Are the Dolphins concerned with character? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Are the Dolphins concerned with character?

Joey 22 said:
Come down he is a Fins fan up at Buffalo, not a Bills fan, he is concerned about the team, not bashing it.

Thanks, but I'm actually a Bills. I just am not one to trash another team just because they're my favorite team's rival. I can have an intellectual conversation and discuss each team's flaws & strengths without automatically thinking a Dolphin's fan is an idiot, just because he roots for Miami. However, my alliance is 100% with the Bills.

Quick Question for you. Of the players on the team tha "have character" how many points did they get us from it(not TD's, PATs, FGs, but character points)?

I haven't seen that stat on the back of the players cards or media sheets. Did we ever start a game with more points then the other guys cause we had players with more character?

I'm not going to go in depth but these guys are role models on the feild not off. I teach my children the difference and who their real role models and hero's should be.

buffalofanatic said:
Thanks, but I'm actually a Bills. I just am not one to trash another team just because they're my favorite team's rival. I can have an intellectual conversation and discuss each team's flaws & strengths without automatically thinking a Dolphin's fan is an idiot, just because he roots for Miami. However, my alliance is 100% with the Bills.

Cool I thought you where a Fins fan cause you never bashed Saban, I dont mind if you bash Brooks, since he is not a Fin yet, and regarding the rest of the players mentioned I just explained in my post above why we take flyers on them, Ricky cant do us more harm than he has already, but if does plays any games he showed last year he can still contribute, Vick will probably stay in PS and not even see the locker rooms, and Wright is plain ol' lazy he isnt a nasty person. While Law and TO are in fact nasty, also all those guys are young and can be turned around while Law and TO cant, plus the money thing, plus the fact that you dont put the fate of your football team in the hands of Manny Wright, while TO does takes starring roles on his teams.

Mainly Im not concerned about having turds in our team since we cant get rid of them any time, not like back then with Wanny when Ricky WAS the team.

I will say this, Saban's built in the same mode as JJ when it comes to players and character, they're both risk takers, but they will kick a player off the team in a heart beat if that player continues his wrong ways.

cnc66 said:
terrible point. Nick is looking for value, buy cheap sell high. He has spoken of his "process" of evaluation and it sounds as if each guy is as thoroughly checked out as possible. If Vick goes teats up tomorrow we lose nothing.

I'm glad you are not the coach
im glad i am not the coach either, if you read my whole post to my terrible point, i clearly stated that the reason we didnt pick up the players i mentioned was due primarily to money. read before you attack my own personal views. character issues are represented in the players we have presently with mcmichael, and vick, not to mention manny wright. i have no problem with that, people make mistakes, however, at the time ty law became available, there were huge concerns about our secondary, i only pointed out that he would have made an immediate impact on the season, but at a high cost. the question was about character, not price, would you rather have an unroven player with character issues, or someone who has already proven to be great with them......done......end of story, dont attack me and make me look like a casual doofus fan, whos opinions mean nothing just because you spend your whole life on finheaven.

fightinfinfan22 said:
im glad i am not the coach either, if you read my whole post to my terrible point, i clearly stated that the reason we didnt pick up the players i mentioned was due primarily to money. read before you attack my own personal views. character issues are represented in the players we have presently with mcmichael, and vick, not to mention manny wright. i have no problem with that, people make mistakes, however, at the time ty law became available, there were huge concerns about our secondary, i only pointed out that he would have made an immediate impact on the season, but at a high cost. the question was about character, not price, would you rather have an unroven player with character issues, or someone who has already proven to be great with them......done......end of story, dont attack me and make me look like a casual doofus fan, whos opinions mean nothing just because you spend your whole life on finheaven.

I think he was bashing me.

buffalofanatic said:
I don't argue that he seems to be a bit of a "character flawed" guy...which surprised me that the Bills drafted him, considering Marv's wanting only "good guys" on the team. However, I was merely stating an observation. Your point is valid.
If you think that Brad Butler is an atypical case, though, then perhaps I didn't make it strongly enough- he's hardly the first Bill (or Levy) player to have "character issues". Just about all coaches huff and puff about how important character is, but when push comes to shove, they either have to overlook such flaws or risk being left behind when it comes to talent. Further complicating the issue is that there have been players who have learned from their mistakes (some only after multiple infractions) and it's almost impossible beforehand to distinguish these players from those who are just going to mess up again. So as long as there are players with character issues with who are more talented and/or cheaper than those without, they're going to attract attention from just about every coach in the NFL.

buffalofanatic said:
Not true. You're not giving the other players in the locker room any sort of credit. Yes, you don't get hit with the money on the cap, but the damage that a "character issue" player can do in the room is unmeasurable. You never know what that might be, but you can't just dismiss that part of the equation.

