Are the Dolphins concerned with character? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Are the Dolphins concerned with character?

fightinfinfan22 said:
im glad i am not the coach either, if you read my whole post to my terrible point, i clearly stated that the reason we didnt pick up the players i mentioned was due primarily to money. read before you attack my own personal views. character issues are represented in the players we have presently with mcmichael, and vick, not to mention manny wright. i have no problem with that, people make mistakes, however, at the time ty law became available, there were huge concerns about our secondary, i only pointed out that he would have made an immediate impact on the season, but at a high cost. the question was about character, not price, would you rather have an unroven player with character issues, or someone who has already proven to be great with them......done......end of story, dont attack me and make me look like a casual doofus fan, whos opinions mean nothing just because you spend your whole life on finheaven.

hahahah, if the shoe fit's wear it.

buffalofanatic said:
It seems that Saban is very open to taking chances on players with "character issues". Does this concern any fans? An example that you could compare the Dolphins to would be the Bengals. The Bengals have a coach who believed that he could work with these types of players, but it is starting to catch up to them...as it always does. Are there any worries that the Dolphins may be taking too many of these types of players. I say this because I read the article about them being a front-runner for Ahmad Brooks in the supplemental draft. Last year they took another "character issue" guy in Wright in the supplemental draft and he had some issues in his first year. Thoughts?

The difference, as I see it, is that the Bengals guys have shown no propensity to change their behavior after being selected by the team and our guys, so far, have. That's not to say that Vick or Brooks won't put their stripes back on and do something stupid again, we don't really know yet. It appears that Saban and crew have done their homework on the guys they have selected and it's paid off....so far. Their is such a fine line between talent and potential and the point where character negatively affects the team (be that via bad publicity, general character, or actual performance on the field) and I'm just glad I'm not a GM that has to make that decision on a guy. Some of these guys just need that opportunity to show better for themselves and some never learn. As long as we are fielding a decent and improving team overall, experimenting on a character guy or two is a smart thing to do. Only time will really tell us how it's going to turn out. But, the low risk level that we are paying out for these guys (Vick - UDFA, Wright - 7th round) seems to counter balance the affect if one should not be able to adapt to Saban's way of thinking...

cnc66 said:
terrible point. Nick is looking for value, buy cheap sell high. He has spoken of his "process" of evaluation and it sounds as if each guy is as thoroughly checked out as possible. If Vick goes teats up tomorrow we lose nothing.

I'm glad you are not the coach
That is an excellent point. If these guys could be straightened out, they would help us out in the long run far more then a couple of seasons with a sucked up salary cap and a loud mouthed, self-absorbed individual like T.O.. I agree that you can't deny the talent, but it comes at a horrible price.

CubanCulebra said:
While I'm very much on board with the "buy cheap, sell high" philosophy, are we forgeting that Ahmad Brooks might cost us as high as a 3rd round pick? That's a high cost in my opinion. But I've read articles where they called this kid the "next Ray Lewis." I'd be willing to gamble on that, especially with our current lack of depth at LB. Problem players? LOL I'm a fan of THE U baby. Bring 'em all on.
Brooks wouldn't cost the Dolphins any higher of a draft choice than what they bid for him. So if it's a third rounder, than it's because Saban thought he was worth a third rounder.

This is from a May 5th interview. It gives a feel for Saban's philosophy on the subject of character issues. Read past who is specifically being talked about to see where Nick is coming from. I'll let you decide if you feel due diligence is being exercised.

Nick Saban:
On what intrigues about Marcus Vick) – “The guy obviously has got a lot of ability. We’re looking for numbers of guys to look at in this camp. It’s really about us trying to give people opportunities. That’s not to say that we don’t continue to evaluate all their issues. Maybe that’s why we bring certain people in to evaluate them in this camp, to be around them for three days, to find out what we think of them as people and what kind of ability they truly have and whether their upside is worth the investment that you have to make to see if they can contribute to your team. Obviously there is a certain kind of character and attitude that we want on our team. That’s a big factor and a big part of the equation as well. But that’s something that we can evaluate over this three-day period also.â€Â

(After what happened with Ricky Williams, if he’s more concerned about players with off-field issues) – “I’ve always been concerned about any player that has any issues and how that will affect his ability to get on the field. Really the bottom line is when a player has issues that affect him being on the field, they’re pretty significant because those things kept them from being able to perform. If football is important to them and this game is important to them and being a good player is important to them, that’s certainly a factor in making a decision as to whether you want them on the team or not. Ricky’s situation doesn’t have anything to do with that. Ricky did not change my philosophy in any way shape or form. We made a commitment to Ricky, he’s on our team, he is a part of our team and we want him back on our team in the future. We’re committed to supporting him in ways that we’re allowed to support him while he’s suspended. There is no comparison in his situation to any other situation.â€Â

