Are the Dolphins legitmate "Super Bowl" Contenders? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Are the Dolphins legitmate "Super Bowl" Contenders?

We did have both Indy and NO beat with just a few mins to go

So did a lot of teams. Those teams won a ton of close games.

But in the end, their elite play overwhelmed the Dolphins. The Dolphins could no longer score enough points quick enough to stay in those games.

We kicked field goals at the end they went on td drives. Its why those teams are great.

It's not too much to ask to make it past the 1st round of the playoffs this year, IMO.

The wonderful thing about the draft we had... is the amount of players that will be able to come in and start right away. Odrick, Misi, Edds, Jerry, even Jones. I expect all of these player to come in and play almost immediately, of course most of them won't start but will certainly be in the game at some point. We'll be able to figure out who we are very quickly, after about week 6 I'll be able to tell you if we can win the big one. The addition of a top 5 wide out, a linebacker who excels in just about everything, and a brand new scheme from one of the best defensive minds in the league right now can't do anything but make us leaps and bounds better.

I'm sick of saying "Maybe not this year, but NEXT year sure!" Tuna seems to be feeling the same way, thus the sudden splurge for talent. We can do it this year, a ton of question marks all over the defensive side.... but why can't they be great? Oddly enough I think the biggest variable in all of this is Davis' and Smith's progress, if those two take the next step AND we can generate a pass rush? I mean we're already pretty stout against the run, if we can stop the pass as well then you'd better watch out.

Like legit super bowl contenders?

Sorry guys, but i'd have to say no.

Why? Because we have a 2nd year QB (2nd year starting) or because we have a few holes? Tell me the last team in the Superbowl that didnt have a few holes. Also, Henne is very poised, learned a lot and has great coaching, so I believe he can do more than just 'manage' a game. He can win games if we need him to and he proved that last year.

I think we have a few things that make us contenders. Big front lines, great running backs, a superstar Middle linebacker and wide receiver and fast young corners. I think if Henne steps up, we are legitimate contenders.

there's a lot of IFs IMO ... the main ones , in order of importance are:

1- Chad Henne Taking it up a notch
2- The rookies making an impact ASAP
3- Be lucky and avoid the injury bug

IF you picture a scenario where this all happens, you can safely say Miami has a shot at the superbowl IMO ...

My immediate gut reaction is no, but it is way too early to tell. A lot of this still depends upon the progress of young players.
I agree. Right now not quite but I really like the direction the Dolphins are heading.

I also have heartburn with fans putting too much stock in the draft. Rookies are rookies and it takes time to adjust to the pro game and learn systems.

Just because Mel Kiper says that the Fins had a good draft doesn't mean that it will play out on Sunday afternoons. What you now think is a hole fixed in the draft could easily become one during the season if the rookie doesn't pan out.

I am really looking forward to this season!

I think they are serious playoff contenders that could make some real noise. They have many tools in place on the offensive and defensive side of the ball. Don't get me wrong I love the moves the front office has made, but there is still something missing. I think the team has the team to make a serious run in he playoffs.

I think you can be but these are my questions:

1. Can henne take that next step?

2. Is Ronnie healthy?

3. How good will the D be under Nolan?

If these come up positive like I believe they can then you guys will be contenders.
hey thanks junc! good to see you saying something positive, I hate the jets but you guys got a good squad too!

NOPE, we are one more draft and a few more FA's from being legit contender's.

The bad play of ILB last year got fixed to a degree with Dansby. But Chowder is still here. Everyone has Wake starting and some how being dominate out of the 2pt stance. I don't. Simply because all of Wake's quickness and speed comes from his hand in the dirt. Its simple, was JT a better DE or OLB? Thats how I compare the 2. Wake is a very good rusher from the DE spot. He does need to learn more moves though. Teams got to the point where the T would just ride him out of the way.

I was wrong about Wake PS last year. I admitted it. But I wish people would admit to themselves, that Wake showed NOTHING in the 3 pt stance. Let him prove it first. Thats all I ask. He hasn't won a starting spot at WOLB yet, let him earn it.

And well the FS hole is still there until we see what the young guys do. I unlike most here, don't hold high expectations on our rookies. Unlike most here, last year I seen the expectations of S. Smith from some here as being a shut down corner or getting 6-10picks. Did any of that pan out? He isn't very physical and he seemed to wear down as the season progressed.

I seen MANY write ups last year before TC, that White was gonna be good for this and that, he would be the 'weapon'. He would 'revolutionize' the position. Did he?

Patience. Let these guys prove their worth. DOn't hold such high expectations for a team that finished 7-9. Which most here last year seen as a 10-6, 11-5 team going into 09. Did they meet your expectations last year?

I will make my season prediction before week 1. I did last year...and I was a 7-9/8-8 believer. Which wasn't the popular thing to do around these parts.

and the Bills spanked us

My brother, a huge Bills fan, loves to say that everytime I try to say anything positive about MIA.

He says, " No matter how bad the Bills look sometimes, they find a way to beat MIA" If not for the sweep in 08....he's about right.

Back
Top Bottom