Are the Dolphins legitmate "Super Bowl" Contenders? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Are the Dolphins legitmate "Super Bowl" Contenders?

Extremely uphill. Over the past 20 years, only one NFL team has made the playoffs one season after allowing 8+ YPPA, the 2002 Atlanta Falcons. The 2009 Dolphins were last at 8.2.

That trend probably retreats much further than 20 years, but my Excel database with full stats begins at 1990.

nope...that will be next year...

This year I do expect playoffs though. I mean we had the playoffs in our grasp last year...with the toughest schedule in football, and let's face it...a swiss cheese defense. If we get that fixed, which I believe we have, then we should be able to get into the playoffs this year.

we will compete for a playoff spot but no we will not reach the Superbowl "this year"

no we are not heading to superbowl we are still a young team we should be in range of 8-8-10-6

It's possible but I wouldn't put money on it. We still have a lot of inexperienced players at skill positions.

Miami has the pieces to be superbowl contenders. It would not be wise to bet on them to do so, but if they put it together for a full season..... They could be.

I would think we are still a year away from being a serious contender.

But, "that's why they play the games and "on any given sunday" etc etc.

With a few breaks - we can go far

Ahp, Super Bowl? Don't talk about... Super Bowl. You kiddin me?

I think we're still a year away. Obviously this will depend a lot on what happens in the season with injuries/performance etc all being a factor but as we stand here today I can see us finishing the season 9-7 or 10-6.

Assuming however that Odrick, Misi and Jerry are starters and Edds/Jones/Carroll get some situational playing time then I can see us next offseason only really having a major need at RB possibly lesser needs at safety and maybe a field stretching WR depending on how Hartline goes as a deep threat.

If we can go into next offseason with as few needs as that then we're obviously going to be well placed to kick on and become a real contender

I think you can be but these are my questions:

1. Can henne take that next step?

2. Is Ronnie healthy?

3. How good will the D be under Nolan?

If these come up positive like I believe they can then you guys will be contenders.

2. Is Ronnie healthy?

If these come up positive like I believe they can then you guys will be contenders.
I think all three will happen.

But specificly, Ronnie should stay healthy because we can now throw down the field a bit more often and won't have to reliy totally on the run game to score (or special teams). Not only will him and Ricky not have to run as much. Ronnie won't have to act as a receiver as often. And if Nolan can take Denver's crappy D and turn it into the 7th ranks D in one year, I really think he can do that with ours.

Last edited by a moderator:

2. Is Ronnie healthy?

junc,

I think the D can only be better than last season, both from a player and coaching perspective. It's unlikely to go from our major weakness to a strength in one season, but I hope it'll hold up.

Henne is still pretty untested. He's a question mark still (like Sanchez), but an exciting one.

Ronnie's fitness is the real worry for me. We had a great run of games mid-season when we were converting a huge number of third downs with our running game. Our ability to grind out a move in the chains was eating up the clock and masking other deficiencies. As soon as Ronnie got injured, not only did the Wildcat suffer, but our third down weapons got a lot blunter and out flaws were exposed. Until Hilliard/Cobbs/Sheets show a lot more, Ronnie is fundamental to our offense. Marshall allows us evolve our game a lot, but we're still gonna be a big, mean, smashmouth attack.

We have to become a playoff contender first -- and we have a good shot at that this year. But our schedule is pretty tough for a 3rd place team and I get the feeling our ceiling is right at 10-6. The question will be if that’s good enough to make the show.

Real legit SB contenders? No, not at this point. Too many unanswered questions and unresolved issues. But yes, we should be a substantially better TEAM than last year.

Back
Top Bottom