(On what he likes about Marcus Vick as an athlete and how they had him graded) – “We certainly thought he had the potential to contribute at some position in the National Football League. We just don’t bring people here to practice coaching them. They have to have something to offer and some guys have a lot to offer athletically and some other issues create some concerns about whether they’re the kind of people you want on your team, how they affect the team chemistry and how they represent this organization. This a first-class organization and we want to it to be represented that way. We’re also about giving people opportunities. I talked to Frank Beamer this week. I talked to him about this. We feel comfortable in giving a guy an opportunity to come to a three-day tryout camp.â€Â

(On after talking with Marcus, what kind of impression he got about his commitment) – “I think Marcus Vick – and I think anybody at Virginia Tech will tell you – is a tremendous competitor. Maybe sometimes he hasn’t channeled his emotions in the right direction as a competitor, and that’s probably a maturity issue and something that he obviously needs to work on because there are consequences for that. Making good choices and decisions about what you do on and off the field is really important in beng a part of an organization. I haven’t had a sit-down with him because we want to evaluate and see what he does in this camp before we make any decisions about what we’ll do, but that will be a part of the process of evaluating him.â€Â

guys have lives outside of football and sometimes guys get caught doing dumb stuff its part of being young. how many of our team leaders partyed in college but didnt get cuaght. most of the character issues saban brings in are getting the only chance theyre gonna get to play in the nfl, and that corrects alot of issues. even t.o was a model player in philly untill the last year of his contract

Don't know exactly what you're getting at, but I know this; I'm sure glad Saban took a chance on Crowder, paid off big time.

cnc66 said:
This is from a May 5th interview. It gives a feel for Saban's philosophy on the subject of character issues. Read past who is specifically being talked about to see where Nick is coming from...

This pretty much sums it up the best. Straight from Saban's lips. He is obviously willing to take a chance on a talented but troubled player, but only if it doesn't adversely affect the team chemistry, and only so long as they can represent the Dolphins as a first-class organization.

Works for me.

I have kind of a wierd view on all this stuff. I dont think that Saban is taking players with character issues. To me Saban is taking a chance on good players with maturity issues. Most of the issues that these players have are because of maturity not them as a person. Many people do the same thing these guys have done and are still good people that made bad immature decisions.

I dont think that Saban has the ability to change a bad person into a good person, but I do think that he can make somebody more mature.

buffalofanatic said:
Thanks, but I'm actually a Bills. I just am not one to trash another team just because they're my favorite team's rival. I can have an intellectual conversation and discuss each team's flaws & strengths without automatically thinking a Dolphin's fan is an idiot, just because he roots for Miami. However, my alliance is 100% with the Bills.

Ahhhhhhhhh. Bills fans make me sick. Ahhh.... Ahhhh... Buffalo Balls fan on Dolphins forum.... what is going on here..... Just kidding man!!!!!:sidelol:

Yes. People with serious problems anyway. Why do you people think Saban said Hell NO!!! We Don't Want Any Punk Bi**h T.O.:sidelol:

G-Force said:
Yes. People with serious problems anyway. Why do you people think Saban said Hell NO!!! We Don't Want Any Punk Bi**h T.O.:sidelol:

clear.gif

Shamboubou said:
I have kind of a wierd view on all this stuff. I dont think that Saban is taking players with character issues. To me Saban is taking a chance on good players with maturity issues. Most of the issues that these players have are because of maturity not them as a person. Many people do the same thing these guys have done and are still good people that made bad immature decisions.

I dont think that Saban has the ability to change a bad person into a good person, but I do think that he can make somebody more mature.

good post!

That's exactly why Saban doesn't take chances on a guy like TO

buffalofanatic said:
Not true. You're not giving the other players in the locker room any sort of credit. Yes, you don't get hit with the money on the cap, but the damage that a "character issue" player can do in the room is unmeasurable. You never know what that might be, but you can't just dismiss that part of the equation.

This is nonsense of the highest order.

Demetrius Underwood, Cecil Collins, insert name of scumbag, don't do a bit of damage to this team. Why? Because there is no investment in them.

If you sign a guy like TO who has a 45 mil dollar contract with a 10Mil signing bonus, that is a distraction. If Marcus Vick loses his mind who the hell cares? With all of the "questionable character" guys on the team (Ricky, Vick, F.Murphy, etc, etc), Nick is playing with house money. We have nothing to lose.

There is a small chance that one of those yahoos turns out to be a great football player. If he does, he'll do so in a Fins uniform. Thats the risk. And its a risk loaded with upside.

Good God, Bills fans are annoying.

Back
Top Bottom