd like T.O. or Law will automatically become a team "leader" bc of playing ability and a team can get divided when the turd begins to smell. Some players might think he may be a poop but the poop can play so play the poop. While others think just flush the poop. If it is an unporven player like Vick or Brooks I assume most of the team will agree to just flush the poop.

Man, all this turd and poop talk is making me have to go to the bathroom.

I think Saban looks at those guys as his "coaching challenges." I'm sure nothing is more rewarding than turning a guys life around. Obviously he loves doing it with Ricky and Vick. He also showed interest in TO and now Ahmed Brooks. I think he is one of the few guys who can handle players with character issues.

EBMisfit said:
Read up on Brad Butler, the Bills second fourth round pick. Then come back and talk to us about players with character issues. Really, this whole subject has been hashed and rehashed in the Depths.

Come down he is a Fins fan up at Buffalo, not a Bills fan, he is concerned about the team, not bashing it.

I kinda get the feeling that coach is willing to take a chance on young guys with issues..
They still have a chance to get their act together..

A guy like TO will never change..
33 and still a brat...

Joey 22 said:
Come down he is a Fins fan up at Buffalo, not a Bills fan, he is concerned about the team, not bashing it.
I knew something didn't seem right about that:
buffalofanatic said:
Please, stop! Why don't I know enough about him...because I'm a Bills fan? That comment shows me your true knowledge and I'm not concerned that I will get left behind in a conversation with you. You obviously can't have a civil conversation and state facts. You must go with the "he's not a Dolphin fan, so he must not know anything about football" stance. That's ridiculous and makes you look very ignorant.

EBMisfit said:

I don't argue that he seems to be a bit of a "character flawed" guy...which surprised me that the Bills drafted him, considering Marv's wanting only "good guys" on the team. However, I was merely stating an observation. Your point is valid.

Back
Top Bottom