No it is true. I was pointing out that Risking big $ doesn't compare to risking little $. I don't see how you think a low salary guy with character issues would do any more "damage" than a high paid one. It would be even worse. Yes the possible negative effects on team chemistry are the same, but the risk in hurting the team's future is far less when your doing what coach nick is. He doesn't care he'll bring in Maurice Clarette for a look right now if it could help the team. Signing a T.O. or Jamal Lewis or Ty Law is a totally different story. Besides, just because somebody has past legal trouble it doesn't automatically mean they're a cancer to the team.

fightinfinfan22 said:
you forgot to mention marcus vick. im just miffed that they havent taken a chance on a "proven" character issue guy such as t.o. or ty law. i know this was because of money as opposed to their off field problems, but cmon, if were gonna take a chance on people with problems, lets get someone good. that could help this team right away.
You make a good point, but I still wouldn't want T.O.

While I'm very much on board with the "buy cheap, sell high" philosophy, are we forgeting that Ahmad Brooks might cost us as high as a 3rd round pick? That's a high cost in my opinion. But I've read articles where they called this kid the "next Ray Lewis." I'd be willing to gamble on that, especially with our current lack of depth at LB. Problem players? LOL I'm a fan of THE U baby. Bring 'em all on.

buffalofanatic said:
It seems that Saban is very open to taking chances on players with "character issues". Does this concern any fans? An example that you could compare the Dolphins to would be the Bengals. The Bengals have a coach who believed that he could work with these types of players, but it is starting to catch up to them...as it always does. Are there any worries that the Dolphins may be taking too many of these types of players. I say this because I read the article about them being a front-runner for Ahmad Brooks in the supplemental draft. Last year they took another "character issue" guy in Wright in the supplemental draft and he had some issues in his first year. Thoughts?

I think that Coach Saban is very thorough in his evaluations of his players. While I don't think Marcus Vick is a very good person from what I've heard about him, I've never sat down and talked with him and I don't have a PhD in psychiatry either.

Last year, everyone was up in arms because we signed Abram Elam, a talented defensive back who was kicked off the Notre Dame team and faced criminal charges for an alleged rape in South Bend. Elam never made the team. Last year, Saban was criticized for drafting Channing Crowder, a very talented and young linebacker who had off the field issues and Matt Roth, a talented defensive end from Iowa who was arrested in an Iowa barfight. Both Crowder and Roth have been model citizens since joining the Dolphins.

Everyone that joins this football team is scrutinized by very competent psychiatrists and Saban himself, so no, I am not concerned about the character of this team. In fact, the way they've improved, I'm proud of it.

MDFINFAN said:
I will say this, Saban's built in the same mode as JJ when it comes to players and character, they're both risk takers, but they will kick a player off the team in a heart beat if that player continues his wrong ways.

very true

The Raiders took a risk with character in their SB run in 02, except they got blown out and have been terrible ever since. Romanowski, Barret Robbins, and others were good players but had so much character questions around them. Basically, signing players with bad character may help for a year, but will hurt you later.

The thing is, most of the "character issues" guys that the Fins are bringing in are low-cost, low risk guys. Should they get out of line or simply fail to produce, it won't be a problem to kick them to the curb.

Bringing in top-dollar guys also means top-dollar guaranteed money and salary cap hits. You can't kick those guys to the curb easily, because doing so can have a very negative impact on several fronts.

And about Marcus Vick, the fact that he is high-profile sometimes seems to eclipse the fact that he is a great example of those low-cost, low-risk kind of guy that really is worth taking a look at, especially this early on in the year.

boltfan219 said:
The Raiders took a risk with character in their SB run in 02, except they got blown out and have been terrible ever since. Romanowski, Barret Robbins, and others were good players but had so much character questions around them. Basically, signing players with bad character may help for a year, but will hurt you later.

Taking players with "character issues" is what Al Davis does. He built that franchise with it and until recently, succeeded with it. Saban on the other hand is taking risk on players whose "character issues" has as much to do with immaturity than anything else.

Back
Top Bottom